Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TTC & anti depressants

Options
  • 18-04-2010 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am on anti depressants long term- i have indigenous depression which basically means I have some depression symptoms based on a hormonal imbalance that is not provoked by anything outside of my body. Because of this, my depression is very easily treated with medication. On the bad side, it means that if i stop taking them for conception and pregnancy my symptoms may return.

I am wondering if anyone has been faced with the decision of taking/not taking anti depressants during pregnancy, and if you have carried a pregnancy while taking anti depressants. I have been researching it and there are mixed messages between scientific findings and personal experiences. I will be going through the medical aspect of this with my GP but I am hoping people who have been through this before can help and give me some notes of experience or advice...

thanks so much in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

Firstly, I am not a trained medical professional, nor do I personally take anti-depressants.
    My best friend suffered from depression and decided to come off her medication when she got pregnant(suprise baby, not planned). She told her mid wives and they kept a very close eye on her throughout the pregnancy and especially after the birth (incresed risk of post-natal depression). She stayed off the meds for the 8 weeks after the birth to BF. She did have some "baby blues" two/three days after the birth, made worse by the worry she was becoming depressed but she managed to struggle through. She has said that her daughter was totoally worth it x 1,000,000.
    The only other thing I would say is to try some alternative therapies while pregnant. I just went to a fertility/pregnancy/post-partum evening held by three alternative healers(yoga/homeopathy/herbologist) and they all said they had exercises/herbs etc to help alleviate most pregnancy/hormonal symptoms.
    Good luck:)

Advertisement