Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inter -v- Barca, Champions League Semi-final 1st leg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Lads, let's not get too wound up in the whole penalty debate analysis. I always try to ignore those arguments if possible, sometimes things just don't go your way, and tonight Barca weren't good enough, even IF they were wrongfully denied a penalty. I just hope they can batter Inter at the Camp Nou.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

any news on Maicon ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

I have to say, I have been very critical of Eto'o this season but tonight he worked harder than anyone else and deserves a lot of praise. Fair play to Guardiola too, no excuses when a lot managers would have used the bus trip as one. I also think the refereeing was very bad too, but it wasn't all against Barca, there were a few decisions that went against Inter too and a few players got away with blatant dives before Alves was carded for what should have been a pen imo. This tie is far from over, Barca are well capable of turning it around so we shouldn't get complacent, here's hoping that next weeks game is as good as tonights(bit of bias about how good tonights game was, the result made it a great game for me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

PHB wrote: »
    This tie is far from over, without a doubt there's still a good chance for Barca to go through.

Agree 100% here.
    Frankly at this leve, I dont think losing Puyol is that big a deal personally. I think Barca's defence might be better for it.

Agree 100% again here.
    Anyone who thinks the ref gifted to them is frankly a fool.

Would disagree here. Two good penalty shouts. A foul on Messi leading up to the 2nd goal and Milito clearly offside for 3rd goal.

Inter deserved to win on the night but not 3-1.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

quarryman wrote: »
    Am i the only one who doesn't think it was a peno?

It looked like sneijder went out of his way to avoid making contact once Alves was past him and in the box.

I seen the replay and my reaction was the same, no peno.

agreed. posted same earlier. just offside for the goal, but very close, don't blame linesman. Great decision by ref on sneijder tackle, he never touched him imo (although no angle actually shows if he did or not imo). Pique charged into by Lucio was a peno imo though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Headshot wrote: »
    here we go blaming the bus journey

its never the home side totally nullifying barca and out playing them.....

god damn i hate barca fanboys

Tell us who the Barca fanboys are ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Seaneh wrote: »
    Alves dived, get over it. And then when he dived he looked like he had been shot and rolled around as if he'd broken his leg, second he gets the yellow he is laughing and sulking refusing to get up. Deserved yellow.

What are people on about - it was a clear penalty - Alves was caught from behind. Every single pundit on TV3 and Sky agreed it was a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

redout wrote: »
    Tell us who the Barca fanboys are ?

redout

pm if you want to know

it's top secret, a need to know basis :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

José's interview was pretty awesome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I don't really care if it was a peno, completely unbiased for the game.

But I'm surprised at the majority who reckon it was a penalty. Even Keown seemed convinced.
    It doesn't matter what he tried to do, he caught Alves...pen for me anyway!

Did he really make contact though? Its hard to tell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

eZe^ wrote: »
    I just hope they can batter Inter at the Camp Nou.

Its going to be a very tough task .
    Barca are well capable of getting two goals but the question is will they be able to keep a clean sheet against such a fast counter attack.
    The game is ideally set up for Inter and Mourinho's tactics .
    He will park the bus in front of the goal and Barca will have to play a very high line leaving lots of space for Eto and Milito to run into.
    Mourinho is a wily old dog and he did his homework to perfection tonight and sadly for Barca I dont think they will be going to Madrid next month .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Warper wrote: »
    What are people on about - it was a clear penalty - Alves was caught from behind. Every single pundit on TV3 and Sky agreed it was a penalty.

If there was contact fine, but the way alves reacted and tried to get a player sent off was a disgrace. Going down far too easily is just as bad as diving and acting the way he did is unacceptable. He only has himself to blame.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I don't think he made any contact with Alves. But I bet it would have been given at Camp Nou.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

If there was contact fine, but the way alves reacted and tried to get a player sent off was a disgrace. Going down far too easily is just as bad as diving and acting the way he did is unacceptable. He only has himself to blame.

This I agree with. I think there was contact but, he made too much of it so, it's probably his own fault that the pen wasn't given!

Ballotelli is italian

sorry. just saw starting there

And gets vitriolic abuse even from the Inter fans.

• Advertisement

Ibra has just been interviewed on Italian TV

he said:
    "Materazzi started attacking Balotelli in the tunnel in a way that i'd never seen in my life before..." then repeated what he said "if it had happened to me Materazzi would have gone down. I've never seen anything like it in my life. He is a boy of 20 years of age they should be celebrating"

Apparently Balotelli spat on the Inter jersey.

Sometimes I dont know if people are being serious or if its just a wind-up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Headshot wrote: »
    redout

pm if you want to know

it's top secret, a need to know basis :-D

lmao

mars bar wrote: »
    Good to hear a manager say it as it is and not looking for excuses, very few of them around these days.

Imagine if the shoe had been on the other foot!

Would the "Great One" have been so magnanimous in defeat?

he said:
    "Materazzi started attacking Balotelli in the tunnel in a way that i'd never seen in my life before..." then repeated what he said "if it had happened to me Materazzi would have gone down. I've never seen anything like it in my life. He is a boy of 20 years of age they should be celebrating"

WOW - I think too he was photographed wearing AC Milan gear recently or something

• Advertisement

he said:

Balotelli = Headbanger

Exactly the kind of player it's hilarious to watch at other clubs but you wouldn't want within a million miles of your own.

Himself and José disagreeing on something must be a sight to behold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Frisbee wrote: »
    José's interview was pretty awesome

What did he say ?

I heard that he threw the jersey to the ground alright but hadn't heard about that, he should be got rid of tbh, he has no respect for the club or the manager and they should give him to Arsenal(Wenger is apparently an admirer).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

he said:

trying to make sense of this. Why did Materazzi go after Balotelli?

Materazzi ain't the nicest person really is he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Who is the most overrated player in the world – Ibrahomvic or Daniel Alves?

What did he say ?

First of all when the commentator asked what he was expecting come May 22nd Jose hadn't a clue what that date was. (may have been taking the mick here)

Then he said if they lost to Barca he'd love Bayern to win because of Robben and van Gaal.

But if they got to the final he's rather play Lyon. Himself and the Dutch reporter then burst into laught and José sauntered off on his merry way.

Jigga wrote: »
    Who is the most overrated player in the world – Ibrahomvic or Daniel Alves?

Not sure, but I can guess the stupidest post in this thread!

What did he say ?

He was interviewed by a Dutch journo who asked him about Sneijder and he said he was crucial to them but he didnt want to talk about individuals, just the team.

He was then asked what he was doing on the 22nd of May (the CL final date). He replied "the 22nd of May, what?" acting as he if he didnt know what was on that date. He said he would be at the final or else watching it on TV. He hoped Bayern would be in the final and started complimenting his player Robben and his teacher Van Gaal.

Then as he was leaving he said laughing he hoped it would be Lyon.

Guess you just had to be there.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Not sure, but I can guess the stupidest post in this thread!
    You don't think they are overrated?

Ibrahimovic this season. 36 games, 20 goals including 4 from 9 in Europe.

Not a bad return considering he's had a lot of stupid niggling injuries.

Alves has been one of Barca's best players, maybe their second best after Messi.

Neither played well tonight but in fairness, who for Barca did?

No, I don't think either is over rated, but I think you haven't a notion what you are talking about to be honest.

• Advertisement

quarryman wrote: »
    trying to make sense of this. Why did Materazzi go after Balotelli?

Materazzi ain't the nicest person really is he?

Because Balotelli was intentionally showing disrespect to Inter by throwing the jersey to the ground on and spitting on it.

Because Balotelli was intentionally showing disrespect to Inter by throwing the jersey to the ground on and spitting on it.

Could have something to do with the fact that every time he plays, weather he scores a vrace or has a bad game, the fans are all over him every time he makes a mistake, the lad is 19 and one of the best young players in the world.

His own team mates have said to the press several times that the fans are being overly critical of him, Ibra said it a million time last season, Eto'o has said it a million times this season.

I'd take him at Milan in a heartbeat. him and Pato together would be amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

No he doesn't, a few weeks ago he was mentioning how Argentina will be super strong at the world cup with Messi and Alves bombing down the right flank. :D

and with Maradona at the helm, nothing can go wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Did he spit on the jersey, though? Do we know this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I didn't see that... That was BAD form... Jaysus...

I used to think Balotelli was a spoilt brat but after this I might change my opinion on him...:D

What Seaneh said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ah Balotelli, you big nutcase you.

shocked to hear that result; didn't see it, so can't comment. but it sets the second leg up to be absolutely epic.

I'd take him at Milan in a heartbeat. him and Pato together would be amazing.
    I would rather give him to any other club for free or let him rot than sell him to Milan, and thats not a bitterness against Milan but I just think that he would be happy to go there and after the disrespect he has shown the club and the manager on numerous occasions, he doesn't deserve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I still think Barca will get to final ya know. That away goal I think will see them trhough see them winning 2 or 3 nil at home

he said:

Materazzi is a scumbag.
    Frisbee wrote: »
    Balotelli = Headbanger

Exactly the kind of player it's hilarious to watch at other clubs but you wouldn't want within a million miles of your own.

Himself and José disagreeing on something must be a sight to behold.
    He must be quite special if he's still around, kind of like Anelka. Though tonight he looked like he couldn't give 2 ****s. He got well pissed off with the Inter fans. Most Italian fans are rabid, look at all the chicken fencing required.

dor83 wrote: »
    I would rather give him to any other club for free or let him rot than sell him to Milan, and thats not a bitterness against Milan but I just think that he would be happy to go there and after the disrespect he has shown the club and the manager on numerous occasions, he doesn't deserve it.

Last time we delt with you lot we got Pirlo for peanuts and the time before that we got Seedorf in exchange for Coco (Brocchi and Guly were traded too in there somewhere but they were squad players for both teams do im not counting them!). I reckon we wouldn't mind doing business with you lot again this summer.

We'll take Santon fella on your bench too...

Ibrahimovic this season. 36 games, 20 goals including 4 from 9 in Europe.

Not a bad return considering he's had a lot of stupid niggling injuries.

Alves has been one of Barca's best players, maybe their second best after Messi.

Neither played well tonight but in fairness, who for Barca did?

No, I don't think either is over rated, but I think you haven't a notion what you are talking about to be honest.
    Alves cost a ridiculous £28 million and can't defend to save his life plus his crossing is very inconsistent. Maicon is superior in every aspect of his game.

Ibrahimovic cost £40 million plus a superior striker in Eto'o in part exchange. Didn't score his first goal in 2010 until the middle of February. 20 goals isn't a great return considering the service he gets from Xavi and co. Messi has scored twice as many as him and he doesn't play in the central role.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Zanetti is now very close to surpassing or atleast matching Maldini as the greatest full back of all time.

He's a amazing player & not just for his age. I think he's the best fullback in the world at the moment.

Last time we delt with you lot we got Pirlo for peanuts and the time before that we got Seedorf in exchange for Coco (Brocchi and Guly were traded too in there somewhere but they were squad players for both teams do im not counting them!). I reckon we wouldn't mind doing business with you lot again this summer.
    You lot have done well with transfers from us and I wouldn't have minded selling Balotelli to you either but for the way he has treated the club, I reckon he is trying to force being sold to Milan.
    We'll take Santon fella on your bench too...
    I don't see that happening tbh, I reckon Maicon might be off this year and if he is Santon becomes first choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Alves cost a ridiculous £28 million and can't defend to save his life plus his crossing is very inconsistent. Maicon is superior in every aspect of his game.

Ibrahimovic cost £40 million plus a superior striker in Eto'o in part exchange. Didn't score his first goal in 2010 until the middle of February. 20 goals isn't a great return considering the service he gets from Xavi and co. Messi has scored twice as many as him and he doesn't play in the central role.

I agree that they over paid for Ibra, but he fills a role that they were lacking without him. They needed a strong central figure to hold up play and a target man for the long balls that even the mighty Barcelona play. He's done well considering it's his first season.

'Balotelli will be punished'
    Inter general manager Ernesto Paolillo has pledged to “punish” Mario Balotelli for his “terrible” disrespectful gesture.

The substitute bickered with Jose Mourinho, teammates and fans during tonight’s 3-1 Champions League semi-final win over Barcelona and eventually threw his shirt away at the final whistle.

“Balotelli’s gesture was terrible. Just terrible,” said Paolillo. “It is something we are going to have to discuss.

“Will he be punished? Absolutely, yes.”
    Nice little soap opera on the side.
    http://www.football-italia.net/apr20cc.html

Eto'o has scored less goals in more games for inter than Ibra has for Barca and has only scored 2 from 9 in europe so I don't know how you can claim he is superior.

Ibrahimovic is a much better central striker than Eto'o, they are very different players but if you can't see that Barca are better for having Ibra in the squad than they were with Eto'o then you're either deluded or you don't actually watch them a lot.

Ibra does so much more than just score goals, he brings other players into the game, he hold the ball up, he creates chances for other players, he wins the ball in the air, he comes very deep a lot of the time, his ball control and vision are as good as an AMC in europe and when he gets chances he takes them 99% of the time.

Eto'o is faster and he has great streaks of goals but he also has large barren spells and goes missing a lot of the time.

tdv123 wrote: »
    Zanetti is now very close to surpassing or atleast matching Maldini as the greatest full back of all time.

He's a amazing player & not just for his age. I think he's the best fullback in the world at the moment.

hey hey hey... don't go getting carried away, I don't think even Inter fans would say that!

You are right though, he is a beast. But so was Maldini 4 years ago and 3 years ago and even 2 years ago, hell, he did ok last year too!

LEAVE PAOLO ALONE!!!

/chris cocker (or whatever he's called)!

dor83 wrote: »
    You lot have done well with transfers from us and I wouldn't have minded selling Balotelli to you either but for the way he has treated the club, I reckon he is trying to force being sold to Milan.

I don't see that happening tbh, I reckon Maicon might be off this year and if he is Santon becomes first choice.

okokok... how about that Chivu fella on the bench so?

• Advertisement
Advertisement