Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows has detected an IP address conflict - ?

• 18-04-2010 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

My broadband gets cut off alot recently. The internet connection is still connected when i check the settings. However, when i browse, i get the usual windows OFFLINE screen in Mozilla. I am with BT Ireland/Vodafone.

Then a minute later i get the following message in a small Windows box:

Windows has detected an IP address conflict
    Another computer on this network has the same IP address as this computer.

It also advises me to contact my service provider to solve the problem (which i haven't done yet)

It then mysteriously works fine about 10 minutes later. Starting to get annoying though.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Either you or someone else has put their computers network settings to a static up address.

So, say you log on. Your computer is automatically given the free ip address from your modem of 192.168.1.254.

Other computer turns on later. It has a static ip address of 192.168.1.254. Conflict is detected by windows as both cannot connect to the modem.

Set your stuff to both dhcp or static, or change the static one to something higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

MarkR wrote: »
    Either you or someone else has put their computers network settings to a static up address.

So, say you log on. Your computer is automatically given the free ip address from your modem of 192.168.1.254.

Other computer turns on later. It has a static ip address of 192.168.1.254. Conflict is detected by windows as both cannot connect to the modem.

Set your stuff to both dhcp or static, or change the static one to something higher.

There are two other laptops feeding off the router and my brother uses that xBox yoke which connects to it also.

Anyway, how do i do the solution you gave me? :D i am not exactly a wizz kid on pc things.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Tech wizardry not needed, you just need to know where you look.

This shows step by step how to set up dhcp on a windows xp computer.

Your modem will start giving out addresses like 192.168.1.1, followed by 192.168.1.2 etc.

Sometimes people give xbox 360's static ip addresses to make it easier for them to get online and play with other people. This is fine, just make sure to use a static ip address that won't have been given out automatically earlier!

This link shows you how to set up a static ip address on the xbox 360. You can try something like 192.168.1.100

I still haven't got the ip thing sorted.

I have the following options available on the Vista laptop.

Use the following IP address
    1. IP Address
    2. Subnet Mask
    3. Default Gateway

Use the following DNS server address
    1. Prefered DNS server
    2. Alternate DNS server

What exactly numbers do i use in those boxes?
    I have tried some, but my internet connection gets cut to local access only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

On the laptops make it look like this and reboot them after
    dhcp.jpg

• Advertisement

That is what it was at, but there seems to be a conflict, probably with my brothers X-Box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Check everything in the house and make sure it's using dhcp.
    For the xbox try this

Check everything in the house and make sure it's using dhcp.
    For the xbox try this

Changed the settings to the values on the xbox link and bingo.

Thanks for the help above.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

MarkR wrote: »
    Tech wizardry not needed, you just need to know where you look.
    This shows step by step how to set up dhcp on a windows xp computer.

Thanks,this also was of great help to me,helped fix a problem I was having
    with my 3Ireland Hauwei E5830.Wasn't the only problem,but it was the one I got stuck on.

Advertisement