Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need some help plz

• 18-04-2010 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭

If production function q=K^0.75L^0.25, K is fixed at 50 per unit rental rate of K is r=2 while per unit wage rate is w=5. how do I calculate short run total, average (sac) and marginal (smc) cost curves. Im driving myself mad all i need is the functions plz help Im trying to work them out put have constant mcs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

ontour wrote: »
    If production function q=K^0.75L^0.25, K is fixed at 50 per unit rental rate of K is r=2 while per unit wage rate is w=5. how do I calculate short run total, average (sac) and marginal (smc) cost curves. Im driving myself mad all i need is the functions plz help Im trying to work them out put have constant mcs

I'm not sure what level you are at, but does the word Lagrangian sound familiar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

No I'm sorry it doesn't I'm in first year uni lost with just how to figure this one out

ontour wrote: »
    No I'm sorry it doesn't I'm in first year uni lost with just how to figure this one out

[latex]
    Q = K^{^3/_4}L^{^1/4_}
    [/latex]

[latex]
    \frac{Q^4}{K^{7/4}} = L
    [/latex]

[latex]
    TC = rK+wL
    [/latex]

[latex]
    TC = rK+w(\frac{Q^4}{K^{7/4}})
    [/latex]

[latex]
    K = 50, r = 2, w = 5
    [/latex]

[latex]
    TC = 100+\frac{Q^4}{188}
    [/latex]

[latex]
    VC = \frac{Q^4}{188}
    [/latex]

[latex]
    MC = dvc/dq = \frac{4Q^3}{188}
    [/latex]

[latex]
    AC = VC/Q = \frac{4Q^2}{188}
    [/latex]

I'm not sure about the AC calculation, go look it up in your notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Just on the AC, I think it should be
    [latex]
    \displaystyle AC = \frac{TC}{Q} = \frac{100}{Q} + \frac{Q^{4}}{Q} \cdot \frac{1}{188} = \frac{100}{Q} + \frac{Q^{3}}{188}
    [/latex]

Your both absolute stars thank you. Just one last question where doers the 188 come from? Thanks again to both of yis i've been pullin out my hair!

• Advertisement

Just plug in all the values from the fifth line.

When I do that i get tc=100+5Q/500^7/4 maybe I am plugging them in wrong? Thanks again for all your help

Firstly, K = 50. Ok, so you are left with 50^7/4 = 940 (when rounded to zero decimal places).

Then you have 5Q/940 = Q/188

Advertisement