Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good books?

• 17-04-2010 11:03pm

Hey all,

Just starting to try and learn DSLR photography properly over the last couple of weeks.

Mid last week Understanding Exposure arrived in my letter box and I quite enjoyed flicking through it. Have read it once and intend to do so again.

I ordered it from The Book Despository and it took about two weeks to arrive (but postage is free so I can't complain).

With that in mind, I reckon I can get through it cover to cover at least twice more if I order another book(s) off them tomorrow or Monday.

I am looking for suggestions? As I say, I've been through Understanding Exposure, quite liked it and will be happy to read it again. Putting this down to writing style, I was thinking of investing in Beyond Portraiture: Creative People Photography and Bryan Petersons' Understanding Photography Field Guide.

However, before I decide to buy anything, I was looking to see if anyone on here has any recommendations at all (books that are also preferably stocked by the Book Depository website. They're pretty well priced and seen as I'm in no rush the postage wait won't bother me too much).

So yeah... Anyone know of any solid in-depth books for beginners?

Apparently (according to some Amazon reviews) The Hot Shoe Diaries is supposed to be a good book on Flash.

I have to admit though, I know I'm still at the very early learning stages, but I'm quite interested in buildings/landscapes, etc. but there doesn't seem to be much that concentrates on it?

Just looking for something that's another good book to follow up Understanding Exposure with. I have a book called "Digital SLR Photography - In Easy Steps" but it's useless for learning the basics from. It's more a series of very, very basic "what to do in X and Y situations" which isn't much use to me (though I do throw it into my bag when I head out with my camera... just in case).

So yeah... Anyone want to recommend something? As you can probably tell.. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to try next... :)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

There was something mentioned here, but the idea didn't catch up... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭WheresMyCamera?

It terms of books about lighting you'd be hard pressed to find a better list than the one on the Strobist website.

I have the Hot Shoe Diaries and The Moment It Clicks as well as Understanding Exposure. I'd say the latter is the most practical about explaining how to use various settings to get achieve certain results with your camera. The other two are just different in their approach to photography. There are full reviews on each in the link above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

The Hot Shoe Diaries isn't really suited to newbies, espically those not using nikon gear.
    Also, it's more of the authors thought process during each shoot rather than a Guide on how to master off camera flash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I bought the Digital Photography Handbook by Doug Harman, it's more a dip into for quick tips book rather than a good cover to cover book. Not bad for beginners but tbh, I learned more out of magazines and reading articles online that i did from that.

I heard that portrait book is very good though.

What do you guys make of Skott Kelby's Digital Photography series?

Seem to be getting great reviews on Amazon as a good guide for beginners?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭kdobey

What do you guys make of Skott Kelby's Digital Photography series?

Seem to be getting great reviews on Amazon as a good guide for beginners?

I have Scott Kelbys "Digital Photography" Volume 1 and 2 which I bought shortly after buying my dslr. Vol 1 is particularly good I thought for a beginner like me. They are easy read and I quite liked the format, you can pick it up open a page and read 1 page and learn something.

I've not read "Understanding Exposure" but it's on my to-do list.

I think the kelby books worked for me because I have limited time to invest in photography and I was an utter newbie. However I think I would benefit from re-reading now that I've grasped the basics - there is a wealth of tips and techniques in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

So yeah... Anyone know of any solid in-depth books for beginners?

"in-depth" and "for beginners" will tend to be mutually exclusive. Have a look at the O'Reilly photography books: http://oreilly.com/pub/topic/digiphoto

I've just started reading "The Canon EOS Digital Rebel T1i/500D Companion". So far, it looks like a good read. They publish similar books for other camera models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

The photographers eye by Michael Freeman is a fantastic
    book on composition.

Along with Understanding Exposure it's one of my favourite books

I went ahead and picked up the Skott Kelby's Digital Photography 'box set' series;

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780321678737/Scott-Kelbys-Digital-Photography-Boxed-Set-v.-1-2-and-3

When it arrives i'll read through them, and then before going through them a second time, I'll order another book (which i'll decide by re-reading this thread again).

Cheers guys (and if anyone else has any other suggestions, by all means let me know. I've bookmarked this and will refer back a fair bit).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I picked up a book the other day, at a market, (although its not a 'learning' book), it is an interesting book in terms of history and some wonderful timeless photos, the book is called 'IRELAND' by Mac Liammoir (photos by Edwin Smith). http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=2465777702&searchurl=an%3DSMITH%252C%2BEdwin%2Band%2BMicheal%2BMac%2BLiammoir.%26pics%3Don

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

"The Photographers Eye" - By Michael Freeman and "Within The Frame" - by David duChemin are probably the two best books I've read. They're more about composition though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Speaking of O'Reilly books, I have a copy of the following at home:

http://books.google.com/books?id=DncCAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=%22photography+in+a+nutshell%22#v=onepage&q&f=false

I wouldn't say it's really up to date with the latest digital models though. Or colour photography. Or roll film for that matter ...

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭VinDevo

I thought Stephen Johnsons book was excellent. He covers the development of digital imaging, the technology behind it, Photoshop and printing. Written from personal experience and in an easy to read style. It's also a well produced book, well laid out and with good illustrations.

http://www.amazon.com/Stephen-Johnson-Digital-Photography/dp/059652370X/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/books.htm

There is a list of books there all of which might be worth looking at, the few that i have looked at all seemed good. Since getting into photography i joined the library, i have been to two in my area and both had a fair few photography books.

Got my Scott Kelby books today. The three book "Scott Kelby's Digital Photography" box set.

I read through the first one. Not bad, but not great. Understanding Exposure did a better job. In fact, I reckon you'd need to read Understanding Exposure (or similar) prior to the Scott Kelby books in order to get the most out of them.

Much like another book I have, "Digital SLR Photography in Easy Steps", the book hops, skips and jumps through a barrage of different topics, giving a few hints and tips, but nothing substantial. It pretty much covers Understanding Exposure with different wording.

One thing I did like about the book, on the last few pages, each page has a photograph and a summary of the style of photo it is (ie; what it features) and covers what settings he used to accomplish the photo, where he stood, whether a tripod was used or not, and pretty much just quickly covers the creation of the photograph, which I thought was quite good.

I'll start "Volume 2" of the three books tonight and will hopefully be finished the three of them by Monday.

I think I need to invest in a book that covers just one topic, but really in-depth. At the moment I'm too new to photography to photograph people in my own opinion, but I was wondering if anyone would be able to suggest any books that are really solid and focus on landscapes, buildings interiors and exteriors, streets, etc. (prety much city/town/country photography)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I must seriously take a pen and a piece of paper with me next time I'm going to Eason's ... or at least save a text to my phone ... d'oh.

I saw a couple of really good looking books in there today. Ok, one was €32 ... forget that! But there was one reduced from €25 to €9.99 and I was really tempted. Bet it'll be gone next time I'm in.

Instead I just bought the latest ed of Practical photography, been learning heaps from those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

I'd recommend "Creative Black and White Photography by Les McLean"

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Instead I just bought the latest ed of Practical photography, been learning heaps from those.

for 10 years i think they go 6 issues, then rewrite the same articles in a vicious circle, used to get it til it dawned on me

Advertisement