Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inter -v- Barca, Champions League Semi-final 1st leg

• 18-04-2010 4:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

UEFA Champions League
    Semi-final 1st Leg
    th_1135-12.png34tai46.pngth_1708-15.png
    Stadio Giuseppe Meazza
    Tuesday, 20 April 2010
    7:45pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I can see Inter causing an upset in this one. I suspect the winner of this tie will win the tournament also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Bon Voyage

2010-04-18_VIAJE_15.JPG

2010-04-18_VIAJE_03.JPG

2010-04-18_VIAJE_07.JPG

2010-04-18_VIAJE_12.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

they going by sleeper train?

they going by sleeper train?

Travelling the whole 1000km via bus!

redout wrote: »
    Travelling the whole 1000km via bus!

By bus? With only one day to recover? Fair ****s, but I wouldn't be putting any money on them to get anything at the San Siro!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

This will be a great game. Not for the football (I can see Inter parking the bus, Barca trying in vain to burn her out!), but for the tactics. The wily and experienced Mourinho, versus the gifted and youthful Guardiola. How will both sides play? I personally cannot wait to see this game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Was gonna go for an easy Barca win, but I'm not so sure now, I'll say scrappy 1-0 to Inter.

1000kms by bus? Wow.

Go for a score draw 1-1, or Barca 1-0

Barca have arrived in Milan.

Some pics along the way

"the Haribo kid"
    26814851.jpg

21045993.jpg

30823144.jpg

78709253.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Thats some trip, Im going say 1 - 1 but a very good game at that.

Can see Barcelona trying to batter Inter like they did to Arsenal and in fairness they try against all teams, and Inter catching them and scoring 1st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Looks like a sh1t stag party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Last game between these 2 at San Siro this season was pretty ****e. 2-1 Inter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I can't see Barcelona parking the bus in Milan though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

I predict a 2-2 draw with Inter scoring first. Fairly tight match with Inter sitting back and trying to counter Barca.

The Milito, Sneijder and Eto'o combo up front will give Barca trouble to be honest, so much pace :(

Busquests or Toure (which ever starts as DM) will have a difficult task tomorrow.
    Hope pep starts Ibra, Messi and Pedro up front, Pedro's pace will be vital tomorrow.

Also will be interesting to see if "the special one" decides to double mark Xavi now that Iniesta is absent (Espanyol did it to great effect @ the weekend)..

I expect this tie to be a very physical one too, not the flowing type of football that suits Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I fancy Barca to go through but I think this first leg could be tricky for them. I'd say it will be a draw. I agree with DazMarz that the tactics involved in this game make it fascinating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

come on inter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

2010-04-18_VIAJE_12.JPG
    Guardiola not in a 3-piece suit :eek:

Also, is that Valdes in the car-park picture where Xavi's texting? He looks like a monster there (though Wiki says he's 6ft which would be about what I thought).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

0-0 or Barca win tomorrow night IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Barca to win comfortably, like they always do when the slightest bit of doubt is placed on them. Messi Messi Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It was no ordinary day at the Ambrussum service station just off the A9 heading through Nimes in southern France on Sunday when a certain Leo Messi ambled up to the bar, dropped his shoulder to swerve past a couple of long-distance lorry drivers and ordered a cafe au lait.
    Messi and his Barcelona team-mates stopped off at the roadside cafe between Montpellier and Marseilles en route to Cannes on the first leg of their 620-mile coach trip to Milan for tonight's Champions League semi-final first leg against Internazionale.

"Gudjohnsen has really done it to us this time," joked one player boarding the 3pm team bus out of Barcelona on Sunday in reference to the Icelandic volcano that meant Barça's trip to Italy had to be brought forward almost 24 hours depriving the players of a day with their families after Saturday night's hard-fought goalless draw against Espanyol.
    Barcelona's 20-man squad boarded one 38-seater coach accompanied by club doctor Ricard Pruma and director Rafa Yuste, while Pep Guardiola and his assistant, Tito Vilanova, were joined by various members of the club's technical and administrative staff in a second coach.
    Chaotic traffic jams in Montpellier turned what should have been a six-hour journey into one of eight hours but armed with iPods and dressed in club tracksuits as opposed to the business suits usually worn for Champions League trips the players arrived in Cannes at 10.30pm on Sunday night before setting off again yesterday morning to complete the second leg of their journey.
    On the players' coach, Al Pacino's American Football film Any Given Sunday topped the cinema bill that also included the Clint Eastwood-directed Invictus. And after the highly motivational tales of winning against all odds came something a little lighter, Spanish pin-up Paz Vega in Juan Calvo's comedy Di que sí.
    While his players enjoyed the work of Morgan Freeman and Cameron Diaz, Guardiola only had eyes for the performances of Walter Samuel and Esteban Cambiasso. The Barça coach spent most of the journey watching videos of Inter games this season.
    Guardiola had likened the trip to those he endured the season before taking over as first-team coach at Barcelona. As manager of the "B" team he shared many a bus journey with his players en route to winning the third division title. Though none would have involved stopping off at a €14,000-a-night hotel, that being the price of the Royal Suite at the Hotel Martinez in Cannes where the Barça squad broke up their two-day journey before arriving in Milan yesterday afternoon.
    The Newcastle team undertook a similar journey yesterday, although perhaps with a slightly less glamourous destination – Plymouth – for last night's Championship match. They set off early in the morning for the seven-hour, 409-mile trip.

""Gudjohnsen has really done it to us this time" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'd say a comfortable for Barca 1-1. Would like Ibra to get the goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Lot of people saying draw...9-4...should we all get on??

Training pics from the San Siro

2010-04-19_ENTRENO_09.JPG

2010-04-19_ENTRENO_08.JPG

2010-04-19_ENTRENO_18.JPG

2010-04-19_ENTRENO_13.JPG

98547384.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F532F3F6EC144873E2603FC36CA9C46DEC6099C29496E3C55D

98549872.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F55B3282A452887F0D53A27255939AA0CD3D6A626AD44BFDD8

98547355.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F57436E46BFEFF3E4D603FC36CA9C46DEC5E5F085830D89EA6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'm gonna go with 1-2.

Milito to score early with a Xavi and Messi masterclass producing goals for Messi and Ibra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Pique's doing his Henry impressions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Inter havent lost at homes in yonks. Barca havent lost away in champions league. Are we in all probability looking at another 0-0 here?

Frisbee wrote: »
    I'm gonna go with 1-2.

Milito to score early with a Xavi and Messi masterclass producing goals for Messi and Ibra.

Which one :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Im gonna put my money on Inter.

Inter for me too, José will have learned from the group stages.

• Advertisement

The draw for me. maybe 1-1

I can see Inter causing an upset in this one. I suspect the winner of this tie will win the tournament also.
    baz2009 wrote: »
    Was gonna go for an easy Barca win, but I'm not so sure now, I'll say scrappy 1-0 to Inter.
    IvySlayer wrote: »
    Last game between these 2 at San Siro this season was pretty ****e. 2-1 Inter.
    Headshot wrote: »
    come on inter
    Im gonna put my money on Inter.

I dont understand everyone going for Inter.

Honestly cant see Barca losing this match.

A far superior team and should prove it over 2 legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

That suggests you reckon Barca have gone backwards since the group stages?
    Inter are not in the form of their lives at the moment, and aside from the blip on Saturday against perenial spoilers Espanyol, Barca are arguably in their best form of the season.

All that said, I reckon 1-1

Inters home record under Jose is Phenomenal.

gimmick wrote: »
    Inter are not in the form of their lives at the moment, and aside from the blip on Saturday against perenial spoilers Espanyol, Barca are arguably in their best form of the season.

All that said, I reckon 1-1

Won't be suprised at all if Inter win nothing this year.

Inters home record under Jose is Phenomenal.

Mourinho has played them both home and away already this season and couldnt score once and never looked a threat. First game 0-0 was like watching paint dry and the 2-0 at Camp Nou was dominated by Barca. I think people have let Inter's victory over Chelsea go to their heads to be honest. Had they played a decent side in the quarters they would have struggled. I am supremely confident that Barca not Inter will be in Madrid come May 22.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Based on the last few seasons, Maureen is content to play for a 0-0 in the 1st leg if it's at home, even when they enter the tie as a favourite. So, I can't see him attacking Barcelona with any real enthusiasm. They'll be hoping for a goal from a set-piece, or they'll settle for the 0-0.

Barca would probably settle for that too, so they might keep their powder dry for the Nou Camp.

Inter
    Out: Davide Santon (knee), Francesco Toldo (leg)
    Doubtful: none
    Suspended: none
    Misses next match if booked: Walter Samuel, Maicon, Javier Zanetti, Dejan Stanković

• Santon is out until the end of the month after knee surgery.

Barcelona
    Out: Andrés Iniesta(right thigh)
    Doubtful: none
    Suspended: none
    Misses next match if booked: Carles Puyol

• Zlatan Ibrahimović returned from a calf problem to face RCD Espanyol on Saturday and Eric Abidal has recovered from a groin tear.

TV3 coverage. *slits wrists*

No, it suggests that I fancy Mourinho to have learned enough about their style of play from their past meetings this season. As good as Barca have been this season, they have not been the unstoppable force they were last. They have vulnerabilities (remember how easy Walcott kept getting in behind?) and I'd fancy Inter should be capable of exploiting them at home.

Not to mention I think travel weariness could affect the performances tomorrow. Spending hours on a bus two days in a row can be very draining, leaves muscles tighter and can mess with circulation. An outcome similar to the first leg against Arsenal (dominate for an hour then fade away) is a strong possibility.

Still think Barca will come good over the two legs, but I think Inter will win the match tonight. 2-1 perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Jose will have a game plan going into this. Can't wait to see the special ones starting 11. You can be damn sure Messi is being man marked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Barcelona

Misses next match if booked: Carles Puyol

That pisses me off no end.

I would almost be happy if he got booked tonight, so if Barca do progress, there is the possiblilty of the embodiment of Barcelona lifting the trophy for a 3rd time, which would not be bad for a second rate defender :rolleyes:.

That said, progress without him would not be too easy. He has been phenomenal this season.

That pisses me off no end.

lol, it's his fault for fouling so much. Dirty bunch that Barca are when they haven't the ball :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Bon Voyage

2010-04-18_VIAJE_15.JPG

2010-04-18_VIAJE_03.JPG

2010-04-18_VIAJE_07.JPG

2010-04-18_VIAJE_12.JPG
    Barca have arrived in Milan.

Some pics along the way

"the Haribo kid"
    26814851.jpg

21045993.jpg

30823144.jpg

78709253.jpg

Fair play redout! Great pictures. Something so normal about them.

Rumours are that Maicon might start on the right wing with Zanetti or Cordoba behind him.

I'd say either Cambiasso or Motta will be all over Messi like flies on ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Mourinho has played them both home and away already this season and couldnt score once and never looked a threat. First game 0-0 was like watching paint dry and the 2-0 at Camp Nou was dominated by Barca.

inter are a very different team to then though
    I think people have let Inter's victory over Chelsea go to their heads to be honest. Had they played a decent side in the quarters they would have struggled.

so chelsea arent a decent team now? how would you rank them?

2-1 to inter for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I would expect Mourinho to be a little bit cleverer than just sticking Cambiasso on Messi and saying "mark him".

If that's the extent of The Special One's tactical nous then Inter will be ripped apart over two legs and tbh it will move Jose down a fair bit in my estimation...

event wrote: »

2-1 to inter for me

Chelsea are good but they weren't decent that night, still can't believe how poor they were.

event wrote: »

2-1 to inter for me

I think you are confused. Inter did not play Chelsea in the quarter-finals. They played Chelsea in the last 16 and CSKA Moscow in the quarters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Ush1 wrote: »
    Rumours are that Maicon might start on the right wing with Zanetti or Cordoba behind him.
    He played there against Fiorentina in the Coppa Italia last week and it worked well, but Cordoba isn't good enough to play right back against Barca imo and I would prefer to see Zanetti in midfield and have him mark Xavi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Come back in about 10 hours ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement