Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 NBA Playoffs

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I would have put game 7 as a coin toss before the Perkins injury, now I think that Lakers are going to grind it out. As much as Rasheed has played ok this series, the Sheed/Perkins/Davis rotation down low really worked to make things difficult for Gasol and Bynum.

Game 6 was a bit odd in that the Lakers got good production from the bench for one, and the Celtics missed some straight forward shots. I hope the Celtics pull it together but if I was betting on it I'd have to go for the Lakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Hazys wrote: »
    Lets go Celtics!

Lets get it done tonight!! its our best shot.

The Celtics have remained a team all the way through basically playing at the same level in nearly all games but the Lakers are slowly declining. The first few games were all about Gasol and Fisher and Kobe was just being Kobe...now they are down to just Kobe.

Also if Ray plays well tonight, i think we win...theres going to be some atomsphere in the city if they do!!! Lets do it Boston!!

Man, last night was depressing...winnig game 7 now looks a reach for Boston

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

lafortezza wrote: »
    I would have put game 7 as a coin toss before the Perkins injury, now I think that Lakers are going to grind it out. As much as Rasheed has played ok this series, the Sheed/Perkins/Davis rotation down low really worked to make things difficult for Gasol and Bynum.

Game 6 was a bit odd in that the Lakers got good production from the bench for one, and the Celtics missed some straight forward shots. I hope the Celtics pull it together but if I was betting on it I'd have to go for the Lakers.

I have to agree, I don't think Perkins will be a massive loss, he is good on the defensive end but does not score much. The rotation has worked well though so if Rasheed and Davis can stay out of foul trouble they should be ok.

Celtics have the mentality to bounce back, they have lost big in some other games on their run to the final, it has been the way a lot of games have gone in the playoffs this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Put 20 on Celtics at 5/2 for this game, wasn't very confident but wanted something on it anyway.. have to say pleasantly surprised with how they've started, they are looking good to hang on to it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Stream anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Lol, I'm watching in Slovak but I have Slovak satellite so at least I've good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Rondo is playin a blinder. Kobe is bottling it, but he is getting zero help too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

evil_seed wrote: »
    Rondo is playin a blinder. Kobe is bottling it, but he is getting zero help too

poor celtics, everything going pete thong for them in the 4th quarter.

meh cant beat la in their back yard

stupid crowd are worse the the horns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Oh the pain of it, I hate basketball and everything and everyone :mad:

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

great win
    kobe is king forever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Karlos13

Kobe is King??

23 points off 24 shots is not a regal performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Karlos13 wrote: »
    Kobe is King??

23 points off 24 shots is not a regal performance.

He didn't shoot the ball well yeah but he still found a way to grab 15 boards, hem up Rondo as he had for almost the entire series (which is being overlooked), and challenge shots on help defense.

kobe is untouchable
    as numerous laker legends have commented, he is the greatest laker of all time
    magical
    and he was only operating at 75% in the finals this year

• Registered Users Posts: 38,278 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

conno16 wrote: »
    kobe is untouchable
    as numerous laker legends have commented, he is the greatest laker of all time
    magical
    and he was only operating at 75% in the finals this year
    He certainly is not the greatest Laker of all time. Magic Johnson is by far and away the greatest Laker to ever play the game. Kobe has been superb this last two years but he has only now learned to be a team player.

He has all these NBA titles but he was on a ridiculous all star team for three of them where Shaq ruled the boards. Shaq is ahead of Kobe on the all time list too imo.

Magic would have an awful lot of records if he didn't have to retire so young.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

eagle eye wrote: »
    He certainly is not the greatest Laker of all time. Magic Johnson is by far and away the greatest Laker to ever play the game. Kobe has been superb this last two years but he has only now learned to be a team player.

He has all these NBA titles but he was on a ridiculous all star team for three of them where Shaq ruled the boards. Shaq is ahead of Kobe on the all time list too imo.

I would definitely have Kobe ahead of Shaq now but I would still have Magic ahead of Kobe.

I think I'd agree that Kobe has pulled slightly ahead of Shaq now on the greatest list. 5 Rings better than 4, and Kobe has been clutch in the big moments, Shaq was sometimes withdrawn from the ends of games because of hack-a-shaq.
    I still prefer Shaq though as a team mate and player.

1. kobe
    2. magic
    3. o'neal
    4. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    5. Goodrich
    6. Westie

thats my all time top 6
    would be some collection of players to play 3 -on- 3
    i'd ref

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

lafortezza wrote: »
    I think I'd agree that Kobe has pulled slightly ahead of Shaq now on the greatest list. 5 Rings better than 4, and Kobe has been clutch in the big moments, Shaq was sometimes withdrawn from the ends of games because of hack-a-shaq.
    I still prefer Shaq though as a team mate and player.

Shaq has fallen out with too many sidekicks to be seen as a good teammate IMO. There's a large question mark hanging over him in that regard.

• Advertisement

I think I'd have Magic still ahead of Kobe. NOt by much though.

The Lakers threepeat team was definitely not an allstar team - it was Shaq, Kobe, and a bunch of very good role players. Glen Rice was only on the team for the 2000 run - he was the only other one that could claim to be a star in any sense.

And I disagree about Kobe and the teamwork - Kobe is that rare breed of player, one who has managed to have success without learning to be a team player. :)

#15 wrote: »
    Shaq has fallen out with too many sidekicks to be seen as a good teammate IMO. There's a large question mark hanging over him in that regard.
    I agree and I think that he could have won at least 2 more rings during his career if he cared a little more about winning championships and less about his media career/films/rapping/being a big NBA personality. Possibly because he had such athletic gifts, he sometimes coasted through the regular season and then turned it on in the playoffs, you can't really say that he played hard every season with each team he was with. Which is a shame because he actually had the potential to match Jordans dominance of the league if he had tried.

That said he was still a force of nature at his peak, demanding double teams constantly, hack-a-shaq was about the only weakness he had because he was actually an underrated passer as well as being a monstrous rebounder and scorer. When he was at the Lakers I think he was considerably more valuable than Kobe, and when those 2 players fell out and Shaq got traded I think it had more to do with a young Kobe wanting his own team and having personality conflicts with Shaq/Phil Jackson, than Shaq being a bad teammate.

Still one of my favourite players ever though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,278 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

#15 wrote: »
    I think I'd have Magic still ahead of Kobe. NOt by much though.

The Lakers threepeat team was definitely not an allstar team - it was Shaq, Kobe, and a bunch of very good role players. Glen Rice was only on the team for the 2000 run - he was the only other one that could claim to be a star in any sense.

And I disagree about Kobe and the teamwork - Kobe is that rare breed of player, one who has managed to have success without learning to be a team player. :)
    Well I'm talking about fantastic players. The first year they won it, they had Shaq, Glen Rice, A.C. Green, Ron Harper and Kobe as the starting five and thats just ridiculous in fairness. On top of that they had Rick Fox who was a superb player and would have been a starter on any other team in the league at that time, and they had Robert Horry who was a great player and Derek Fisher was there too.

When they lost Rice they brought in Horace Grant who was another big, big star in the NBA.

The third year was with less big names but still a hugely talented bunch of players. Shaq was awesome at that time, he was just unstoppable.

As a Laker I suppose Kobe is ahead of Shaq but as far as an all-time NBA list goes, for me Shaq is still ahead of Kobe.

Well I'm talking about fantastic players. The first year they won it, they had Shaq, Glen Rice, A.C. Green, Ron Harper and Kobe as the starting five and thats just ridiculous in fairness. On top of that they had Rick Fox who was a superb player and would have been a starter on any other team in the league at that time, and they had Robert Horry who was a great player and Derek Fisher was there too.

When they lost Rice they brought in Horace Grant who was another big, big star in the NBA.

Those players were good players, but they were not stars in any real sense.

Every championship winning team has good players among the supporting cast.

AC Green and Ron Harper were ancient, Fisher didn't breakout till the 01 run. Grant was strictly a role player.

I'm not knocking them as players, but it wasn't a star studded LA team.

It was very much a 1-2 Shaq-Kobe punch, supported by very good role players. IMO.

Advertisement