Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Quinn Direct quote

• 17-04-2010 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭

My quote last year was 515EUR. New quote for this year 583eur. Doesn make sense to me especially when they need every customer they can get.Never made a claim, have a 5 yr. NCD and my premium has somehow gone up?? 30 and drive a 07 1.9 golf.Are they chancing their arm? Havent acccepted it yet. Dont think haggling with them works.Tried it last year and they didnt budge.Different situation now for em though.Should I tell em to stuff it?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Quinn Direct are known for doing that. They rope people in by giving them a low premium for the first year(s), but then increase it.

My advice would be to shop around, as I doubt you'll be able to haggle much with Quinn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

have you tried doing a new quote on their on line system?? I done this last year and it was lower than my original quote, got in lowered in the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Run the same quote again online as a new customer and see what comes out, you may be able to argue them down to that level.

However with their current financial state, you may not. Also insurance is going up for most people anyway, realistically the only people able to get reduced quotes from their existing insurers are those still building an NCB, losing endorsements/points or getting further away from their last claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

got phone call from quinn about my renewal they wanted 580 so I told them I would ring carol nash they came in at 440 I told quinn and they wouldn't match. Seems like the good old days of quinn being competitive are gone as I got a better deal for home insurance form fbd too. Pity of if you have a customer base due to being price competitive then don't be surprised when they move due to others having lower premiums.

C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

It's the same with most insurance companies these days. My initial insurance quote was up €500 (€2,400) this year but managed to managed to get it down by €300 in the end (€2,100).

Historically insurance companies were in a position whereby they were lucky to break even on their insurance book but were able to cover any insurance losses with investment gains. The vast quantities of money that they were "playing" with enabled them to make significant gains in the good days and make the insurance book look good. However, as these days are now gone insurance premiums are now on the up as the insurance companies need to make a profit. The insurance companies are attempting to turn their insurance books profitable. It's enviable that some people will change insurance providers - however it's better for the company to get rid of you rather than take a loss on the premium (you may not crash but someone else will).

Quite simple really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Breaking news: Quinn Direct in customer premium shocker

Actually - its really old news!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

People that wait in Laneways to mug Passers-by are Thieves.

- Insurance Companies are worse Thieves..... You'd expect them to have some degree of morality - but they are only governed by base greed..... Its ugly behaviour that really should not be rewarded.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Insurance costs are up across the board right now - it's not just limited to Quinn.

It always pays to shop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

MYOB wrote: »
    Run the same quote again online as a new customer and see what comes out, you may be able to argue them down to that level.

However with their current financial state, you may not. Also insurance is going up for most people anyway, realistically the only people able to get reduced quotes from their existing insurers are those still building an NCB, losing endorsements/points or getting further away from their last claim.
    Tried that.Went up to 768.Thieves.

Raiser wrote: »

- Insurance Companies are worse Thieves..... You'd expect them to have some degree of morality - but they are only governed by base greed..... Its ugly behaviour that really should not be rewarded.....
    Spot on.With the money Ive given em over the years I reckon I could've bought a nice car.Anyway I spoze tis the same story for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Huh? Most insurance companies are (or are owned by) publicly traded companies. That means they are legally obliged to make as much money as possible.

As to being 'worse than thieves', they offer a service in return for money. If you don't like the service or the price, you are free to take your money elsewhere. What's the problem here?

I find these comments particularly strange in relation to quinn. Yes, they have a reputation of being particularly sticky in relation to claims, but their business model had a huge positive impact on the market. They made driving a financial possibility for thousands of young people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

my insurance for a 1.6 passat went down 60 euros with quinn in march.5 years n.c.b.

my insurance for a 1.6 passat went down 60 euros with quinn in march.5 years n.c.b.
    You must know someone on the inside!:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I am 51
    Currently with Zurich (through my broker) €308 full comp protected.
    Tried a good few tonight
    Quinn ( second policy discount and online discount = €381
    Shopped around
    cheapest I got so far was 25plus.ie
    €307 protected full comp.
    This is for a 1.4 Tdi SEAT Cordoba Sport
    changing up to a Skoda Octavia Vrs Tdi this year all going well.
    Got a quote for full comp protected €480
    Happy enough with those prices.
    Try them op if you are over 25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

That's a bit of an unwarranted rant. Yes some insurers are far dearer than others, but the don't get (or don't want) your business.

Any of us, from the best driver to the worst, has the potential to go out on the road today and cause over €1m worth of injuries or damage. You'll thank your insurance company then

Of course I'd rather spend the money on a holiday but it is a necessary product and insurers provide it

Advertisement