Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inter -v- Barca, Champions League Semi-final 1st leg

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Mario Balotelli's antics are actually reminiscent of those of Eric Cantona in his early career. He's an enfant terrible. He's going to get a good manager and flourish. He has too much talent not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Seaneh wrote: »

Ibrahimovic is a much better central striker than Eto'o, they are very different players but if you can't see that Barca are better for having Ibra in the squad than they were with Eto'o then you're either deluded or you don't actually watch them a lot.

Ibra does so much more than just score goals, he brings other players into the game, he hold the ball up, he creates chances for other players, he wins the ball in the air, he comes very deep a lot of the time, his ball control and vision are as good as an AMC in europe and when he gets chances he takes them 99% of the time.

Eto'o is faster and he has great streaks of goals but he also has large barren spells and goes missing a lot of the time.

I watch Barca every week and Eto is by far a better fit to the Barca team than Ibrahimovich.
    Ibrahimovich is not an out and out striker,he plays too deeply and Barca do not need another AMC ,they have Xavi and Iniesta for that,they need a striker or goal poacher .

As for Ibrahimovich scoring 99% of the time from his chances ,you obviously havent seen much of him this year as in alot of his matches the man couldnt hit a barn door.
    Against Zaragoza he was so bad Messi let his take a penalty so he could finally score.
    Ibrahimovich is a good in the hole attacker but he is struggling at Barca .
    As for being worth €70 ,its farcical.
    Eto is a streaky player and a hothead but he scored goals .
    If Barca were going to sell Eto they should have bought David Villa though he would have been the ideal fit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Balotelli was attacked by fans in the car park.

He should have his contract canceled legally and come to the dark Red and Black side of the San Siro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Balotelli was attacked by fans in the car park.

He should have his contract canceled legally and come to the dark Red and Black side of the San Siro!
    He won't get his contract canceled, this is a very different situation to Pandev. While I do think he has brought a lot of criticism upon himself there is no excuse for attacking a player, saying that he should know what to expect when he disrespects the club like he has(I'm not condoning it , just saying the reaction is to be expected).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

No doubt Barca will jam a late goal in the second leg and get into the final again.

They are such a good team when in possession of the ball but they have glaring weaknesses at the back.

No doubt Barca will jam a late goal in the second leg and get into the final again.

They are such a good team when in possession of the ball but they have glaring weaknesses at the back.

Yeah but he is suspended next week so they should be a bit better :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I watch Barca every week and Eto is by far a better fit to the Barca team than Ibrahimovich.
    Ibrahimovich is not an out and out striker,he plays too deeply and Barca do not need another AMC ,they have Xavi and Iniesta for that,they need a striker or goal poacher .

Barca did not want an out and out striker.

The whole point of buying Ibra was to give them a different outlet up front.

Pep was warey of teams that were starting to adapt to their passing game.

He wanted to have another option for the arsenal should it be required as there was none before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

do posters see puyol as the weakness ?

idk he does some daft things alright but he has great positioning play and always usually gets that last ditch tackle right

I think barca will miss him big time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Speaking as a neutral that was a very enjoyable game to watch. Fair play to Inter they put in a massive shift tonight and took their chances. The players and the manager did a great job overall.

The key for me was how Barce's defence was exposed by Inter's great counter attacks. I've always believed that Barce's back 5 could be got at and Inter showed tonight that indeed they can.

I don't think that the Barcelona midfield and attack were as bad as some people are making out. Yes Inter did a very good job of making it difficult for them but they still scored a goal, had a very good penalty shout turned down, created a few other chances and moved the ball around well for large parts of the game. All this away from home. If Sneijder, Milito and Eto'o hadn't been tearing bits out of their back four then this would have gone down as an acceptable away performance against a very tough team.

The second leg is set up to be a cracker now. Can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Headshot wrote: »

I certainly dont. I think hes very underrated actually.

In regards to the game tonight, very well done to Inter. I thought they were fantastic. When the draw was made, many people said that if anyone could stop Barca it would be Inter, because they are very physical and organized in defense. Well they were that...but they were also lethal in attack, which I wasnt expecting. They cut through the Barca defense many times before they even scored their first goal, and were a real threat throughout the game. Maicon in particular was fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

Buzzing that Inter won 3-1. Could've been 4 or 5 if we had our shooting boots on. We will make the final and win, I am sure of this, so sure that I'm going to Madrid. Forza Inter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Milan were brilliant tonight.

flahavaj wrote: »

Who ? :D

*off to bed

Why who were they playing???

I know Inter were playing Barcelona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Why who were they playing???

I know Inter were playing Barcelona.

Inter Milan are a good team alright.:pac:

Inter Milan are a good team alright.:pac:

Indeed, Inter are potential European Champions this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

idk he does some daft things alright but he has great positioning play and always usually gets that last ditch tackle right

It will be interesting to see the brothers Milito marking each other the next night if it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

One of the great justice nights. As I said on this forum after Inter dispatched Chelsea, this side are desperate to take home the Champions League. They read the press before the Chelsea tie (and before tonight) writing them and Italian football off; the likes of Eto'o, Lucio and Schneijder were deemed surplus to requirements by the two big Spanish powerhouses. Consequently a siege mentality has developed in that dressing room (ably honed by Mourinho no doubt), and there is bucket load upon bucket load of raw pride.

Just like in the Chelsea game at the San Siro, when they conceded they didn't wilt or put the heads down. They rolled up their sleeves and tore into their opponents, and were roared on by the rabid crowd. This is a tough ****ing team, they hate the opposition - any opposition.

Barca have the quality to do it, no doubt. But I have a feeling that Inter won't let it slide. Lucio et al have come too far this season to allow that to happen. They'll grind it out somehow.

ITALIAN FOOTBALL WILL RISE AGAIN!!

inter_campioni_1965_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    ITALIAN FOOTBALL WILL RISE AGAIN!!
    Inter's South American all star XI may have risen to the top of Europe but Italian football in general is sinking without a trace.

• Advertisement

Inter's South American all star XI may have risen to the top of Europe but Italian football in general is sinking without a trace.

Sneijder, Pandev and Eto'o are not South American. Plus Balotelli came on as a sub, he's Italian. So at best its a South American all star VIII.

Sneijder, Pandev and Eto'o are not South American. Plus Balotelli came on as a sub, he's Italian. So at best its a South American all star VIII.
    Yes, that was the main point of my post. :rolleyes:

yes he should rephrase it to "Inters All Star Non Italian 11 with a non Italian coach" :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Jigga wrote: »
    Alves cost a ridiculous £28 million and can't defend to save his life plus his crossing is very inconsistent. Maicon is superior in every aspect of his game.

Ibrahimovic cost £40 million plus a superior striker in Eto'o in part exchange. Didn't score his first goal in 2010 until the middle of February. 20 goals isn't a great return considering the service he gets from Xavi and co. Messi has scored twice as many as him and he doesn't play in the central role.

One of the single most ridiculous posts I think I have ever read on boards. I am not going to grace it by dissecting it.

Missing Puyol is a massive massive blow next week. He has a great calming influence on the side, reads the game brilliantly in addition to what you just said above.

At least he will be available for the final :p

Inter Milan are a team who play association football in Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

If Barcelona go out in the second leg, I think the main blame will lie with awful dealings on last summers transfer market. With the Ibrahimovic transfer, they basically gave Inter Eto'o + £40m to spend on Motta, Snejder and Milito - 4 regular first team starters and in Snejder and Milito, arguably their players of the season. In return they got a striker who most likely finish with around 40% less goals than Eto'o did last season in all competitions and unfit or not, was anonymous last night when he was needed. I know Ibra has his defenders and will most likely improve next season but Barca lack a little something up front, compounded by the fact they kept Henry on a year too long and didn't replace him. And let's not forget they wasted €25 on vowel-dodging misfit Dmytro Chygrynskiy (who?!).

I do think Barca get a free ride for their "pure" football style and youth academy when you consider they still blow huge amounts of cash every year just like Real (of course Dani Alves is world class, he'd have to be when he's the most expensive defender of all time!) and hopefully the regular media jizz fest will quieten over the next few days and sober q's can be asked. More likely though they'll go through on a 2-0 win and any criticism will get swept under a rug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

gimmick wrote: »
    Inter Milan are a team who play association football in Italy.

Inter or Internazionale plz.

And they play some great football fwiw.

• Advertisement

If Barcelona go out in the second leg, I think the main blame will lie with awful dealings on last summers transfer market. With the Ibrahimovic transfer, they basically gave Inter Eto'o + £40m to spend on Motta, Snejder and Milito - 4 regular first team starters and in Snejder and Milito, arguably their players of the season. In return they got a striker who most likely finish with around 40% less goals than Eto'o did last season in all competitions and unfit or not, was anonymous last night when he was needed. I know Ibra has his defenders and will most likely improve next season but Barca lack a little something up front, compounded by the fact they kept Henry on a year too long and didn't replace him. And let's not forget they wasted €25 on vowel-dodging misfit Dmytro Chygrynskiy (who?!).

I do think Barca get a free ride for their "pure" football style and youth academy when you consider they still blow huge amounts of cash every year just like Real (of course Dani Alves is world class, he'd have to be when he's the most expensive defender of all time!) and hopefully the regular media jizz fest will quieten over the next few days and sober q's can be asked. More likely though they'll go through on a 2-0 win and any criticism will get swept under a rug

Think if they don't get to the final it will be down to Guardiola's tactical error last night.

Balotelli trying to leave carpark at the San Siro

redout wrote: »

Matte-black car :cool:

Matte-black car :cool:

I thought it was the Batmobile :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Ibrahimovic has scored crucial goals and has a decent return. It's hardly down to Guardiola what Inter spend their money on.

Any "jizz fest" is fairly understandable since it could be one of the best club sides of all time with arguably one of the best players of all time in his peak. Winning six trophies last year, and looking like winning 1 or 2 perhaps this year.

They are not immune from criticism, nobody is. For the record I have no problem with how Real Madrid spend money or any other club for that matter. Most people who do are idiots, short and blind sighted and often hypocritical in regards to their own club.

As someone else said, I wouldn't blame bad buys in the transfer window if they don't win the Champions league, I'd blame a bad night at the office.

• Advertisement

redout wrote: »

People saying he has an ego and an attitude but it's not often you see a footballer driving a nice sensible car like an Audi :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

what happened barca?

People saying he has an ego and an attitude but it's not often you see a footballer driving a nice sensible car like an Audi :pac:

It's an R8 though - Tony Stark has one

Up against a disciplined side and a side that are extremely strong at home. And Guardiola got his tactics wrong. That's what happened. Simples.

:rolleyes:
    It's an R8 though - Tony Stark has one

I was taking the piss, I know it's a supercar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Up against a disciplined side and a side that are extremely strong at home. And Guardiola got his tactics wrong. That's what happened. Simples.

I don't think Guardiola got it too wrong tbh, I just think José pulled a bit of a fast one by playing 4 all out attackers when he normally only plays three in big matches like this. He played them much higher up the pitch than he normally does. Caught Barca on the hop more than anything else.

Not to mention, the bus journey has had to have had an impact. They looked very sluggish compared to the Barca that made mincemeat of Arsenal in the Emirates, they didn't work half as hard off the ball last night. Remember at one stage Busquets picked up the ball in front of the CBs like normal in the second half, and hadn't anybody to pass to because there was no movement in front of him, such a strange thing to see of this current Barca side.

Well he got it wrong by starting Ibra, I personally think that played into Inter's hands. Think they would have had a harder time with a smaller guy running around. They never looked under pressure centrally.

Also, it was hardly a fast one that Mourinho pulled. He's been playing that formation for quite a while and I think every man and his dog predicted that lineup yesterday. The one thing they might not have predicted was how open the game was. As for them playing much higher up, once again, I disagree. Pandev was keeping an eye on Alves so wasn't as high up as usual. Wesley the same.

Don't agree that they were sluggish - they had the same amount of possession and passing as they did against Arsenal. The difference was that Inter didn't let them in and were disciplined enough throughout the game (except for the goal). They were working as hard, it's just that Inter decided to press them too so it might have made it look like they weren't pressing as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Also, it was hardly a fast one that Mourinho pulled. He's been playing that formation for quite a while and I think every man and his dog predicted that lineup yesterday. The one thing they might not have predicted was how open the game was. As for them playing much higher up, once again, I disagree. Pandev was keeping an eye on Alves so wasn't as high up as usual. Wesley the same.

I'm not that well up on Italian football, but most of the post match analysis seemed to suggest it was a more attacking formation than would have been expected for Mourinho URL="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/apr/20/internazionale-barcelona-champions-league"]example[/URL.
    Don't agree that they were sluggish - they had the same amount of possession and passing as they did against Arsenal. The difference was that Inter didn't let them in and were disciplined enough throughout the game (except for the goal). They were working as hard, it's just that Inter decided to press them too so it might have made it look like they weren't pressing as much.

I don't know... Barca's movement off the ball was uncharacteristically poor at times. Inter got in their faces all right, but Barca just didn't seem to have that usual spark to get them out of trouble when they need it. They took too long on the ball at times and let Inter get close to them I thought.

I'm not that well up on Italian football, but most of the post match analysis seemed to suggest it was a more attacking formation than would have been expected for Mourinho URL="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/apr/20/internazionale-barcelona-champions-league"]example[/URL.

I don't know... Barca's movement off the ball was uncharacteristically poor at times. Inter got in their faces all right, but Barca just didn't seem to have that usual spark to get them out of trouble when they need it. They took too long on the ball at times and let Inter get close to them I thought.

Well I'd take that article with a pinch of salt tbh -
    ignoring Esteban Cambiasso's stab of the foot at Messi's boot as the little genius danced into the penalty area.

Was a clear dive and it seems like the author is a bit of a fanboy. And like I said, he clearly hasn't been watching Inter the last few months as that's how they've been playing.

Yeah, it would have been a surprise had Inter played any other formation last night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Clash between Jose and Xavi after the game last night. good article.
    José Mourinho says Mario Balotelli will play in Internazionale's next match despite his show of petulance at the end of last night's 3-1 Champions League win over Barcelona. Balotelli replaced Diego Milito in the 75th minute of last night's game but angered the home support by giving the ball away cheaply and then gesturing angrily at the crowd after shooting wide.

At the end of the game Balotelli threw his shirt on the floor before storming down the tunnel, and Mourinho was quick to condemn the player's actions.

"I am sorry that the fans were like that with Balotelli," said Mourinho. "I always want my fans to be with my players right to the end. But, in the end, I can understand them because they saw the same thing as me.

"They saw a team which was dead, exhausted after all their efforts.

"(Goran) Pandev had cramp. I couldn't make any more changes. The team was destructed and then you see (Cristian) Chivu come on and do everything, (Dejan) Stankovic come on and do everything, and then Mario comes on with this attitude."

Balotelli's relationship with his team has long been a fractious one. He was frozen out of the first team for several weeks by Mourinho during a protracted row over the player's attitude to training and has upset Inter's fans in the past by declaring himself to be an AC Milan fan, a situation that was exacerbated when he was secretly filmed pulling on that team's shirt by the TV show Striscia La Notizia last month.

Mourinho too has been criticised, however, with a number of pundits suggesting he has been too draconian in his handling of Balotelli, and he did not miss the opportunity to suggest he saw this situation coming.

"Nearly all of you for the last two years have been saying that what he does is normal," he said. "And then there is just this idiot of a coach who says it is not normal. The coach takes all the flak - I can't motivate him, I can't educate him, this or that, next year it's best if Mourinho goes and not Balotelli.

"And then, in the second most important match in the world at club football level, all of my team leave the field dead and one player could have done a little bit more to help the team who was in danger. The fans wanted more, his team-mates wanted more, and he did not give it.

"And then that thing with his shirt. Full stop."

Despite such words, however, Mourinho said Balotelli would remain in the squad for Inter's match against Atalanta on Saturday, and hoped the crowd would be similarly forgiving."On Saturday we have another game, and he will play," said Mourinho. "It is not a problem for me and I expect the fans to give him the chance to demonstrate that he is with us and can help the team and that he has learned today that to play football at the highest level, you have to play in a certain manner."

Inter's president, Massimo Moratti, also expects the experience to bring out the best in Balotelli, although this could well be his last chance with Inter. "This is the lesson of a lifetime that could be useful to him," Moratti said.

Mourinho himself was involved in a row with Xavi in the tunnel after the game, but he expressed empathy for the midfielder.

"I think it is very hard to lose, especially for somebody who is not used to losing," he said. "Even I am like this. It is the characteristic of somebody who almost always wins. For a team which is used to always winning, it is not easy. But this is football.

"I love Xavi and can never have any problems with him. I have known him for so long and love him. When I went to greet him in the tunnel at the end of the game, he spoke about the referee and I said he must have been talking about the referee (Tom Henning) Ovrebo from Chelsea-Barcelona last season, not this game.

"But there can never be a problem between us. He is fantastic."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/21/mario-balotelli-tantrum-jose-mourinho

Advertisement