Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BTEA

• 17-04-2010 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

I already hold a national cert (level 6) I got this 12 years ago.
    I now wish to go back to study for a degree but in a totally different discipline.

Will already holding a third level qualification (even if its only a cert) mean that I wont receive the back to education allowance?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭eyesofvenus

I already hold a national cert (level 6) I got this 12 years ago.
    I now wish to go back to study for a degree but in a totally different discipline.

Will already holding a third level qualification (even if its only a cert) mean that I wont receive the back to education allowance?

As far as the rules yes. You may only receive it if entering year one of your chosen field of study, however, go talk to your job facillatator in your local SW office and see what he/she says, they may give it to you depending on how long you've been umemployed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭captainstacy

That's not good. I was really hoping going back to study in a new field would be an option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

The qualification you have poses no barrier to getting BTEA for a degree course as long as you meet other criteria.

From http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/back-to-education/back_to_education_allowance

Third-level option

You can attend a third-level course of education at any university, third-level college or institution, provided that the course is a full-time day course of study and is approved by one of the following:

* Department of Education and Science for Higher Education Grant purposes
    * VEC Scholarship Scheme
    * Third Level Maintenance Grant Scheme for Trainees
    * Higher Education and Training Awards Council (HETAC) recognition.

If you already have an undergraduate third-level qualification, (i.e., you already have a degree) your application for a Back to Education Allowance may still be considered. You should get in touch directly with the Back to Education Allowance Section at the Department of Social and Family Affairs.

You may get the Back to Education Allowance for a postgraduate course of study that leads to a Higher Diploma (H.Dip.) qualification in any discipline or a Graduate Diploma in Education (primary and secondary teaching). Other types of postgraduate qualifications are not recognised for BTEA.

You will not get BTEA if you already have a postgraduate qualification.

Back to Education Allowance is not payable during the summer months. You may however be eligible for Jobseeker's Allowance or Jobseeker's Benefit.

Thanks for that Balagan.
    Will the fact that I am not continuing on from my existing qualification look bad on my application?
    It's so hard to know how they will read into these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭macaronicheese

As far as the rules yes. You may only receive it if entering year one of your chosen field of study, however, go talk to your job facillatator in your local SW office and see what he/she says, they may give it to you depending on how long you've been umemployed

Thats Bull sh*T
    don't be telling people lies
    He was never in a degree. Level 6 is not a degree
    And since he is moving up the level of qualifications of course he will get it if he is going for a degree(if hes going for another level 6.no)
    so get your facts right u cunning fox

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

AFAIK as long as your are going for a qualification that is higher than the one you currently hold you should qualify. Again this needs to be confirmed.

I will have to wait to see if I even get a place in a college before I can even start the application for BTEA.
    I was just worried that because I have already been to third level and got a qualification (Only a level 6) that I would be ruled out unless I was going on to a level 7 or 8 within the same discipline.
    That fact that I am starting over again in another subject area was my main worry, but I guess I will find out in a few months.

I will have to wait to see if I even get a place in a college before I can even start the application for BTEA.
    I was just worried that because I have already been to third level and got a qualification (Only a level 6) that I would be ruled out unless I was going on to a level 7 or 8 within the same discipline.
    That fact that I am starting over again in another subject area was my main worry, but I guess I will find out in a few months.

Your not the only one. :)

Are you in a similar situation Trekmad?

Thanks for that Balagan.
    Will the fact that I am not continuing on from my existing qualification look bad on my application?
    It's so hard to know how they will read into these things.

According to the present rules, it shouldn't pose a problem at all. Good luck with everything!

Bear in mind that since Dec 09 budget, if you are entering the first year of a college course this Sep., coming, you will eligible to get BTEA or a grant i.e., not both.

• Advertisement

yeah but to be able to receive a payment at all while trying to get a second chance at education shouldn't be sneezed at

Are you in a similar situation Trekmad?

Yes, have a national Diploma (as it was called) but want a degree in a different discipline. Would like to qualify for BTEA as the fees are going to be a killer for me this time round.

Have you spoken to the welfare office about it yet?
    I just had a quick chat with them and they said because I already had a cert in one area they would probably only give me btea if I continue on that path.
    He said that was the general rule but each case is different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Thats Bull sh*T
    don't be telling people lies
    He was never in a degree. Level 6 is not a degree
    And since he is moving up the level of qualifications of course he will get it if he is going for a degree(if hes going for another level 6.no)
    so get your facts right u cunning fox

There are ways of telling someone they are incorrect without using obsceneties and being rude. such conduct will not be tolerated here.

There are ways of telling someone they are incorrect without using obsceneties and being rude. such conduct will not be tolerated here.
    My apologies

Have you spoken to the welfare office about it yet?
    I just had a quick chat with them and they said because I already had a cert in one area they would probably only give me btea if I continue on that path.
    He said that was the general rule but each case is different.

Could you tell me what type of cert you have please?
    Did you attend an I.T full time to get it?
    What are you aiming for now level 8?

I did a national certificate (level 6) in mechanical engineering back in 98.
    Full time in an IT
    Now I'm looking to do a level 8 in a science.

I did a national certificate (level 6) in mechanical engineering back in 98.
    Full time in an IT
    Now I'm looking to do a level 8 in a science.

Thats a HETAC cert,so I'm not sure

If it was a FETAC cert such as national craft cert for electrician etc then you would get it, because FETAC is not a higher education award

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I did a NCEA Diploma (Level 7) in Mechanical Engineering in an IT. Would this mean I wouldn't get a BTEA if I chose a Level 7 in computing in an IT again?

That's my understanding at the minute

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I hold a level 8 in a business degree but I am interested in entering a course in IT, is it possible to get the BTEA for this?

I started college last year, a one year BA in another business course, but after all the fuss and a few weeks into the course they told me I couldn't do it. Mix up on their part.

Long term unemployed, looking to get training in a different area. Thanks.

I hold a level 8 in a business degree but I am interested in entering a course in IT, is it possible to get the BTEA for this?

I started college last year, a one year BA in another business course, but after all the fuss and a few weeks into the course they told me I couldn't do it. Mix up on their part.

Long term unemployed, looking to get training in a different area. Thanks.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/back-to-education/back_to_education_allowance

Third-level option

You can attend a third-level course of education at any university, third-level college or institution, provided that the course is a full-time day course of study and is approved by one of the following:
    • Department of Education and Science for Higher Education Grant purposes
    • VEC Scholarship Scheme
    • Third Level Maintenance Grant Scheme for Trainees
    • Higher Education and Training Awards Council (HETAC) recognition.
    If you already have an undergraduate third-level qualification, (i.e., you already have a degree) your application for a Back to Education Allowance may still be considered. You should get in touch directly with the Back to Education Allowance Section at the Department of Social and Family Affairs.
    You may get the Back to Education Allowance for a postgraduate course of study that leads to a Higher Diploma (H.Dip.) qualification in any discipline or a Graduate Diploma in Education (primary and secondary teaching). Other types of postgraduate qualifications are not recognised for BTEA.
    You will not get BTEA if you already have a postgraduate qualification.

My interpretation from this is that you will get BTEA once you don't have a postgraduate (Ph.D) Undergraduate is people with certs and diplomas. Best thing is to call

Department of Social and Family Affairs
    Social Welfare Services Office
    Government Buildings
    Shannon Lodge
    Carrick-on-Shannon
    County Leitrim

Tel: (01) 704 3000

But the fact that a diploma is a bachelor's degree now I'm not sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭rubdub

I have just completed a level 5 fetac course (which I was receving BTEA on), I am now hoping to go on and do a degree in DIT in the same subject. I am wondering do I have to re-apply for BTEA for this new course, or will it continue on after the summer when(if) I start the course. I received a letter from social welfare today asking me if I was finishing here with BTEA or continuing on and not 100% what to write, as it's technically a new course.
    I have asked in social welfare office but got conflicting awnsers as one said I would have to re-apply and another lady said I wouldn't, just to get a letter from the new course to say that I have started the course.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You have to re-apply as it is a new course.

Ok for people that are interested, I was talking to an officer in the social welfare. You will get the BTEA (if you are unemployed 12 months) in a different course once it's a higher qualification than you already have. So if lets say you have a level 7 in engineering, you will qualify for a course in computers once it's a level 8 or higher. So now I get the fact why you won't get it if you already have a post grad because you can't go any higher. Hope that helps.

Also, he said you will get JA during the summer months once you're available for work.

Cheers for that AntiRip.

That clears that up.

Am I correct in saying that you can work part time without losing your BTEA?

If so how many hours can you work or how much can you earn before it's called full time work?

Am I correct in saying that you can work part time without losing your BTEA?

If so how many hours can you work or how much can you earn before it's called full time work?

Income from part-time work does not affect the basic BTEA payment.
    BTEA is not an unemployment payment and participants are not required to ‘sign on’.

I don't think how many hours matter as you will be in college everyday and you would be working evenings or weekends anyway.

I'm wondering myself now as I forgot to ask the welfare officer, do you have to pay the e1500 registration fee if you are on BTEA?

• Advertisement

you have to pay the fees, unless you get the fees paid by your county council/vec

you have to pay the fees, unless you get the fees paid by your county council/vec

That's a very contradictory sentence. ;)
    Are they any conditions to get the fees paid by the VEC?

Means tested I think

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Martina05

I'm a bit confused. I've deferred my place in UCC till next year as I dont qualify for the BTEA or a grant. I will qualify for BTEA next year. Do I still have to pay the 11,000+ fees? I thought the state paid them???????

As it stands at the moment, if you are intending to get BTEA, you should use the usual maintenance grant application forms of the relevant VEC/Local Authority to apply to get them to pay the fees part of your course only.

Advertisement