Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Email format change when sent

• 18-04-2010 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭

Could someone please advise me on this problem?

When I send an email, the formatting gets changed, firstly in my sent box, and then worse so in the version that comes back to me in replies. For example, my sent email loses bold, italic and underlining, and the layout gets distorted. Inserted tables etc. are also lost.

I find this very frustrating, as I am very fussy about formatting in everything I write. It is also very embarrassing, as my sent emails then give the impression of total amateur incompetence.

Is there any way to solve this problem?

Thanks,

The Raven.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

Make sure you sent the emails as HTML and not plain text to keep the formatting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Make sure you sent the emails as HTML and not plain text to keep the formatting

Thanks for that advice. I thought I did, but it may have gotten turned off. I will check that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

It also depends on the settings the recipient has set up - they can opt to receive emails in plain text only. If you have a document with nice tables and perfect formatting, maybe you could send it as a Word attachment?

Well I checked my settings and my emails are HTML, so it's not that.
    Domscard wrote: »
    It also depends on the settings the recipient has set up - they can opt to receive emails in plain text only. If you have a document with nice tables and perfect formatting, maybe you could send it as a Word attachment?

Thanks for your reply. I was aware of other peoples' settings, but the formatting changed when it went to my outbox, but not as bad as the one in the reply. I did end up sending the email again as an attachment.

I was wondering if there is any way to lock my formatting so that it didn't change when sent, or is that expecting miracles? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The rendering engines which display messages in email clients are notoriously bad, old and inconsistent. The fact that the display changed the version in your outbox indicates just how bad they are. If you get more than a few newsletters you'll notice that the most of them have something broken in them, from images not displaying, to content starting halfway down pages, to dodgy layouts... Unfortunately, there's pretty much nothing you can do about it as you just can't control recipients' clients. WYSIWYG just doesn't work. Unless you know how to write what would be normally considered outdated html in emails without using a visual editor, your best bet for best control is sending in plain text.

• Advertisement

tricky D wrote: »
    The rendering engines which display messages in email clients are notoriously bad, old and inconsistent. The fact that the display changed the version in your outbox indicates just how bad they are. If you get more than a few newsletters you'll notice that the most of them have something broken in them, from images not displaying, to content starting halfway down pages, to dodgy layouts... Unfortunately, there's pretty much nothing you can do about it as you just can't control recipients' clients. WYSIWYG just doesn't work. Unless you know how to write what would be normally considered outdated html in emails without using a visual editor, your best bet for best control is sending in plain text.

Thanks, tricky D. I totally agree. With all the unnecessary and often bad updates of programs, one would think they could fix something as important as this. I'm not sure about plain text. I think I tried it and discarded it in the past. I will try it again and see what happens.

For the moment, I think my best bet is to keep my emails as normal and, if I have to include things like tables etc. then I will send them as attachments.

Advertisement