Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

connecting iphone to macbook via wifi

Options
  • 17-04-2010 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I hope someone can help with the following problem

I've connected my macbook to my sound-system via a DAC and I've downloaded the "remote" app for my iphone so I can control itunes. The problem is I cannot get the iphone to connect to the macbook via my wifi, I'm an eircom customer with a Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3 router. I know that the iphone and the mb can connect as I have created an ad-hoc network between them and everything works perfectly. The problem with the ad-hoc network is when I'm on that I am no longer on the eircom wifi so can't stream online content to my hifi.

I know that the problem is a router configuration one but I just don't know enough about routers to figure out what changes I need to make. I've completely disabled the firewall on the router and on the macbook and it doesn't have any effect I still can't connect the iphone to the macbook.

Has anyone ever encountered this problem before and how did you resolve it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

Turn On Sharing within Itunes in preferences
    Then just search for libraries within remote on iPhone.
    Don't need too change anything on router. At least in my case I didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

You're thinking too much! As long as sharing is on and both iPhone and iTunes are on then same network, there's no need for anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 clen79

Big Gig and Chrislad, thanks very much for the ideas but this only works if I'm on an ad-hoc network using the macbook as a hub which then means I can't connect to the net through the router. For some reason the macbook and the iphone wont connect when they are on the router wifi network. They defo are on the same network IP addys are same apart from last digit It must be something to do with the router but still can't figure it out.

Thanks again but still no closer to a solution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

download team viewer for your mac and also in the itunes app store on your phone

i finally hooked the 2 up yesterday eve and was well impressed having the desktop on my phone :)

enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Are you switching from Ad-Hoc and then back to a Normal mode on the router?

Another option is sometimes the routers are configured to not allow devices to see one another or interact. I'll see can I pull up the specific term and some things to try.

• Advertisement

Hi Ironclaw, yeah it works on the ad-hoc but when I switch back to normal router wifi it's a dead duck. I've tried speaking to eircom but they wont support that kinda issue, also spoke to apple, they were very helpful but once they helped me figure out that it's not a problem with either device that's where their support ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

clen79 wrote: »
    Hi Ironclaw, yeah it works on the ad-hoc but when I switch back to normal router wifi it's a dead duck. I've tried speaking to eircom but they wont support that kinda issue, also spoke to apple, they were very helpful but once they helped me figure out that it's not a problem with either device that's where their support ended.

You shouldn't be on an ad-hoc network. Both the iPhone and the Macbook need to be on the same wifi network -that's the first stage.

After that, you need to pair the iPhone and iTunes on the Mac by turning on (ticking) "look for iPhone remotes" and then entering the four-digit code which is displayed. Just turning on "sharing' is not enough nor is simply being on the same network.

Then, when you have successfully paired the two, your library will appear within the remote app on your iPhone.

Still no joy

Logged onto a neighbours wifi network and everything worked perfectly instantly. So that narrowed it down to the router, called eircom and got a replacement router. Same issue with the replacement Zyxel router, spoke to eircom and was basically told to call the zyxel support directly as they cant figure it out. It all works lovely on the older style eircom router (silver with 2 antennas) but not on the new Zyxel routers. Great or what?

Zyxel say they wont support or try and solve the issue as it's eircoms problem. The firmware on the router is one specifically written for Eircom. So looks like I'm just gonna have to buy a new router cause eircom don't give a damn, once I can connect to the internet that's all they care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Can you file share on the network? Even a simple Windows work group? I would imagine your router doesn't allow clients attached to the router to interact, hence the problem. Does that router have a firewall? Or is your MacBook your trying to connect to have a firewall?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 atkinfon

I'm having exactly the same problem and the issue is with Apple's Bonjour, otherwise known as zero-conf service discovery. I have got no joy out of either Eircom or Zyxel. I have been through all the firewall settings, to the point of turning them off completely, and even messed about with other advance settings relating to multicast and RIP (Routing Information Protocol). I've also tried turning off the UPnP which made no difference.

I have never experienced problems with Bonjour on any other networks and I really don't have the time to get deeply involved with the mDSN service discovery. I'm beginning to feel that the easiest solution is to use another wireless router.

There doesn't seem to be any clear answer to this issue on the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tripoli8647

I have the exact same problem as clen79 and have tried exactly as you did with a standalone network. It also works fine on a friends network so the router is the problem.

I've found out that 'Remote' needs to use TCP 3689 and UDP 5353 but cannot figure how to ensure these are open within the router configuration.

Did any of you ever get to the bottom of this?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Resurrecting this thread as I have the same issue with the crippled Eircom router.

The problem could be resolved on the old router by putting th firewall is low security mode, on the new router even turning it off compeltely does not work.

My solution: i'm putting the Eircom piece of crap router in bridge mode and throwing my old Linksys WRT54G on the other end of it, Tomato firmware on it and I'm laughing....

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭smtdos

OP save yourself alot of time and frustration and get a new router. I spent many late nights with this issue!

The firmware installed on the zyxel eircom routers won't work with apple sharing (airport express, remote app, airplay) in my experience. I have got it working with the old netopia eircom router.

None of the apple/US forums are any help as they haven't used eircom routers.

My current setup is zyxel eircom router in bridge mode (ie only acting as a dsl modem) connected to Netgear WNDR-3700 router and everything works perfectly. Itunes library on macbook air, remote app on iphone+ipad, streaming to airport express+apple tv which is connected to TV/sound system.

Glad to answer any more questions as I think everyone should experience itunes at its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Found this when I had already spent hours converting the Eircom router to a bridge and enabling my old Linksys as the workhorse..

anyway, the attached setting will do the trick folks, but be warned I am not up to scratch with how this might affect the security of your home network.

iTunes remote working perfectly again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 paulirishlad

The problem that has affected the Zyxel Routers provided by eircom and the Apple home sharing, TV etc has now been resolved as and from 17 October 2011. Click the following link and follow the on screen instructions:

http://support.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=169&E=0000000000306304467&K=6041&Sxi=13

Finally, some closer on this aged issue.!!

Advertisement