Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manchester United Game

Options
  • 18-04-2010 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭

So Next Saturday we're away to United and the question thats really pressing me is what line-up do we go with? With Palacios out we all thought it wrecked our chances against Arsenal and Chelsea but Thudd and Modders where immense flying in with tackles running from deep and it allows Bale to go on the Wing and he links up brilliantly with BAE on the left so what do we do maybe start with only one up front?
    And it looks like Lennon will be on the bench provided he doesn't injure himself this week.
    Gomes
    Corluka/Kaboul--Daws--King--BAE
    Bently--Palacios--Thudd--Bale
    Modric

Pav/Defoe

what do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Looks as good a team as we can get.

My head is saying we are gonna get our asses handed to us but I'm going with heart here and I'm gonna say another 2-1 win.

Why not? I thought on Sunday we'd be lucky to have a point going to city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

We should be going there buzzing with confidence looking to get a result.

Id go with Wilson and Hudd in the middle with Modric on the right, but tucking in to make it a 3 at times. Bale can be our wide outlet. I'd defo play the 2 up top, when you play one, you are inviting them on straight away. Would be nice to have Lennon on the bench if needed.

It's another big game to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

This is a really tough one. We've had arguably our two best performances this season without Palacios in the middle, though in theory he should make us better? To be honest, I'd almost be tempted to start with the same team as last two matches, though if Lennon is available (hearing conflicting reports?) pop him in instead of Bentley and hopefully Corluka can slot in too. I'd also have King in defence.

Like yesterday, I'd bite anyone's hand off for a point. We're playing really well, the team are focused and really up for it, and things seem to be going our way so if we could nick something it would be absolutely fantastic. Rooney will hopefully be out, and Utd seem pretty crap without him. As long as we keep doing what we've been doing and have a go, we have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

I just hope Howard Webb isn't in charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

guys - all this talk of formation changes is nonsense. we play 4-4-2 and thats it. we will go for it at old trafford as playing for a draw there is a waste of time. i say leave team as is except bring in king. have others on the bench if we need them. you cant drop any player that has helped beat arsenal and chelsea in 4 d ays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

Agree with mickman. Play with the same mentality as last 2 games and give it our best shot. I think we will nab 4th spot in the end. COYS!

gary nevile must be a worried man watching bale yesterday. they will prob pay rafael though to try and match bale for pace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I'm bricking it over this match... I'm going to it, but could only get a ticket in the home section...The way we've played, I want to be able to celebrate if we win

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Id go with Wilson and Hudd in the middle with Modric on the right, but tucking in to make it a 3 at times. Bale cant be our wide outlet.

Not a bad shout tbh, but Bentley probably gets the nod on the right if Kaboul is playing RB as Modric will drift into centre to often.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Not a bad shout tbh, but Bentley probably gets the nod on the right if Kaboul is playing RB as Modric will drift into centre to often.

Ya I'd really like to see charli back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Morgans

Would accept a point right now, but absolutely no reason to fear United. I think we'd be taking a step forward if we went for it, regardless of the final result.

The last thing we need was the sort of slightly meek performance we gave at Liverpool earlier in a must win.

United will have to make plans to cope with Bale. Hopefully Jonny Evans (if Rio not back) can be got at by a fitter Defoe, and not sure if they can cope with Modric at his best. Ledley dispatched to mind Rooney.

Tricky decision for Harry. The balance will be upset by putting Luka wide, but away from home, need Wilson, and Bentley is just the least reliable member of the squad. Its the percentage call to push Luka wide. Would prefer the more intelligent Corluka to Kaboul to mind that side, should he drift.

Was meant to read bale CAN be our wide outlet, im sure you knew that;)

Id go with Modric tbh, bentley has offered little recently, and the big pitch wont suit em, whereas luka can get around better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Id take a point, but confidence has to be soaring after the last two games. Hopefully rooney tweaks his ankle in training this week! Imagine 9 points from 9 against the top three! Hope Arsenal can get their act together and beat city next saturday as well. We always knew these three games would define our season and what a good job the team is doing so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Anto12

I'd take a point any day at old trafford .. went there in Carling cup with strong team and got stuffed but the way we have been playing lately its just been heaven - my poor daughter got some shock when she was watching her Da roaring at the ref to blow it up against Arsenal & Chelsea .. We've never got any kind of decision at old trafford - penalty decision last year what a joke and remember Pedro Mendes goal !!! which wasnt given !! Yido Yido !!!!!:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

André Marriner will be the referee for Spurs' Premier League away match against Manchester United.

The Birmingham official has refereed 33 games so far this season in which he has shown 113 yellow cards and 10 reds.

Patrick Keane and Adam Watts will be André Marriner's assistants for the game at Old Trafford on Saturday lunchtime

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

Anto12 wrote: »
    I'd take a point any day at old trafford .. went there in Carling cup with strong team and got stuffed but the way we have been playing lately its just been heaven - my poor daughter got some shock when she was watching her Da roaring at the ref to blow it up against Arsenal & Chelsea .. We've never got any kind of decision at old trafford - penalty decision last year what a joke and remember Pedro Mendes goal !!! which wasnt given !! Yido Yido !!!!!:):):)

I want all three

I also want to take all 3!!

It will almost be as good as winning a cup IMHO.

expectations are becoming too big again, time for us to come back down to earth i imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

ah theres a difference between wanting something and expecting it

i expect to get nothing from the game but of course want all 3 points, being realistic i dont see us getting any more than a point at best but will be happy to be surprised :)

Oh on reality I'm nearly sure we will loose and loose well just gotta hope Arsenal do us a favour against city to make it a winner take all vs man city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

A point is a very realistic target if we play anywhere as good as we played in the last two games. 3 is far from impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 paddyspurs

i think if you look over the last few seasons, we did well against chelsea, ok against arse, and very poorly against man u. but given that they are not in great form, and we are, there is no reason to go for 1 point. 3 points is def a big possibility. and the king will be playing so no worries!

It's weird cos I had us getting 1 point from the last 2 games and instead we end up with 6. This game is different though as it's away from home and despite the fact that Utd are poor at the moment, they seem to love playing against us. I thought we'd really put it up to them when they came to the Lane but they blew us away, so part of me is expecting something like that, but part of me is also hoping that we can continue playing as we have recently and get a point out of it, while at the same time hoping Arsenal pull their thumbs out and start playing again.

I'll be more than happy with a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I'd be delighted with a point wouldn't be surprised to see more of the same from is absorb and counter so united will probably have significantly more possesion anyone know is Lennon back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 paddyspurs

i think he will be on the bench. dont get me wrong, a point would be great, but the way we have been playing, we def could be in for 3 points:D

lennon is back for tomorrow, harry has said he will be on the bench at least. palacious back, king back, charlie has a late fitness test . we are almost at full strength

king will slot in beside dawson and will look to mark rooney

corluka will replace kaboul if he is fit

but at midfield harry has very hard decisiions. does he play lennon from start? does he play bale left wing? does he play wilson?

very hard decisions thank god :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

It might sound crazy but I actually hope Rooney is playing. He's not 100% and I just have this awful feeling Berbatov will do damage against us if he plays.

I've never been as anxious before a Spurs game as I am about tomorrow in years tbh. If we get a 0-0 I'd be over the moon.

madness

rooney at 70% is still their best player by a mile

• Advertisement

Dunno about that - he was rubbish against City last weekend and wasn't fit. Either way, if he plays hopefully King can deal adequately with him.

I'm going to be golfing from around 12 so will miss the whole thing but to be honest I'd be such a bag of nerves that I don't know if I could sit through the whole thing! I'll be recording it anyway.

I still think we have to stick with the original team, only replacing players where we definitely feel we can do better, like at right-back and centre-half, and if Lennon were fit, on the wing. Other than that, Wilson on the bench with Bale on the left and Modric in the middle. If that doesn't work, change it early.

I'd be great to be in a reasonable position with 20 minutes to go to bring on Lennon and open things up a bit.

Advertisement