Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most improved player in the Premiership

• 18-04-2010 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭

Remember Gomes for Spurs having some nightmare games when he first joined but he has been sensational recently.
    Anyone else

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Song
    Fletcher
    Malouda
    Huddlestone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

Titus Bramble, went from the worst defender in the premiership to captaining Wigan & their player of the year

/thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

Bale i think for spurs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Milner

/thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Lucas
    Song
    Hart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Bale
    Gomes
    Song
    Malouda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

weemcd wrote: »
    /thread
    Seaneh wrote: »
    /thread

God I hate when people do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

weemcd wrote: »
    Titus Bramble, went from the worst defender in the prem to captaining Wigan

/thread

3rd worst defence in the league Wigan?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Lucas has come a long way this season compared to the previous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

On a biased level, Lucas. Not many players have been booed by their home fans at Anfield and lived much longer to tell the tale, while he's gone on to be one of our most regular starters and consistent performers.

On a league level, Gareth Bale went from a winning jinx to one of the best left sided players in a matter of months.

James Milner, average player with Newcastle and Villa and has turned into one of the best and most versatile players in the league, and an England candidate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    On a biased level, Lucas. Not many players have been booed by their home fans at Anfield and lived much longer to tell the tale, while he's gone on to be one of our most regular starters and consistent performers.

On a league level, Gareth Bale went from a winning jinx to one of the best left sided players in a matter of months.

James Milner, average player with Newcastle and Villa and has turned into one of the best and most versatile players in the league, and an England candidate.
    Yeah Lucas to be fair has done well for us this year. Works very hard for the team. Not the most creative players but I think every liverpool fan was delighted to see him get that goal recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Bale, he has come along brilliant this seaon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Remember Gomes for Spurs having some nightmare games when he first joined but he has been sensational recently.
    Anyone else

He had a few nightmare games when he first joined Spurs and then went on that season to set a Spurs record for fewest goals conceded at home.

He's been consistently good for them since right after those first few games.

Wouldn't say he's most improved, just had a bad start like many foreign players when they first go to England.

Dancor wrote: »
    Bale, he has come along brilliant this seaon.
    Yes Bale was terrific yesterday. Will be curious to see how he fares at the weekend.

Lennon has improved his final ball no end as well actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Chelsea - Malouda.
    United - Fletcher
    Arsenal - Song
    Spurs - Bale
    City - Tevez (great improvement on his performances with United last season, which has come as I thought it would with first team football)
    Liverpool - Lucas
    Aston Villa - Milner
    Everton - Pienarr
    Birmingham - Bowyer
    Fulham - Zamora

Not really sure bout the rest of the teams - would have to think about it and I'm too lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I had written off Gareth Bale earlier in the seaon having him show little or nothing up until then, but he's been brilliant the last few months.

Ale Song has come on in leaps and bounds.

Nani deserves a shout, has improved massivley this season.. Similarly Lucas at Liverpool.

Malouda at Chelsea is unrecognisable the last few months.

Winner for me would be Bobby Zamora, has finally matured into a monster of a centre forward this season. Should be on the plane to South Africa IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Dawson has also improved greatly this season.

Could we include Rooney? Yes he has always been excellent but this is the season he has truly hit his potential and is arguably in the top 3 players in the world currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Gary Cahill

Had potential at Villa but ever looked like fulfilling it. Moved to Bolton and has become a superb centre half.

He'd be deserving of a place in the World Cup squad had he not gotten that arm injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Smegball wrote: »

Could we include Rooney? Yes he has always been excellent but this is the season he has truly hit his potential and is arguably in the top 3 players in the world currently.

His goalscoring has improved, but I actually think his all-round game has gone backwards this season. I have never seen him misplace as many passes as he has this season. There has been a few occasions where we have almost concede as a result of him giving possession away poorly (two times cause of "Giggs-Flicks" in the defensive third)

I would accept his all-round game has become poorer as a result of his concentration on getting the goals that have been so important to United, but i do think it is something that should be looked at.

• Advertisement

Smegball wrote: »

Em No :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Alex Song, no contest imo.

Malouda is a fine shout, he's been Chelsea's best player this season - right up there if not better then Drogba.

Likewise with Bowyer, and you can put Ferguson in the hat with that one, he's been sublime this season.

Carlos Cuellar has been a huge improvement at Villa over the last season or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Alex Song, no contest imo.
    We're talking about the whole league here, not just Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Malouda had a great second half to last season though, so not exactly a dramatic improvement. Fletcher has been absolutely superb for over 2 years now, so I wouldn't include him in this either. And Pienaar was one of Everton's best players last season.

I'd go for Lennon before he got injured, Lucas and a heavily biased selection in Nani.

Archimedes wrote: »
    I'd go for Lennon before he got injured, Lucas and a heavily biased selection in Nani.

I'll actually +1 Nani, he's been much better recently then what I've seen from him during the first few years at Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Milner, since he's been moved into the centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Fellaini
    Milner
    R Johnson
    Baines
    A Young
    Bendtner
    Bale

Baines was always very good very consistent performer and Young had a better season last year then this year IMO

• Advertisement

Esse85 wrote: »

I am aware of that.

hitman79 wrote: »
    Fellaini
    Milner
    R Johnson
    Baines
    A Young
    Bendtner
    Bale

Rubbish

Baines was always very good very consistent performer and Young had a better season last year then this year IMO

Yeah agreed on young, if anything he's dis-improved on last years showings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭fikay

Bent at Sunderland is worth a shout considering the miserable time he had at Spurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

That's a ridiculous response. Have you watched him much? Obviously there's bias here, but I really do think Song has come on this season like no other player in the league. Almost every Arsenal fan was writing off Song as not even being good enough for the league at the start of the season. Now he's finished it as one of the best DMs in the league and arguably Arsenal's best performer this season after Cesc. Milner and Malouda at least were proven Premiership players at the start of the season (and almost everyone else mentioned).

Zamora has been excellent.

Carlton Cole has really improved too.

• Advertisement

That's a ridiculous response. Have you watched him much? Obviously there's bias here, but I really do think Song has come on this season like no other player in the league. Almost every Arsenal fan was writing off Song as not even being good enough for the league at the start of the season. Now he's finished it as one of the best DMs in the league and arguably Arsenal's best performer this season after Cesc. Milner and Malouda at least were proven Premiership players at the start of the season (and almost everyone else mentioned).
    Thats why every non Arsenal fan has mentioned him so is it?

Thats why every non Arsenal fan has mentioned him so is it?

I mentioned him. He's been savage for them this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Someone mentioned Fellaini :confused:

I think he's been superb since he signed for Everton.

flahavaj wrote: »
    I mentioned him. He's been savage for them this season.
    Take a bow

Zamora has been excellent.

Carlton Cole has really improved too.

Cole definitely hasn't improved this season , hampered by injury of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Des wrote: »
    Someone mentioned Fellaini :confused:

I think he's been superb since he signed for Everton.
    Fellaini was shocking when he first arrived. Lazy and far too many booking but did score a few goals. This season he was much improved til the derby match ended his season.

Take a bow

LOL someone's antsy today.

Stephen Carr deserves a shout in here as well, thought he was long finished.

JPA wrote: »
    Cole definitely hasn't improved this season , hampered by injury of course.
    9 league goals in 18 appearances would suggest otherwise unless you can show me a better goal return from him over the same number of games.

9 league goals in 18 appearances would suggest otherwise unless you can show me a better goal return from him over the same number of games.

Yes he has scored but last season he was dominating defences and was in some England squads. He has not improved at all IMO.

Bendtner deserves a mention imo

JPA: So as a striker, when you improve your goals to games ratio, you dont class this as an improvement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Bendtner deserves a mention imo

Not really, I thought he did well last year too!

JPA: So as a striker, when you improve your goals to games ratio, you dont class this as an improvement?

:confused: Have you watched him this season? He's not half the player he was last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

darren fletcher imo

JPA wrote: »
    :confused: Have you watched him this season? He's not half the player he was last season.
    I have watched West Ham a few times on tv, his goals to games ratio has been the most prolific of his career so far this season I would imagine. As a striker, this indicates he has improved. A striker is judged firstly on goals scored.

• Advertisement
Advertisement