Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mailing pills via An Post

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

[Or you could drop the matter and practise abstinence.]

How's the weather up there on the moral high ground? :mad::mad:

OP - it's illegal to import medicines into the country without a licence to do so. However, unless you're receiving a bulk amount of medication, the worst you can expect is to have the birth control pills confiscated and a letter from the Irish Medicines Board will be sent to you telling you not to do it again.

But as everyone else has said, see if an Irish pharmacist can fill your prescription (although I doubt they can as it's from outside the EU), or go to an Irish doctor for a new prescription.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

dudara wrote: »
    keithclancy The import of any prescription drug into Ireland is illegal.

Please post with more thought and consideration

dudara

Understood dudara, just pointing out that customs don't really enforce it, Its just as illegal to import bulbs or plants into Ireland without a license.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/travel-to-ireland/customs_regulations_for_travellers

Prohibited or restricted goods
    Certain goods cannot be imported to Ireland or can only be imported under licence.

The main items that cannot be imported or must be imported under licence are:

* Firearms
    * Ammunition
    * Explosives and fireworks
    * Offensive weapons
    * Indecent or obscene material (books, periodicals, prints and video recordings)
    * Plants or bulbs
    * Live animals or dead animals (including cats and dogs)
    * Birds, poultry or eggs
    * Endangered species
    * Meat and meat products, milk and milk products, and certain foodstuffs (with specific exceptions)
    * Hay or straw (even if used as packing).

Yet, thousands of Irish people travel to the Keukenhof every year and order them to be posted to their Irish Address and never have a problem. Thats all that i'm pointing out.

Also, as an example its possible to travel to Spain and pickup Inhalers for a fraction of the price in Ireland, yet people still do this even though its technically illegal.

I'm merely stating what the situation is with regard to enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Understood dudara, just pointing out that customs don't really enforce it, Its just as illegal to import bulbs or plants into Ireland without a license.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/travel-to-ireland/customs_regulations_for_travellers

Prohibited or restricted goods

Yet, thousands of Irish people travel to the Keukenhof every year and order them to be posted to their Irish Address and never have a problem. Thats all that i'm pointing out.

Also, as an example its possible to travel to Spain and pickup Inhalers for a fraction of the price in Ireland, yet people still do this even though its technically illegal.

It is not illegal to travel to another country and purchase medicines and bring the personally home as long as you have a valid prescription. It is illegal to get them mailed to you, and you will find customs are very strict on this at the moment. The medicines are normally confiscated and forwarded to the Irish Medicines board, who then get in touch with the person, and informs them that is is not legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

And I am merely stating what is legal and illegal. We do not condone illegal activites here.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    It is not illegal to travel to another country and purchase medicines and bring the personally home as long as you have a valid prescription. It is illegal to get them mailed to you, and you will find customs are very strict on this at the moment. The medicines are normally confiscated and forwarded to the Irish Medicines board, who then get in touch with the person, and informs them that is is not legal.

But there is no Prescription needed for Inhalers yet they are a Prescription medication in Ireland. This as far as I am aware is illegal but almost impossible to enforce.

• Advertisement

But there is no Prescription needed for Inhalers yet they are a Prescription medication in Ireland. This as far as I am aware is illegal but almost impossible to enforce.

If they are prescription medications in Ireland you need a prescription to bring them in on person with you. The laws of Ireland apply in this country not the laws where you bought the medication.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

If they are prescription medications in Ireland you need a prescription to bring them in on person with you. The laws of Ireland apply in this country not the laws where you bought the medication.

Thats incorrect. You dont need a prescription to be in possession of them. You need a prescription to get lawful supply of them. The only expeptions being for CD 1, 2 and 3 controlled drugs.

If they have been supplied without prescription lawfully in another jurisdiction to you for your personal use, that is all above aboard.

Otherwise we would have to start confiscating many medications off Spanish tourists here, for example, where alot of medication is available without prescription.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

I'd agree with Keith Clancy

I'd say get your mother to stick a pack in the post. Don't stick the perscription on the outside of the package to draw attention to it. But do include it in the package so that if they are stopped by customs and they open the package, at least they'll see it's harmless.

The very worst that will happen is that you get a call from customs or the Irish Medicines board explaining to you that you can't do it, and you don't get your pills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

it all depends on where the pills are coming from. outside the EU and there is a 30% chance of them getting stopped as customs look at a lot of these packages and try to get vat from the person getting the package. if the pills are coming from the EU there is a 99% chance of them not getting stopped as they dont bother with these packages as

1. they are under staffed
    2. there is no revenue to be made from the govt here as there is not vat payable on packages from within the EU

mickman wrote: »
    it all depends on where the pills are coming from. outside the EU and there is a 30% chance of them getting stopped as customs look at a lot of these packages and try to get vat from the person getting the package. if the pills are coming from the EU there is a 99% chance of them not getting stopped as they dont bother with these packages as

1. they are under staffed
    2. there is no revenue to be made from the govt here as there is not vat payable on packages from within the EU

They don't try and get vat on them they confiscate the mediciation, you are thinking about electrical good etc, the law is different for prescription medication.

• Advertisement

They don't try and get vat on them they confiscate the mediciation, you are thinking about electrical good etc, the law is different for prescription medication.

i know they dont try and get vat off medicines. what i said was they open a good few packages from outside the EU as they can charge vat on these if its perfumes, etc. they dont know whats in the package until they open them. if its medicines then they confiscate them

if the package is from within the eu, they open almost none at all as even if it was perfumes etc they cant charge vat on them so there is no point in opening them at all

i know they dont try and get vat off medicines. what i said was they open a good few packages from outside the EU as they can charge vat on these if its perfumes, etc. they dont know whats in the package until they open them. if its medicines then they confiscate them

if the package is from within the eu, they open almost none at all as even if it was perfumes etc they cant charge vat on them so there is no point in opening them at all

Not the case, you think they only open packages to see if they can charge vat? They don't check for drugs etc?? Most packages are automatically scanned and x-rayed these days.

well thousands and thousands of irish people get medicines from the UK without a problem

this number will grow in the future as the cost of medicine in this country is crazy

well thousands and thousands of irish people get medicines from the UK without a problem

this number will grow in the future as the cost of medicine in this country is crazy

Well I am sure you have evidence that thousands and thousands are, however if you read the OP, the are talking about getting them from Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Well I am sure you have evidence that thousands and thousands are, however if you read the OP, the are talking about getting them from Canada.

And by the end of April.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

If you have a medical card, Long Term Illness card, it's free.

If you are just getting antibiotics, pill etc, its not expensive.

Depends on what your doctor prescribes for you.

Advertisement