Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top 5 Best/Worst Transfers This Season

• 18-04-2010 3:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭

5 Best

1. Niko Kranjcar at 2.5 million absolute snip has scored some very important goals for Spurs this season. Misses the remaining games after being injured in the FA Cup Semi Final.

2. Valencia his ability to provide pin point crosses to Rooney and his new heading ability they have combined brilliantly on numerous occasions.

3. Thomas Vermaleen shown excellent ability all season has been the one constent in the Arsenal defense.

4. Richard Dunne has been mamoth at the back for Villa and gotten at a very good price has performed considerable better then his replacement at the City of Manchester Stadium.

5. Darren Bent a big money signing that Steve Bruce got bang on.

5 Worst

1. Jason Scotland yet to score for Wigan and has missed a lot of "easy" chances.

2.Mido at 1,000 a week it's still to much for the man who's failed to make any impact on his return to the premier league.

3. I'm going to roll Aquilani and Santa Cruz for missing Large chunks of the season due to injury this one more contentious inclusion is mainly due to the lack of value the players represent in the transfer market due to there high fees and relatively low appearences in the League.

4.Joleen Lescott has not lived up to his billing at City this season with some poor performances and injury plaguing his season has been restricted to just 19 appearences this season.

5. Stefan Maierhofer restricted to 8 appearences and 180 minutes for Wolves before being moved on had no real effect on the team.

Hounerable Mentions to Lee Catermole, Tevez, Cana, Steven Hunt and Adam Johnson, Roger Johnson all just marginally missed out on best buys.

Was going to include Glenn Johnson in the number 3 of worst buys but 23 appearences isn't too bad.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Agree with most of list. Hugo Rodellaga deserves a mention and Stephen Carr has been brilliant for a free transfer. He'd be in my top 5

Edit Hugo has been there 2 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Michael Owen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Agree with most of list. Hugo Rodellaga deserves a mention and Stephen Carr has been brilliant for a free transfer. He'd be in my top 5
    Both where signed last season tho ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Aqualani for £20m has to be the worse transfer of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Roger Johnson has to be in the "Best" pile, along with Richard Dunne

/cough, shameless plug http://backpagefootball.com/columnists/off-the-cuff-2/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

heh! I wondered how long it would be for Aqualini to get a name-check!

In terms of this season then I'd agree.
    5. Stefan Maierhofer restricted to 8 appearences and 180 minutes for Wolves before being moved on had no real effect on the team.

Got a hernia injury and never had the chance to recover from it really.

mike65 wrote: »
    In terms of this season then I'd agree.

It's right there in the thread title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Roger Johnson has to be in the "Best" pile, along with Richard Dunne

/cough, shameless plug http://backpagefootball.com/columnists/off-the-cuff-2/
    Haha Johnson and Toure the only ones I didn't have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Our own Damien Duff has been a brilliant signing for Fulham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Heitinga has to be one of the best transfers of the season. £6m is looking a steal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Des wrote: »
    It's right there in the thread title

Just making the point that players are usually bought for the medium (even long) term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

Adam Johnson is one of the best buys this season, in great form and a real talent for the future.

Haha Johnson and Toure the only ones I didn't have
    When I read your post the first time Dunne blew completely over my head. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Alessandro Diamanti was a t'riffic signing for about £7m,Niko Krancjar has to be the best signing this season though.

Has Diamanti really been worth that £7m though? He's scord 7 league goals, most of which from the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

James McCarthy has been a very good signing for Wigan imo, Kyriagos for Liverpool has been decent too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Tevez? Expensive but looks worth the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

All big money signings that flopped so far.
    Aqualani
    Zhirkov
    Downing
    Santa Cruz
    Lescott

Good signings.

Dunne
    Vermaalen
    Tevez
    Duff
    Hart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Tevez has been worth it alright.

Agree with Duff as well, Donevan wasn't bad for a short term loan, Dunne too.

Doyle's been one of the main reasons Wolves are going to stay up but his goals tally won't get him all the recognition he deserves.

Vermalen. Having a brain freeze about more names..

EDIT: I second Bent actually.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Esse85 wrote: »
    All big money signings that flopped so far.
    Aqualani
    Zhirkov
    Downing
    Santa Cruz
    Lescott

Good signings.

Dunne
    Vermaalen
    Tevez
    Duff
    Hart

What conclusion brings you to Zhirkov being a flop? Took him the first half of the season to get over his knee injury and since then has been solid at the back and has looked dangerous going forward. Deputised well for Ashley Cole and has been linking very well with Malouda on the left.

Might not have been the greatest debut seasons but I'd put that down to injuries. Certainly not a flop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

1. Kevin Doyle has been outstanding for Wolves and is the main reason why they will survive this season. Only scored 7 goals but it's his all round game that allows Wolves to keep the ball at the right end of the pitch.

2. Within weeks of the start of the season it was plain to see what an error in judgement it was for Mark Hughes to let Richard Dunne go. Ultimately it cost him his job.

3. Darren Bent has gone a long way to paying back the £10 million invested in him. 23 goals so far.

4. Best bit of business that McLeish at birmingham did was getting Joe Hart on loan from Man. city for the season. Top class keeper. The type Wenger can only dream of atm.

5. Whether he is "value for money" or not I'm not sure but on the pitch Tevez is Man City's main man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

1. Jason Scotland yet to score for Wigan and has missed a lot of "easy" chances.
    He got his first one just there last week against Fulham.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/8599455.stm

Also, I don't know what people were expecting for him. He only cost £2million and all his previous goals came at a lower level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Tevez? Expensive but looks worth the money.

Tevez should be number one in all fairness, if City take 4th he'll be the main reason. Even for the money they paid he's been a very good signing, especially when you take into account the fact money is no object for City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Best Buys:

Vermaelen - Arsenal
    Hart - Birmingham
    N’Zonzi - Blackburn
    Duff - Fulhan
    Tevez - Man City
    Valencia - Man Utd
    Cattermole - Sunderland
    Bent - Sunderland
    Kranjcar - Spurs
    Doyle - Wolves

Worst Buys:

Aquilani - Liverpool
    Santa Cruz - Man City
    Scotland - Wigan
    Zaki - Hull
    McCarthy - West Ham
    Mido - West Ham

Honerable Mentions for Best:

Bowyer - Birmingham
    Kyrgiakos - Liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

While Aqualani has been a bad buy this season Im hoping he will stay. Last two times he has started he has been very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Pretty sure Jason Scotland has scored for Wigan in Premier League.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Has Diamanti really been worth that £7m though? He's scord 7 league goals, most of which from the spot.

Yes he has.
    I remember watching him when we played Chelsea and Arsenal at home,for example.
    He was the one play always trying to get on the ball and always pumping balls (good one at that) up to Cole....I think he's really driven the team.
    Took a while to get settled but he's been quality in the past 2 months or so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Best:

Hart
    Vermalen
    Campbell
    Tevez
    Bent

Worst:

Aquilani
    Lescott

Can't think of anyone else thats been really really bad, maybe because theyre not getting a game :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

Vermaelan is hardly a good defender in fairness. For the whole season I've constantly felt arsenal would always concede in every game home or away.

Could Adebayor be included in the worst possible transfers of all time? What a donkey.

Selling Kolo Toure was some great business by Arsenal too.

Valencia looks a good signing after his settling in period which seems to have really been encouraged by good Nani form mid season putting a challenge to him.

Nigel de Jong was a good signing last year, really looked good all year. N'zogbia another january 09 signing who proved his worth this year.

Bilyaletdinov not a bad player, nothing great but a decent signing.

Altidore could be good in future.

Adam Johnson looks very very good.

Jamie O'Hara and Kevin Prince Boateng are good players and had good seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

EI111 wrote: »

Could Adebayor be included in the worst possible transfers of all time? What a donkey.

How do you think that!? 13 goals and 3 assists in 26 games is hardly a horrible return,considering what happened to hin at the ACN? Fair enough 25mil is alot and his actions against Arsenal were horrible,but hardly one of the "Worst possible transfers of all time" in fairness
    He got his first one just there last week against Fulham.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/8599455.stm

Also, I don't know what people were expecting for him. He only cost £2million and all his previous goals came at a lower level.

Alot more then 1 goal in 29 appearances surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Best:

Tevez
    Bent
    Hart
    Cattermole
    Dunne
    Valencia
    Vermaelen

Worst:
    Barry- seriously. How is he keeping Ireland out of the team.
    Ade- Flop, refuses to pass the ball
    Aqualini
    Manchini
    C Benitez
    Jamie O Hara

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Best:

Tevez
    Bent
    Hart
    Cattermole
    Dunne
    Valencia
    Vermaelen

Worst:
    Barry- seriously. How is he keeping Ireland out of the team.
    Ade- Flop, refuses to pass the ball
    Aqualini
    Manchini
    C Benitez
    Jamie O Hara

I'm confused wasnt O'Hara brilliant for Portsmouth (atleast by Pompey's 09/10 standards) and is only there on loan so cost nothing? id have him in the best not worst section if he had to be in one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

I'm confused wasnt O'Hara brilliant for Portsmouth (atleast by Pompey's 09/10 standards) and is only there on loan so cost nothing? id have him in the best not worst section if he had to be in one.

yeah hes had a good season,wouldnt put him in the worst category,where did ya get that assumption from mr incognito?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

anplaya wrote: »
    yeah hes had a good season,wouldnt put him in the worst category,where did ya get that assumption from mr incognito?

I 2nd/3rd that, I think he's had a decent season, considering he's at portsmouth, the sinking ship

O'Hara in the worst list?

gtfo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

EI111 wrote: »
    Vermaelan is hardly a good defender in fairness. For the whole season I've constantly felt arsenal would always concede in every game home or away.

Maybe that's due to the terrible goalkeeper ? Or the wing backs that are always caught out of position ? Or the fact the Vermaelaan never has a solid partner beside him due to injuries etc ?

He's been everything a team would want in a defender. Pure class at defending. Pitty he's the only one in the team with those capabilities. If he played alongside someone like Vidic you'd see how good he really is.

/My biased opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

x PyRo wrote: »
    Maybe that's due to the terrible goalkeeper ? Or the wing backs that are always caught out of position ? Or the fact the Vermaelaan never has a solid partner beside him due to injuries etc ?

He's been everything a team would want in a defender. Pure class at defending. Pitty he's the only one in the team with those capabilities. If he played alongside someone like Vidic you'd see how good he really is.

/My biased opinion.

I actually think Gallas is the best defender Arsenal have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Best:

Vermaelen
    Dunne
    Tevez
    Valencia
    Bent

Worst:
    Mido (by a mile)
    Aquilani
    Santa Cruz
    McCarthy (i can't believe i suggested him for Liverpool at one point)
    Zaki

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Ush1 wrote: »
    I actually think Gallas is the best defender Arsenal have.

Gallas needs someone that's big and strong beside him, someone to dominate the air. Doesn't have that i'm afraid! He was class for us this season though. Completely different to when he was captain. Vermaelen (His name is spelt so many ways i don't know which is right!) is a class act though. Goes on these pointless runs upfield at times and get caught out but that's his only fault for me. Gallas will leave at the end of the season i'd say so if we get in a very tall, aerially dominant partner for him he'll be even better next year in my opinion.

SlickRic wrote: »

Worst:
    Mido (by a mile)
    Aquilani
    Santa Cruz
    McCarthy (i can't believe i suggested him for Liverpool at one point)
    Zaki

Agree with that,Mido and McCarthy were silly signings.
    West Ham now have plenty of strikers but only one good one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement