Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen goods query

Options
  • 18-04-2010 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭

I hope this is the right forum.

My house was broken into and among things that were stolen was a bag with brand new clothes, I left the receipt in the bag so there's a chance whoever stole them may exchange them for money back. If I go to the store and ask if anyone has brought back the items will they check or tell me to feck off? I know exactly what was in the bag and they're still in the store. I don't know what policy would be on something like this..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Honestly, unless it's a very small shop and they're very unique items, the likelihood of anyone remembering will be slim to none. If someone did remember, and could pinpoint the time, you could let the gardaí know and they might be able to check the CCTV if there is any.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭mumof3angels

They would not be able to do a thing cause how could you prove that they were yours and not theres sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭punkindrublic

Well if they return the items don't they have to sign a form? Any time I get a refund/exchange i am usually asked to,
    which is why I was hoping they could trace them through that! I suppose I'll just have to ask and see. If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated..

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Goldenquick

You could ring the store and have tell them what happened, but honestly, I don't think they can do anything. Perhaps they will do something out of goodwill though!

You could ring the store and have tell them what happened, but honestly, I don't think they can do anything. Perhaps they will do something out of goodwill though!

Yeah I might call in tomorrow and ask. I don't expect the store to give me new items or anything, just want to trace the a$$hole who took them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Well if they return the items don't they have to sign a form? Any time I get a refund/exchange i am usually asked to,
    which is why I was hoping they could trace them through that! I suppose I'll just have to ask and see. If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated..
    Those are usually only in big shops, and are generally there as a crude way of stopping staff theft. While it's possible a thief might give their real details, if I was going to go to the trouble of breaking into someone's house, stealing their stuff, finding the shop to return things to, I'd probably go to the extra bit of effort of making up a name and address.

Thoie wrote: »
    Those are usually only in big shops, and are generally there as a crude way of stopping staff theft. While it's possible a thief might give their real details, if I was going to go to the trouble of breaking into someone's house, stealing their stuff, finding the shop to return things to, I'd probably go to the extra bit of effort of making up a name and address.

It was a large store (topshop) but I suppose you're right the chances of them using their real details are very slim. Looks like I'm screwed!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Did you pay for the clothes with a card or with cash?

If its with a card then more than likely the person won't be able to get money for them as card transactions would be refunded back onto the card.

If it was with cash, then the shop will more than likely have a copy of the receipt that was brought back in for the refund, so if you can remember the date and time etc, they may be able to link your original receipt to a specific refund.

Worth a shot, but ask to speak to the manager as the counter staff would probably not have access to all the receipts etc now, as they would be removed from the till at the end of shifts.

Advertisement