Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wigan vs Arsenal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats Wigwam safe and Arsenal done.

"who are ya?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Jaysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Charles Insomnia makes it a day to forget for the Gunners. Wowzer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Turning off at half time FAIL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

what a season this is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Absolutely unbelievable scenes at the DW Stadium, Jeff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

BAHAHAHAHAHA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

mike65 wrote: »
    Thats Wigwam safe and Arsenal done.

"who are ya?"

At least they have Champions League next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Thats unbeilevable stuff :eek:

Three of last years top 4 beaten at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Stuck on the Rugby League for 10 minutes, seems I missed quite a bit.

• Advertisement

Wtf just happed there :eek:

Well played Wigan, safe from relegation now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

Unforgiveable from Arsenal. Completely took their foot off the gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lol @ Merson

delighted for ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Laughing here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

You have got to be kidding me. :mad:I'm fairly pissed off right now.

Well done Wigan though, well deserved!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SpodoKamodo

Fabianski should never play for Arsenal ever again, put Mannone in for the rest of the season. Sagna has been playing ****e for most of this season, the less said about silvestre the better, Clichy hasn't been the same since his layoff... Wenger has to look at a total overhaul of that defense in the summer.

Someone hardly bet on Wigan at 2-0 down? :p

They were probably 1000/1 on betfair

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Terribe from Fabrianski, though never a foul by Sagna which led to the pressure for the second goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Holy crap - some match . How did Arsenal let that slip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Wenger has to look at a total overhaul of that defense in the summer.

Problem was the midfield. Just didn't hold onto the ball. It should be easy for that lot just to pass it around a bit and play for time given how technically accomplished they are, but it seems they haven't a braincell between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Well done Wigan ,but I wanted ye fighting for survival on the last day , Oh Well , still been one hell of a weekend for Utd :D

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    At least they have Champions League next season.

That was the chant at the DW Stadium, not my commentary, now cool your jets Sir! :p

Vic_Bob_Handbags.jpg

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The back four was alright. Diaby in particular was absolutely ****ing hopeless - the talk of Walcott having no brain is misdirected. Rosicky was woeful too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I like Merson. He does talk the truth. Keeper is rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Well done Wigan ,but I want ye fighting for survival on the last day , Oh Well , still been one hell of a weekend for Utd :D

All yer opponents have just fallen down all around ye,, ye jammy feckers!!:D
    As a city fan, I was fuming yesterday but after the chelsea match and this match all I can do now is smile about it or go slowly nuts!!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Osu wrote: »
    I like Merson.

worst 3 words anyone has ever typed on this fourm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Yeah Merson talking a bit of sense for once. Wenger somewhat blew that by not bringing van Persie on earlier. Arsenal were non existant as an attacking threat once Silvestre scored.

Not that I'd hold it against him but I thought Eastmond was poor. Easily pushed off the ball and didn't really win many tackles.

Wenger didn't think RVP was needed and to be fair he wasn't....Arsenal should never have blown that possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

what a weekend this has been :D:D:D:D

Well played Wigan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

mike65 wrote: »
    Wenger didn't think RVP was needed and to be fair he wasn't....Arsenal should never have blown that possession.

That's true but, he should have been brought on much earlier anyway, even if only to get more minutes in before the City game!

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

What an absolute joke. We stopped playing after the second goal and then panicked once their first went in. Wenger knows what Fabianski is like, quite why he decides to play him is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Well done Wigan, can't believe I turned off the match to watch the BBC re-run of the F1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Fabianski is not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

mayordenis wrote: »

Have to agree with the poster who said they liked Merson. In fairness to Merson, he just says what he sees. He does not have the Andy Gray et al Sky blinkers on when he talks. His analysis of the game today was spot on.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Fabianski is not good.

Neither is Almunia...what can we do right now? Fúck all! I'd like to see Mannone come in now!

What did Wenger say?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

What did Wenger say?

Think he is doing a Fergie

What did Wenger say?

Hasn't been on SS1 yet anyway. I expect a very honest assessment conveying his disappointment and anger at the result and indicating that certain performances weren't good enough and that we may need to strengthen in certain areas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Have to agree with the poster who said they liked Merson. In fairness to Merson, he just says what he sees. He does not have the Andy Gray et al Sky blinkers on when he talks. His analysis of the game today was spot on.

You've got to be joking. Merson was made look like a fool today and I absolutely loved it. Before the game he was talking crap about Wigan and Martinez.

"I think they're gonna get hammered today."

"Their players aren't good enough to play that type of football in this league."

"It's all well and good playing good football in a lower division with Swansea but not at this level."

And Wigan went out and played their game and deservedly won the match. They have beaten Chelsea and Liverpool also and if memory serves me right neither Benitez nor Ancelotti disputed that they deserved their wins on those days. Even Keys called him out on his earlier comments and he then deflected away from them by going on about Fabianski. "Yeah but the goalkeeper's rubbish...."

Merson was left with egg all over his face and I was delighted.

Fair play to Wigan and the winning goal was one of the best I've seen this season. I'm loving this weekend I must say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Bloody hell, I recorded last nights MOTD and after seeing Arsenal were 2-0 up I decided to go and watch MOTD and then arrive back to the computer to see Arsenal winning 7-0.

I must watch the highlights this evening.
    You'd never have thought Wigan would have done that to Arsenal.

As a United fan this has been a near perfect weekend results wise.

Glazers Out!

You've got to be joking. Merson was made look like a fool today and I absolutely loved it. Before the game he was talking crap about Wigan and Martinez.

"I think they're gonna get hammered today."

"Their players aren't good enough to play that type of football in this league."

"It's all well and good playing good football in a lower division with Swansea but not at this level."

And Wigan went out and played their game and deservedly won the match. They have beaten Chelsea and Liverpool also and if memory serves me right neither Benitez nor Ancelotti disputed that they deserved their wins on those days. Even Keys called him out on his earlier comments and he then deflected away from them by going on about Fabianski. "Yeah but the goalkeeper's rubbish...."

Merson was left with egg all over his face and I was delighted.

Fair play to Wigan and the winning goal was one of the best I've seen this season. I'm loving this weekend I must say.

It was a freak result, especially after being 2-0 up. Nobody expected that at all and Wigan showed us what we could have done in the last 10 minutes against Spurs! The most disappointing thing was that we didn't look interested at all today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

What was the end result??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

jasonorr wrote: »
    It was a freak result, especially after being 2-0 up.

This isn't actually something I'd agree with.
    The last I heard we were 2-0 up and when I heard the final score I wasn;t even suprised, so what does that tell you about the team?

Yes we were missing basically an entire first XI but come on, we had:

Sagna: First Choice RB
    Clichy: First Choice LB
    Diaby: First Choice CM
    Nasri: First Choice CM/Winger
    Walcott: Second Choice Winger (First Choice if Nasri plays central)
    Rosicky: Second Choice Winger
    Bendtner: First Choice ST (atm)

on the pitch, that team should have seen off Wigan ffs.

Not having the ability to kill off a game has cost us yet again this season, a la West Ham, Birmingham and Burnley.

Frisbee wrote: »
    This isn't actually something I'd agree with.
    The last I heard we were 2-0 up and when I heard the final score I wasn;t even suprised, so what does that tell you about the team?

Yes we were missing basically an entire first XI but come on, we had:

Sagna: First Choice RB
    Clichy: First Choice LB
    Diaby: First Choice CM
    Nasri: First Choice CM/Winger
    Walcott: Second Choice Winger (First Choice if Nasri plays central)
    Rosicky: Second Choice Winger
    Bendtner: First Choice ST (atm)

on the pitch, that team should have seen off Wigan ffs.

Not having the ability to kill off a game has cost us yet again this season, a la West Ham, Birmingham and Burnley.

Your post has done nothing but, confuse me. The team we had out there should have had enought to see out the game after being 2-0 up with 10 minutes to go. If that' not a freak result, then I dunno what is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

A freak result would be 20-0, not 3-2 with a strong push from Wigan in the last 10 minutes.

baz2009 wrote: »
    A freak result would be 20-0, not 3-2 with a strong push from Wigan in the last 10 minutes.

Get out of it, 3 goals from Wigan in the last 10 minutes to beat Arsenal??? It should never have happened!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Your post has done nothing but, confuse me. The team we had out there should have had enought to see out the game after being 2-0 up with 10 minutes to go. If that' not a freak result, then I dunno what is!

Sorry I worded it poorly.

I wouldn't look upon it as a freak result as we've no ruthlesness in the team which has cost us on several other occasions this year.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Sorry I worded it poorly.

I wouldn't look upon it as a freak result as we've no ruthlesness in the team which has cost us on several other occasions this year.

It has cost us before but, we're not going to agree on this occasion. 10 minutes of madness including an injury time winner spells F.R.E.A.K. to me.

At the same time, have to ask questions of Sagna & Fabianski for the first, the ref and Fabianski for the second, maybe a tackle should have went in for the third but no keeper's getting to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It has cost us before but, we're not going to agree on this occasion. 10 minutes of madness including an injury time winner spells F.R.E.A.K. to me.

At the same time, have to ask questions of Sagna & Fabianski for the first, the ref and Fabianski for the second, maybe a tackle should have went in for the third but no keeper's getting to that.

The last 10 minutes count just as much as the other 80 minutes do. You have to play until the final whistle. I've seen Wigan finish strongly a few times this season and while Wigan showed a lot of heart Arsenal just didn't have it in them to see the result out.

Was the Birmingham result a freak result too or is it a sign that Arsenal are lacking something? I would say the latter.

Advertisement