Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Newbie, First Conversion. Any tips?

• 18-04-2010 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hello all.

I have been reading this forum for a year or two now and have finally started my conversion. I am converting a LWB Mercedes Sprinter 98. Due to getting a job with a company van the blue beast is no longer needed for work and it's her time for retirement.

I am hoping to just do the very basics to get it through the registration as a camper and ready for the summer. I have a few questions and would really appreciate any help. I am new to everything, wood work, electrics etc.. but am going to try my hand at it all as there is a very tight budget.

So far the bed is built, the unit for the sink and two ring hob is made but not in place, the insulation is in on the walls.

My questions are

1. Do you have to remove the double seat in the front? I am hoping to leave it in

2. Does the gas bottle need to be in a metal casing?

3. Are side facing passanger seats in the back o.k? I have a pair from an old bus Eireann bus with lap seat belts. Are these belts o.k?

4.How good does the body work need to be? It's a bit rusty this is a job for after it's registered (hopefully)

5. Has anybody had experience of re-registering a van in Galway?

Thanks in advance. I'm based in Kilcolgan Co. Galway if anyone is passing and would like to share their wisdom.

I will keep updates of how we are getting along. Thanks again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Kenn81 wrote: »
    4.How good does the body work need to be? It's a bit rusty this is a job for after it's registered (hopefully)

Just on that note:
    You'll never get at the insides as well again as you can now. Make sure to treat any rust on inside panels and seams and seal it all with waxoyl or similar before you cover anything up.

On the other points unfortunately I have no experience to offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

1. Do you have to remove the double seat in the front? I am hoping to leave it in.

Leave it and when you do the insurance send in the photos - see what they say, you can alway change it if you have to.

2. Does the gas bottle need to be in a metal casing?
    It should be secured so that in the event of an accident it won't fly around

The rubber hose connecting it should be 18 inches or less -the rest needs to be copper, if you only have a cooker just make sure it's directly connected as short as possible. There should be a hole in the floor of the an so that any gas leak escapes.. Best thing to do is put in mounting points for a strap or two and build a wodden locker.

3. Are side facing passanger seats in the back o.k? I have a pair from an old bus Eireann bus with lap seat belts. Are these belts o.k?

Don't know - do you realy need them?

It will have to pass DOE but now is the best time to fix it.

5. Has anybody had experience of re-registering a van in Galway?

No but you just bring it in and see how you get on. Make sure you have 1.8 M or more standing height behind the drivers seat and all trough the van don't be under. Make sure it looks like a proper camper and that they know you are going to used it as a camper. If it's 3 ton the VRT is 50 euro othere wise it's 13% of the open market value set by them so leave the best of the finishing till after.

Down load the engineers report form from one of the isurance sites - dolmen should have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

If it's 3 ton the VRT is 50 euro othere wise it's 13% of the open market value set by them so leave the best of the finishing till after.

surely this is only applicable to a non-Irish registered vehicle? If he's converting an Irish reg van is it not just a change of tax classification?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 merc camper

Side facing seats are fine not much point in using the lap belts u will probably cause as much injury with them on as off.
    For your insurance with dolmen they will probably ask for photos of the inside u are supposed to be able to move between the front and back. When i got insurance they covered me with the undertaking that I would change it to a single seat.
    I brought my van to the tax office in clondalkin they inspected it, taxed it as a camper and changed the log book. No mention of weight or paying VRT, I know that people on this forum have a different opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

No mention of weight or paying VRT, I know that people on this forum have a different opinion.

The problem is, you're at the mercy of the VRT people on the day.

Theoretically they could insist that now as a camper the vehicle has a higher OMSP (open market sales price) than a nekkid, battered van and so they would be entitled to a share of that in the form of VRT.

Some do just that and the poor converter ends up paying in VRT nearly what they paid for the van in the first place.

Some couldn't be bothered and the owner walks away happy.

The problem is ...you don't know what they're going to do until it happens to you on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Kenn81

HI all

THe van is coming along nicely. Decided thanks to your advice to do the body work. Found some very bad rust that the screwdriver went straight through. Weilding, and Isopon to beat the band, and a crazy amount of sanding. I need to get it re-painted now. Matt Black.

Have to figure out how to do this on a budget. I think I'll do it myself as I have a shed to do it in. Any tips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I used to paint my old Merc vans with an ordinary roller, make sure its a foam one. The finish is not as smooth as a spraygun but its waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy cheaper. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Kenn81 wrote: »
    HI all

THe van is coming along nicely. Decided thanks to your advice to do the body work. Found some very bad rust that the screwdriver went straight through. Weilding, and Isopon to beat the band, and a crazy amount of sanding. I need to get it re-painted now. Matt Black.

Have to figure out how to do this on a budget. I think I'll do it myself as I have a shed to do it in. Any tips?

Lots of info on diying with a roller on here (over 1000 posts) http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18751&hilit=rustoleum

As with any paint job preparation and a lot of sanding and polishing. Those who make the effort get really good results, those that don't get a lot of lumps, bumps, runs and orange peel.

As regards MATT black, I reckon thats a too tall an order - even greasy fingers make matt black look a complete state and you wont be able to cut back and polish obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Keep it the same colour as it is now that way if you miss bits around the doors... it won't show up as bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Kenn81

O.k so.

After a lot of hard work the van is finished. I hope.

We did all the bodywork on the outside and inside ourselves and re-sprayed it Ford Tractor blue. Have to say I'm pretty happy with the end result.

We then built all cabinets and bed out of wood and put in insulation and panels.

Carpet and replacing the double front with a single passanger and away we went.

We got a quote and cover from Staurts who were very helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Side facing seats are fine not much point in using the lap belts u will probably cause as much injury with them on as off.

I thought there was regulation coming in/already in that all travelling passengers must be seated in forward facing seats? :confused:

Advertisement