Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kitchen floor bumpy - is it too late to level it?

• 18-04-2010 4:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

When the kitchen was being extended, the builder left it as was and told us to put down some liquid to level the cement floor. Well between the jigs and the reels we forgot about it and had the kitchen fitted and vinyl put down. The vinyl extends wall-to-wall as the appliances weren't fitted.

But......the problem is that the floor is not level, it's just really bumpy with the vinyl on the raw concrete. And we can't take the vinyl up without taking all the cupboards off as they're resting on the vinyl. Is it too late to level it now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

can you take off the kick boards and cut the vinyl where it cant be seen and lift it. when putting it back down use some glue along the edges where it was cut to keep it in place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Having levelled my kitchen floor with latex based self levelling compound, I would say that it is too late. It really would be best to take the cupboards out and remove the vinyl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

As indiearmada says. You'll have to shave a little off your kickboards to take account of the slightly raised floor. Note that self-levelling compounds take up small undulations in your floor. If needing to level a very uneven floor make sure the levelling compound is suitable for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You dont need to take the cupboards out normally but people dont normally lay lino under them.

The lino will have to come up. The easiest way is ajust the 2 back legs of the units out and then drop them back and adjust the 2 front legs and drop them back.

The side of the kitchen usually is independent of the presses unless it a larder.

When you have it up a laytex compound will need to be applied.

I dont know how bad the bumps are but they do eventually start to make impressionsion on the lino... So it will need to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

They're pretty bad - puddles on the floor after it's washed which all need to be dried/soaked up by hand as they're too deep to dry by themselves. It all sounds quite expensive. Will check for cupboard legs as I'd assumed the kickboard is what the cupboards rest on. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

usually the kickboad is attached to the legs that support the weight of the units. its not load bearing, just a decorative panel to hide the underneath of the units. in some cases around integrated appliences the kick board might be fixed with angle brackets or fixed from behind.
    if just fixed using the clips its usually easy to remove and put back. there is probably a specific tool but i just use a coat hanger bent into an L to hook behind it and pull it forward.

Advertisement