Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Question for the alarm installers..

• 18-04-2010 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Alright lads,

An opportunity has arisen and I want to get registered with the PSA. Had an Nsai license a couple of years ago but let it lapse. I think there are a few cheaper alternatives to the Nsai but can't remember off hand. Any advice or guidance.

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The NSAI is an expensive option. I went with EQA, about 1000 euro plus VAT. Not a bad bunch OK to deal with although I did have a serious issue with one of their inspectors who didn't know his arse from his elbow regarding the installation end of things. He had also used bad language whilst talking to me during an inspection that the householder had heard. Not great TBH.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The following certification bodies may audit for EN50131 and I.S.228:

National Standards Authority of Ireland, Northwood Dublin 9 - Telephone: 01-8073800

EQA Ireland Ltd., 15 Greenmount House Greenmount Office Park, Harold's Cross, Dublin 6W- Telephone: 01-4734188
    Management Systems Certification Ltd., Bayview House, 49, North Strand Rd., Dublin 3 - Telephone: 01-8364836

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Jnealon

MSC are now based in Wexford.
    There's also Certics/NSI and SSIAB. I would rate some of the UK certification bodies above the Irish ones just from talking to them at trade shows.These guys will be at IFSEC in a few weeks time if you want to meet them
    You may hear the story about the auditor who thought the heating controller was a new alarm system, not sure who it was but they all deny it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭knx

Cheers guys.

In Wexford myself actually so might check MSC out first. Just noticed on the PSA website that you can apply for an exemption in order to get some installs done for inspection. Don't think that option was available when I went about getting registered before. Anyone know how long this exemption lasts and does it essentially mean that I can just pay the PSA right now and pay for certification at a later date.

knx wrote: »
    Cheers guys.

In Wexford myself actually so might check MSC out first. Just noticed on the PSA website that you can apply for an exemption in order to get some installs done for inspection. Don't think that option was available when I went about getting registered before. Anyone know how long this exemption lasts and does it essentially mean that I can just pay the PSA right now and pay for certification at a later date.

You give the PSA their few bob, they give you an exemption in order to install enough systems so you can be audited and be certified.

I can't remember how many installations or the time scale but it's not many. When you have your jobs done the certification body inspects them, at this stage you pay for your certification.

• Advertisement

You may hear the story about the auditor who thought the heating controller was a new alarm system, not sure who it was but they all deny it

I'd well believe it. Some of them are real planks. They should really be ex installers rather than ex civil servants.
    My last inspection the inspector was looking into a Fusion which had an Astec PIR card with nine PIR's wired into it with three pairs :)
    He asked me three times where the cables were for the nine PIR's, I had to draw him a diagram to show him how they were wired :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭knx

You give the PSA their few bob, they give you an exemption in order to install enough systems so you can be audited and be certified.

I can't remember how many installations or the time scale but it's not many. When you have your jobs done the certification body inspects them, at this stage you pay for your certification.

Cheers. Mightn't be a long time but at least you don't have to fork out the whole lot all at once which is what I meant. Couple of weeks to a month between the two is a big help at the moment..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭altor

knx wrote: »
    Cheers guys.

There is a lot of forms to fill out plus your certification body will also inspect you for the S.R. 40. You need to register with a certification body then they will give you a letter to give to the PSA in order for you to get the exemption order to allow you to install 5 alarms so the certification body can inspect your work and make sure it is up to the EN50131 standards. Once you pass the inspection the certification body will send a copy of your cert to the PSA for them to issue you with your licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 stoneyxox

Hi guys I dunno if I'm in right forum but I am an auto electrician. I installed my own hkc system in my own property bout three years ago. Today I received letter from psa asking who installed my alarm. There is a return form to send back to them. I said that I'd install system myself as it is fairly self explanatory diagrams in the hkc manual. Where should I go from here? I didn't think it would be a problem to install on my own property. I also installed cameras around the place. Can they prosecute me???

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Not for a self install.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

Prosecution is only an option if money changes hands for installing is it not?

So what do I put on the form and will that be the end of it after I send back form or will they turn up on my door asking questions

You put down that you installed it yourself. They can do nothing about that.

Will they come knocking

No,Its unlikely

Thanks guys for your input I was bit worried there thinking the worst.one alarm installer said they might come to my house asking me awkward questions and threatening with 3000€ fine. Can they tell the difference between a dummy hkc box and the real thing?? What if I said its a dummy box?

Its not illegal to install your own alarm.You don't have to lie about doing it or the equipment you used.Tell them you installed it and if they turn up on your doorstep tell them the same swiftly followed by an F off.

Seriously though,they have bigger fish to fry than 1 homeowner.They were probably hoping you'd tell them it was someone who they already suspect of doing loads of them on the side.

superg wrote: »
    Prosecution is only an option if money changes hands for installing is it not?

No. They closed that loop Hole. It's illegal to install or maintain burglar alarms without a valid PSA licence even for non profit.

Seriously though,they have bigger fish to fry than 1 homeowner.They were probably hoping you'd tell them it was someone who they already suspect of doing loads of them on the side.

That's part of the problem. They won't prosecute the home owner. Even when the proof is there they never have. They use the home owner to hang the installer.

No. They closed that loop Hole. It's illegal to install or maintain burglar alarms without a valid PSA licence even for non profit.

But not in your own home?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Mod action: Thread moved from the electrical forum.

But not in your own home?

Correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭kub

stoneyxox wrote: »
    Hi guys I dunno if I'm in right forum but I am an auto electrician. I installed my own hkc system in my own property bout three years ago. Today I received letter from psa asking who installed my alarm. There is a return form to send back to them. I said that I'd install system myself as it is fairly self explanatory diagrams in the hkc manual. Where should I go from here? I didn't think it would be a problem to install on my own property. I also installed cameras around the place. Can they prosecute me???

Thank you firstly for mentioning how helpful the HKC manual was, it was something I recently mentioned on a post here as to why the HKC equipment was the choice of the nixer brigade.
    I am not at all referring to yourself, you will not be prosecuted as you installed it yourself on your own home, same with the CCTV.
    By all means send whatever form they sent you back to them and mention exactly what you posted here, you will be ok.
    Nice to see the PSA are doing some work in this sector

Amazing how they pounce here, but seem to do a lot less when they are sent solid information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭kub

KoolKid wrote: »
    Amazing how they pounce here, but seem to do a lot less when they are sent solid information.

I wonder have they woken up and realised that none PSA registered installers tend to put up blank Mark 3 HKC bell boxes ( which incidentally were introduced to market after PSA was) and basically it is a fact that is rubbed in our faces when we look up and see these blank boxes and think of all the money we pay to PSA.

Advertisement