Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

camping in slieve bloom

Options
  • 17-04-2010 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm going wild camping with my son (8) next month and was going to head down to slieve bloom from Dublin.
    I'm looking for somewhere that is both remote and picturesque yet not to far from the beaten path since I can't carry everything and my son moans about carrying his school bag. Looking at images on the interweb, around Glenbarrow Waterfall would be perfect.
    Has anyone camped around glenbarrow?
    Are there any open spaces nearby or just off the walk that will permit me to erect a 6 man tent (only 2 of us, but my other tent is a 1 man, which is far to small) with enough room for a camp fire which I know isn't really necessary, but tell that to a child who wants melted marshmallows:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 redelephant

Glenbarrow is lovely but not many good camping spots - off the trails is forest and I can't think of any easily accessible spot where you could put up a big tent. I think Monicknew would be a better place - there is a lovely grassy area down by the river where you could camp, it's away from the road but not so far junior would find the walk too long. Make sure you visit Capard Wood during your visit to Slieve Bloom, the bluebells should be out next month and it's always amazing then.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Hi, I'm new to this part of boards but I camped in Glenbarrow for 2 nights last Summer.

There's very little in the way of camp spots however we did manage to find a great spot for our 4 man tent. It's a 10 minute walk from the car park but off the beaten track so you won't get any passers by.

The only problem is that you have to cross the river....

Park up your car and walk down the hill, the path bends around to the left with an embankment on your right and the river at the bottom. Cross the river here and beyond is a flat area, sheltered by trees and not overly visible from the main path. There's obvious signs of other campers though that left a mess behind so you may have company.

The river crossing wasn't a problem for us last year at the start of our weekend.... we arrived, crossed the river (only 6 inches of water), set up camp and went hiking as it started to rain. Came back, cooked dinner and went to sleep....woke up the next day to find the river had turned into a torrent and was over 3 foot deep! :( Didn't bother us but it could be dangerous for your little fella crossing back over if you get some bad rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Gocman

Hi I like to see this glenbarrow coming from louth just want to know the directions to the place

Advertisement