Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diamond Hill, Connemara - fab walking!

Options
  • 18-04-2010 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

I went to Diamond Hill yesterday - the walk was fantastic, the views on all sides were incredible, over the sea and the mountains and valleys. I was really impressed with the layout of the walks - staged loops, where you could just do the short easy walk if you had toddlers for instance, a little longer walk, but still easy if you want a short ramble, or the full 7km walk, which had a fair bit of uphill scrambling, but was on steps...
    the visitor centre had very reasonably priced teas, sandwiches and cakes, and was free to look around the displays about the hill and bogs... and there were loads of picnic benches and a little playground, and lambs and sheep wandering around.
    Had the best day out in ages, and it was all totally FREE! Highly recommend it as a day trip - starts from the carpark in the Connemara National Park, Letterfrack.

Just a question - on the way out, after passing Kylemore abbey, there was a lot of earthworks on the left...does anyone know what's being built there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Used to be a sand & gravel quarry to the best of my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

next time go even wester , as in glassillaun beach. there are a few hills there , when you have it climbed you can see as far as the little islands of the coast of galway . little killary is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

is letterfrack far from Galway city?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Just under the hour depending on the traffic.

Yeah, Diamond Hill is a great spot, as is Connemara National Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Its about and hour and a bit out the Maam cross road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

i'll have to look into going out there for a walk/look!

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

was there myself for the first time last friday,was really impressed,nice to get off the prom for a day and enjoy connemara,so lucky with what we have in galway.cafe was nice and people lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭flemishgael

Is the loop walk around Diamond Hill signposted? I suppose it is, but not entirely sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

its a loop walk - very straightforward and no danger of going of track so no signage on walk needed.

Edit: if you mean directons to .. then: http://www.discoverireland.ie/Activities-Adventure/diamond-hill-loop-walk/62332

above states a strenuous 2-3 hour walk - its neither believe me (I did it with kids in 1.5 hours)

Advertisement