Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building a bike

• 18-04-2010 11:35am
    Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

How difficult is it to build a roadbike? Is it something as simple as putting a couple of nuts and bolts together or do you really need to know what you're doing?

I'm not looking anything special, just a basic one to be honest, and the possibility of building it myself came into my head.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Dont bother unless its something special, as individual parts are always more expensive than a complete bike. If you sourced exactly the same components/frame as (insert bike model) it would cost you more than said bike model and you have to assemble it...

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Dont bother unless its something special, as individual parts are always more expensive than a complete bike. If you sourced exactly the same components/frame as (insert bike model) it would cost you more than said bike model and you have to assemble it...
    Ah right I see. I'm just looking something cheap and cheerful to get me started, do you recommend anywhere to shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

awec wrote: »
    Ah right I see. I'm just looking something cheap and cheerful to get me started, do you recommend anywhere to shop?
    I cannot, unless intended use and budget are specified:)

I cannot, unless intended use and budget are specified:)
    Budget is ~250euro, intended use is commute to work and weekend cycles. Nothing serious like official races or anything, more leisurely use. Looking a road bike as I previously said, not a hybrid or a mountain bike. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

How difficult is it to build a roadbike? Is it something as simple as putting a couple of nuts and bolts together or do you really need to know what you're doing?

I'm not looking anything special, just a basic one to be honest, and the possibility of building it myself came into my head.

When you break it down, putting the Saturn V together was just a couple of nuts and bolts.
    Its doing it in the right way is where the skill is.
    FWIW if you approach it the right way anybody can do it, it isnt difficult. If your incline to bodge and throw it together then it will fall apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

For that budget your looking at second hand tbh. Reliability costs, you CAN buy a new road bike for that money but if its getting regular use it would break your heart.

There are many threads about such a question so look around the forum. Try adverts or the forsale section in this forum for a second hand bike. You will need to know your frame size, find this through charts such as this. More info here, though some makes use different methods, ie Giant bikes go by S,M,L,XL etc so just check that its the one for you.

Components on bikes like everything else in life are of different quality and price so do your research and find out what you want.

Keep posting and before you know it you'll be on yer bike.

For that budget your looking at second hand tbh. Reliability costs, you CAN buy a new road bike for that money but if its getting regular use it would break your heart.

There are many threads about such a question so look around the forum. Try adverts or the forsale section in this forum for a second hand bike. You will need to know your frame size, find this through charts such as this. More info here, though some makes use different methods, ie Giant bikes go by S,M,L,XL etc so just check that its the one for you.

Components on bikes like everything else in life are of different quality and price so do your research and find out what you want.

Keep posting and before you know it you'll be on yer bike.
    Cheers for the info, will definitely look into those!

For the past few years my fitness has gone to hell, it's got to the stage now where running even a couple hundred yards leaves me breathless and pooped. I blame the drink and sitting around all the time, so thought I'd take up cycling (as running is too boring). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Build a fixie or singlespeed - cheap and reliable :)

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html

http://www.dublinfgss.com (chaps on this forum have been extremely helpful to myself)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

....I blame the drink and sitting around all the time, so thought I'd take up cycling (as running is too boring). :D

Thats probably one of the most condensed pieces of wisdom ever posted in this forum. Those three simple points sum it all up, you'll do well grass hopper. Now get a bike, pick an event, enter it (register and pay the fee) and make it happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

you're looking for this place :)www.rothar.ie - phibsboro road, I built my bike there it came out lovely and cost me €160ish.

• Advertisement

SubLuminal wrote: »
    you're looking for this place :)www.rothar.ie - phibsboro road, I built my bike there it came out lovely and cost me €160ish.

Was it a road bike? What sort of spec are you talking? Really old stuff?

Advertisement