Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How far would you travel to get your car nct tested

• 17-04-2010 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

I tried to book my car in for a test at my local nct centre, rang the booking number only to be told nothing available this month or next and she would send me a booking in the post, then she said try book it on line, I asked has she not just done that? to which she replied you will get it quicker on line and ended the call.
    So I went online and there is nothing available anywhere in the country at any test centre for this month or next, I was prepared to travel anywhere within a 60 mile radius to get the car tested but thats not even an option.
    The online booking system only seems to go to end of May so no way of checking June for free spaces.
    I would take a cancellation booking at short notice from any centre I can get to if that was possible but its not as far as I can see.
    My nct expires this month and it looks like im going to be driving without one for a while, seems crazy to me that I will be at risk of being fined and getting penalty points even though I am doing everything in my power to do things right.
    Sorry for thr long post but had to get it off my chest.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I wouldn't.
    If I couldn't get it done in Carlow when needed I'd be waiting until I could.

-just answering thread title ;) -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

about 1.2 or 1.3 km ...because that's where the nearest one is.

So far I've always booked 3 months ahead and never had a problem getting a test in time, but the new management seems to be causing afew issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I tried to book my car in for a test at my local nct centre, rang the booking number only to be told nothing available this month or next and she would send me a booking in the post, then she said try book it on line, I asked has she not just done that? to which she replied you will get it quicker on line and ended the call.
    So I went online and there is nothing available anywhere in the country at any test centre for this month or next, I was prepared to travel anywhere within a 60 mile radius to get the car tested but thats not even an option.
    The online booking system only seems to go to end of May so no way of checking June for free spaces.
    I would take a cancellation booking at short notice from any centre I can get to if that was possible but its not as far as I can see.
    My nct expires this month and it looks like im going to be driving without one for a while, seems crazy to me that I will be at risk of being fined and getting penalty points even though I am doing everything in my power to do things right.
    Sorry for thr long post but had to get it off my chest.

Thats why you are given the opportunity to get it done three months before the expiry. I was able to get a booking in fonthill within two weeks and a retest within 3 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

A colleague of mine booked an NCT test only last week, by phone, and had no problem getting a booking, and for a Saturday too. From what I remember I think it's for 2 weeks from now - I didn't really pay much attention as I thought there wasn't anything special about getting a booking date for the NCT. I think it's one near Ballymun (I think she said it was there).
    I had my NCT done at the Newbridge one near the Tougher's garage in December, and got a booking for the following Saturday - that was an online booking, and they had quite a few spots available if memory serves me right.
    I would ring the NCT again if I were you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

peasant wrote: »
    about 1.2 or 1.3 km ...because that's where the nearest one is.

So far I've always booked 3 months ahead and never had a problem getting a test in time, but the new management seems to be causing afew issues
    when did the new management take over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

beginning of this year, if I remember correctly

k_mac wrote: »
    Thats why you are given the opportunity to get it done three months before the expiry. I was able to get a booking in fonthill within two weeks and a retest within 3 days.
    I put 2 cars through the test late last year, got one test within a week and the second within two weeks so didn't expect a problem this time.
    Found the woman on the phone to be very unhelpful.
    As for booking the test 3 months in advance, yes I agree with you but I could'nt even get a booking when I rang.
    Has anyone here tried to book a test in the last week or so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

The problem is the way their booking system works. 1/3 of slots are made available off the bat. The other 2/3 become available only 2 weeks before hand, its far from ideal. Just get into the habbit of every day ringing to get a cancellation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

just remember if you have to wait more than 28days for a slot , you get the NCT for free

http://www.inishowennews.com/NCTrefund.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Do retests need to be booked in the same centre as the original test?
    (Thought the answer was yes, but can't find it on the site)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Well its nice for some. Nearest NCT centre to me is 45 miles away. We expect to 'travel' for stuff.

mickdw wrote: »
    Well its nice for some. Nearest NCT centre to me is 45 miles away. We expect to 'travel' for stuff.
    My nearest is 10 miles away, but at this stage I would be happy to drive 45 miles just to get it sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

If you go online early in the morning there are usually spaces, as long as you get on before 9:30 u should get one easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I would refuse to leave North Tipperary. If that's where the car is registered then that is where it is tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have one centre 15 minutes away and another 25 minutes away. If I couldn't get one in either of those I'd wait.

I just got mine done about 6 weeks ago though with 2 weeks notice so I'm good till 2012 :)

Advertisement