Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd situation with Bank loan

Options
  • 17-04-2010 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Bit of Background first, 5/6 years ago a lad came over from China and was working with my mam, she used to help him out with a few things, including letting him have post delivered to her house while he was between accomodation. He went back to China 6 months ago.

Was up in my mams today and she told me the guy sent her a e-mail that he had gotten a loan from one of the banks here a year or two ago, and that he wasn't going to bother paying it back anymore and that she should ignore any mail to the house for him.

They are worried that the bank will end up selling on the debt and have debt collectors knocking on her door looking for money for the loan, my dad was just going to mark all post for the lad as 'not known at this address' and return it to the bank but I don't think that will be enough.
    Anyone out there know if they should do anything or if it will casue any headaches further down the road?

Before anyone asks, they didn't go guarantee or anything, they didn't even know he had a loan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

First off, i'd recommend it's marked 'No Longer at this address' rather than 'not known at', just to be accurate.
    Also, we had a housmate that left unpaid loans in a similar manner, the post just piled up for a few months, we had one call to the door looking for him, told them he'd moved out [2/3 years earlier] and we hadn't a forwarding address for him. that was the last we heard of it, the post eventually stopped too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

As the last poster said. Mark the post correctly and you should not have any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 npc_100

Thanks for the answers.
    In terms of getting the wording right, he never actually stayed at the address, just had post sent there, so not sure what the best wording to use is.

My worry isn't so much getting hassle from the bank, it is more what happens if they sell the debt to some collector who wont care as much about wording on post.

Advertisement