Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most improved player in the Premiership

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Esse85 wrote: »
    I have watched West Ham a few times on tv, his goals to games ratio has been the most prolific of his career so far this season I would imagine. As a striker, this indicates he has improved. A striker is judged firstly on goals scored.

I disagree but whatever. Cole is not just about goals, that's only part of his role for West Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

JPA wrote: »
    I disagree but whatever. Cole is not just about goals, that's only part of his role for West Ham.
    Im sure Zola isnt complaining about his increase in goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Yes I'm pwopa nawty.;)

Anyhooo baaaack on topic:

Keith Fahey has added a good work ethic to his undoubted skills this season with Birmingham this season. Delighted to see him doing so well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Matthew Etherington kicked on this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

And bramble scores today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Off topic nonsense removed.

handbags.jpg

Put them away folks.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Ivanovich anyone? Looked solid before but has had a great season, adding a lot to his forward play, popping up with a few assists

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Off of Chelsea:

-Malouda: Brilliant second half to the season, but showed a lot of promise in the first half too. Excellent form since Hiddink arrived, then has continued as such under Ancelloti.

-Mikel: I used to cringe every time this lad went within 10 feet of the ball, but now, I don't know. He seems to be settling in better, but a lot of improvement still needed.

Then some people have mentioned Ivanovic. He was animal for us last season too. He is defo one of the best players in the Chelsea squad (I voted him as player of the year, but that will probably go to Drogba). He will be a very formidable player for Serbia in the WC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

+1 on Gomes, some unreal saves recently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Ivanovich anyone? Looked solid before but has had a great season, adding a lot to his forward play, popping up with a few assists

Always quality that guy, was never bad enough for significant improvement.

Has to be Frank Lampard. Remember all the confused pundits with dropped jaws at the £11m Chelsea paid for him all those years ago? He was a good player, but if anyone could have predicted he'd improve to be the machine of a player he still is today he wouldn't have gone to that Chelsea team and nobody would have shaked their head at £30m for him as that's the least he's been worth to the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Nasri has upped his game this season massively imo, I'd also give a shout to

- Etherington
    - Valencia
    - Lucas
    - Malouda
    - Bale
    - Diaby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Bendtner deserves a mention imo
    I was going to mention him, he has been a little better this season, but he's still shít :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

8-10 wrote: »
    Always quality that guy, was never bad enough for significant improvement.
    Thought it was just this season, prob a bit harsh on him now that a reread the thread :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Over the course of this season two players that have really improved in my mind would be Malouda and Valencia.

Malouda has taken his time to show his best for Chelsea but it seems to be coming at the right time if they can improve after yesterday and take the league title and you would assume at least win the F.A Cup, he'll defintiely have played a huge part in their success.

Valencia had a tough job in replacing Ronaldo, but while Ronaldo was a phenomenal player Valencia's recent form show's that he's a much better winger than Ronaldo was at United. You always expect him to delivera bag full of good quality crosses when he plays and he's starting to look more comfortable at United of late and is growing into the role nicely.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Quandary

Surprised someone hasnt mentioned our very own Richard Dunne, fair enough he was good at city(who were crazy to sell him) but he's been even better at Villa not to mention adding a few goals to his name this season!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

The most improved player this season has to be Bobby Zamora. Last season he was being laughed at by his own fans and this year a possible England striker.

I dont see how people can put in players like Malouda and Valencia who each cost close to £20m. They were excellent players in the first place to be bought for that much and are just playing to form.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Esse85 wrote: »
    I have watched West Ham a few times on tv, his goals to games ratio has been the most prolific of his career so far this season I would imagine. As a striker, this indicates he has improved. A striker is judged firstly on goals scored.

Cole was quality last season. He's also been good this season but has been hampered by injuries.

I really rate him as a player, but I think you may be forgetting how good he was in the 08/09 season to class this year as an improvement. I wouldn't necessarily say he's gone backwards, but don't think his name should really be mentioned in this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Gomes has always been a top quality keeper though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Warper wrote: »
    I dont see how people can put in players like Malouda and Valencia who each cost close to £20m. They were excellent players in the first place to be bought for that much and are just playing to form.

Malouda I can see why because he was so poor at Chelsea up until the end of last season. Valencia though I agree. He's done well but he didn't earn himself a move to Man United by being shít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

And Malouda cost £13.5million which isn't really that close to 20. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭rednik

I would go for Anelka on the grounds that I feel he is no longer the selfish spoilt brat he once was. He is now a real team player and would be an asset in any team.

Zamora is the clear winner. Many of the players mentioned have always been good or been good in the past Malouda, Gomes etc.

But Zamora was frankly average at best for along time.
    Now he's Drogbaesque in his performaces, especially in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Personally for us at Chelsea it has to be Malouda this year, mention also to Anelka who has become more of a team player but both these players have improved.

Other players to get mentioned, Bale, Song, Hart, Milner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Alexandre Song

He's stepped up hugely this year and imo should be the second name on the teamsheet every game just after Fabregas.

Good positioning, good reading of the game and knows when to commit those little fouls to break down play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

This would make a good award from the PFA, at least something a little original unlike the flawed system of the Player and Young player awards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I'm suprised none of the other villa fans have mentioned Agbonlahor. This was another season where he's improved his overall game and also his goal scoring record.

While not the most skillful of players he really seems to have the right attitude and work rate, and is always looking for ways to improve his game

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I was going to mention him, he has been a little better this season, but he's still shít :D

Has only been played in his correct position since RVP has been out, his goals return is very good imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

matrim wrote: »
    I'm suprised none of the other villa fans have mentioned Agbonlahor. This was another season where he's improved his overall game and also his goal scoring record.

While not the most skillful of players he really seems to have the right attitude and work rate, and is always looking for ways to improve his game

Terribe player :p, each time I have put him as captain in FF he has done nothing, have him as captain again this week :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Bale
    Song
    Lucas

in that order IMO.

Terribe player :p, each time I have put him as captain in FF he has done nothing, have him as captain again this week :(

Put him as captain next week, he will definitely score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I have been impressed with evertons Pienaar this season, bale is a good shout too but I definatly think Rooney has improved as much as any player this season from the level he was at when the season began, has been sensational has improved many areas of his game, his heading in particular and has definatly controled his agression

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Redknapp said today that Hughes and mourinho(on Loan) tried to get him last summer :eek: imagine if he had gone on to be great and we let him slip through he's having a great 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Milner
    Bent
    Gomes
    Meyler
    Dawson
    Hart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

For the first 4 months of this season, I think my captain always got me a max of 6 points (including double points) but every time the week after I changed captain the same player always got at least 10.

Fletcher, Bale, Milner. Bobby Zamora has been in top form this year too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Frisbee wrote: »
    Alexandre Song

He's stepped up hugely this year and imo should be the second name on the teamsheet every game just after Fabregas.

Good positioning, good reading of the game and knows when to commit those little fouls to break down play.
    +1

I was going to add song to the list. Immense improvement this season. Really shines in the DM role

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Bobby Zamora without a doubt. He was laughable this time last year IMO and is now pushing for a world cup place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

flahavaj wrote: »

Stephen Carr deserves a shout in here as well, thought he was long finished.

+1 on that, he has put in some great performances.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    This would make a good award from the PFA, at least something a little original unlike the flawed system of the Player and Young player awards.

Think that could be insulting to some players if a more senior won it.

"Well you've been rubbish the last few seasons but heres an award to show you've got better this season".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I go Zamora and Bale

tdv123 wrote: »
    Think that could be insulting to some players if a more senior won it.

"Well you've been rubbish the last few seasons but heres an award to show you've got better this season".

:D But I reckon a player knows when they have improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Its hard to pick out one that has been the most improved. My list would be

Matthew Etherington
    Joe Hart
    Stephen Hunt
    James Milner
    Carlos Cuellar
    Richard Dunne
    Gareth Bale
    Steven Pienaar
    Louis Saha
    Michael Dawson
    Heurelho Gomes
    Craig Bellamy
    Bobby Zamora
    Damien Duff
    Nicklas Bendtner
    Florent Malouda
    Lucas Leiva

If I had to pick one out of that bunch and I find it difficult but its maybe for me between Etherington, Zamora and Stephen Hunt. I think I'd have to go with Hunt, he has just been outstanding on a terrible team and has blown me away everytime I've got to see him play. Its very tight though especially between those three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

eagle eye wrote: »

If I had to pick one out of that bunch and I find it difficult but its maybe for me between Etherington, Zamora and Stephen Hunt. I think I'd have to go with Hunt, he has just been outstanding on a terrible team and has blown me away everytime I've got to see him play. Its very tight though especially between those three.

not bad call Hull have missed him big time since he got injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Zamora or Bale, Hodgson compared his value to that of Edin Dzeko and Bale is being hailed as one of the best players in Europe.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8610587.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/8629746.stm

Compare that to the things fans were saying about them last season, huge contrast.

Advertisement