Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manchester United Game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Very disappointed to give away such soft penalties. To be fair, I think the ref got both right even though I doubt we would have got the same decisions but can't really complain about the result.

Let's just hope City lose later and hopefully by a few goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Ah crap we didn't play badly but just the lack of a proper right back conceeding two penalty's

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

mickman wrote: »
    i really dont want to say it but wilson has to be dropped next week. he had a shocker and gave away ANOTHER penalty. he was truly awful today and the minute he left the midfield we were playing very well

'Arry got it wrong today, King for Bassong made sense but putting Bale at LB and BAE at RB was mental. We were at our best vs Chelsea and the Goons with width provided by Bale, and BAE on the overlap. Modric drifts too central when he's played left midfield, and Bale is still not solid enough at LB.

Modric plus one of Hudd/Palacios in the middle next week please.

'Arry got it wrong today, King for Bassong made sense but putting Bale at LB and BAE at RB was mental. We were at our best vs Chelsea and the Goons with width provided by Bale, and BAE on the overlap. Modric drifts too central when he's played left midfield, and Bale is still not solid enough at LB.

Modric plus one of Hudd/Palacios in the middle next week please.
    Modric play's best with Hudd in the center

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Was unfortunate to give two silly pens given away, mainly down to the fact neither of them are right backs. If only Corluka was there I can't have seen that happening. Great to see Lennon back. Looking forward to seeing him and Bale on the wings in the next couple of games hopefully. They should really be able to destroy any full backs. Also think modric is better in the center these days.

• Advertisement

Modric play's best with Hudd in the center

Then Wilson is on the bench next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'd like to give pal the benefit of the doubt because he's been a solider this season.

Was he really that bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Then Wilson is on the bench next week.

yeah i think he has to be. away to city then we could play modric and wilson maybe but on todays performance i wouldnt play wilson at all. it was prob just a once off hopefully

if giggs penalties werent just perfect then gomes would have saved at least one.

just saw harrys interview. he said "im not sure if we are still fourth?" not sure if he was joking or not with that comment as im sure managers would know exactly where their team are in the table

ziedth wrote: »
    I'd like to give pal the benefit of the doubt because he's been a solider this season.

Was he really that bad?

I'm not suggesting he be benched because of today's performance, but our best team is one with width, and that only happens with Bale and Lennon/Bentley playing.

Was he really that bad?

i think wilson has been the reason for the turnaround at spurs and i have said that b4 but today he was shocking. kept giving it away, gave away the peno etc

it was as if after he had been out he came back into CM and the game was too fast for him. modric and hudd wanted to move the ball forward at speed and wilson just wasnt able to participate. i wouldnt have thought it but it looks like modric and hudd have formed a really good partnership in just two games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

HR's team selection was pants today.... In fairness to the lads, offensively we looked good and I though Modric had a great game but playing players out of position at Old Trafford of all places especially when you don't need to. That's a cardinal sin.....

Once united applied some pressure the players who were played out of position (based on the last two games) were all over the place. The last 10/15 minutes BAE and Bale didn't know who was picking up who.....

Should have started with a right footed defender at RightFull? Madness!

http://yfrog.com/49wilsonj

According to these stats Palacios had 33 passes, 30 successful and only 3 unsuccessful. Not too bad imo.

PS Dunno if I embedded that correctly, never done it before, so bare with me!

Its a great site for stats though, only came across it the other day.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/chalkboards

Or you can see it here, http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/chalkboards/10Q9300h757yxdw0utY5 Sorry for making a complete mess of that!

You can also look at other players etc.

Interesting to note that Defoe didn't have one shot, not even an off-target effort.

Pav had 2, one on target, one off.

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    http://yfrog.com/49wilsonj

According to these stats Palacios had 33 passes, 30 successful and only 3 unsuccessful. Not too bad imo.

PS Dunno if I embedded that correctly, never done it before, so bare with me!

Its a great site for stats though, only came across it the other day.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/chalkboards

the 30 he made (if u can believe that ) were 2 yard passes . the 3 he missed (he missed far more than that) were attempts at longer passes and united intercepted them and counter attacked

anyway im off to the pub with my arsenal jersey on :-)

I'd like to think those stats are fairly accurate anyway, I am open to correction though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

said it before and il say it again that ekotto is a liability , he doesnt give a $hite and he can't take criticism (just ask charlie about that)..HR got team selection badly wrong today , Bale flyin and what does he do stick him left back :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

6 points from the last 3 games is a fine achievement, 4th is in our hands and thats all you can ask for really.

Thought Harry got it badly wrong with the line-up today but after 75 minutes it was 1-1 and we looked more likely to score a winner.

I thought the front 2 were very poor and Crouch and Gudjohnsen were worse when they came on. In hindsight maybe we should have played a 4-5-1 with Palacios joining Hudd and Luka in the centre, it would have caused less disruption than the line up Harry chose anyway.

Thought Gomes was very good again, and Ledley was class too.

Go Gunners:)

BERBA wrote: »
    said it before and il say it again that ekotto is a liability , he doesnt give a $hite and he can't take criticism (just ask charlie about that)..HR got team selection badly wrong today , Bale flyin and what does he do stick him left back :eek:

I don't know. I think BAE has been very good this season. Really proved himself. That penalty he gave away was silly, but in his defense he was out of position at right back.

I agree about team selection though. HR should have left BAE and Bale on the left, and Luka and Tom in the middle. Only tough choice that leaves is RB. With Kaboul being the most obvious choice, but Kyle Walker did play very well in the game I saw him play. (Only played 180 mins on EPL football this season though.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Strange decision by Harry to change the winning formula and the team must feel like this was an opportunity lost as we played some good football going forward.

Agree with you Guappa about the strikers except for Gudjohnsen who I thought had a really good impact when he came on. Links up the play nicely and I wonder when hes actually gonna start, would have liked to see him and Pav line out today as theres much more strength and movement from them. Defoe was rubbish apart from his one interception at left back..

Quote from Harry "Younes Kaboul has done great for us, but he's not a right-back, he is a central defender and I felt with Nani out there it might be too much for him today."

Seemed to cope with Malouda and Nasri okay?!

It was just defensive errors that cost us today we can't argue much about that another right back is needed untill walker or naughton can make the step up

• Advertisement

It was just defensive errors that cost us today we can't argue much about that another right back is needed untill walker or naughton can make the step up

Yea exactly. Hutton was a good second choice until we sold him!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    6 points from the last 3 games is a fine achievement, 4th is in our hands and thats all you can ask for really.

9 from 4 (Sunderland) would have been better, but with 3 to play its absolutely within our control. 6 points from Bolton, Burnley makes City on Tuesday week the biggest game for us for a number of years.

Given just injured himself making a save. Good news for spurs fans. They don't even have a decent second choice afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

Like others couldnt believe the selection. BAE is not a right back, he tried him there before and he was sh8t, same again. Bale should have been left on the wing. Wilson on bench for me next week. I think Hudds workrate since Wilsons supension has gone way up. He started doing the dirty work Wilson had been doing and has been fairly successful at it bearing in mind his passing compared to Wilson. Deoe off the pace. As a team performance thought we done quite well and at 1-1 was actually thinking we would push on. Two ridiculous pens and Bale falling asleep cost us. 6 from those 3 games was a good outcome though, just dissapointed at the manner we gave them goals.

onwards and upwards.

coys

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Arsenal still 0-0.

Wouldn't be the worst result

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

Arsenal still 0-0.

Wouldn't be the worst result

and looks like given have seriously injured his shoulder!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Dissapointed with the result as all of us are. But if we are being honest, we would have jumped at 6 points from these 3 after the pompey disaster.

Was very suprised with the right full selection but thats football, Harry felt Nani coming inside on his right foot all the time would suit BAE, it backfired, thats football.

Im not getting too down over it. We are still very much in the hunt.7 points and we are there. COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Disappointed with the result, and completely baffled by the team selection. As mentioned by everybody here, why change a winning formula, especially in defence? Harry has to shoulder some of the blame there.

Still, the City result means a huge amount is riding on next weeked. Our game against Bolton, a must win, and City v Villa. Hopefully Villa can either win or draw there, meaning we'd be in very good shape.

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Yea exactly. Hutton was a good second choice until we sold him!

he is on loan, not sold. plus gomes would be a better RB than hutton, remember the last time we played man united at home and he was playing. rooney turned him inside out like a sock. it was embarrasing to watch

i agree with mullo that hudds defensive duties have gone way up. he is tracking back and pushing players around like he is well able to do . if he does that even more and starts to score goals he will become a complete midfielder

• Advertisement

mickman wrote: »
    he is on loan, not sold. plus gomes would be a better RB than hutton, remember the last time we played man united at home and he was playing. rooney turned him inside out like a sock. it was embarrasing to watch

Yea sorry knew he was on loan my bad. Haven't seen too much of him at Sunderland this year, but hes playing regular football. Hopefully hes improving anyway.

Advertisement