Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yankee Candles

• 18-04-2010 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

Whats your favourite Yankee Candle? Any recommendations?

I cant get Plumeria anymore, its gone off the shelves, its lovely.

Comments

I love christmas cookie.
    It smells like almondy vanilla baking.
    It is seasonal though.

I also like Midnight Jasmine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Limerickgal82

I love watermelon and Cinnamon Yummy !!! Clean Linen one is quite nice and you can get it as a car freshner as well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I have an evening air car freshener that someone bought me, its nice.

Way, way overpriced though, 20 odd quid for a candle? fcuk right off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I much prefer the Cloon Keen candles; Irish made and they have and amazing burn time; aswell as smelling fabulous:D

There are great sales on Yankee Candles at the moment .... i generally buy when on sale and stock up . Also you can get the really small ones for a few euro :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

i absolutely love cranberry and mandarin it is so sweet and delicious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

There are great sales on Yankee Candles at the moment .... i generally buy when on sale and stock up . Also you can get the really small ones for a few euro :D

Best place to get the bargains on them is in Homestore and more! half price or two for one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I don't buy them as a rule - overpriced and remind me of suburban soccer moms with a "country" style kitchen. God I hate knotty pine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

I'm fairly boring I always stick to the vanilla one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

there's a baby powder one that's so lovely!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

home store and more take all of the popular ones off the shelf when they do there half price sale on em :( i like the black cherry one myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I like the freshly washed clothes one... Can't remember what it's called though!
    I love the Yankee candle store in belfast, I could spend a fortune in there!

Knotty Pine People! It's the Devil!!!!

*sigh*

nobody listens to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

I don't like most of them at all, I find most scented candles reallly cloying. :o
    Also, for some reason they always make me think of what I imagine a house featured in 'Home and Gardens' would be like, and my house is no where near that... ;)

Yankee candles? never heard of them. Judging by some of the scents though I think I would like them!!

*googley woogley*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Yankee candles? never heard of them. Judging by some of the scents though I think I would like them!!

*googley woogley*

Seriously? I'm a guy and I've heard of them:D
    they're pobably the biggest candle manufacturer in the world

krudler wrote: »
    Seriously? I'm a guy and I've heard of them:D
    they're pobably the biggest candle manufacturer in the world

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

*googley woogley*

I can't believe you've never heard of them! You don't know what you're missing out on! Although it is a bit of a love/ hate thing. Some of their scents are so disgusting and overpowering you'd wonder how they sell anything at all!

lizt wrote: »
    I like the freshly washed clothes one... Can't remember what it's called though!
    I love the Yankee candle store in belfast, I could spend a fortune in there!

I think its actually called Fresh Linen :D I have the Yankee Air Freshener in my car so it always seems to smell like washing :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Do Yankee do air fresheners for cars? I'd love one for the car.

Yankee candles are great but Jo Malone are my favourite, got one as a present a while back, was a really odd fragrance lime and mandarin or something mad but was amazing. I can't really justify spending that much on candles though at the minute so I'll stick to the Yankee ones!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭MeerKat17

Blueberry scone flavour!! Mmmmmmhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

MeerKat17 wrote: »
    Blueberry scone flavour!! Mmmmmmhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

yeh just saw that on their website.

that wouldn't be a good idea. I'd just end up making scones. And eating them all. With real butter. And Jam. :pac:

Seriously though, I've never even seen these candles before, are they only sold online or can you get them in shops?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Huge yankee Candle Fan after my Aunt in New Hampshire,USA introduced my Mum to them on a visit in the early 90's .They didn't make it here until abit later.

Like a previous poster I only buy them when they are €12.95 in Home Store & More!
    Home Store & More always have a different fragrance for €12.95 every month. Managed to pick up "Willow Breeze" last week!

Favourite fragrance would include "Sweet HoneySuckle". It's just a georgous fragrance, perfect for Spring/Summer. "Egyptian Cotton". It has been discontinued I think :( and "Island Spa" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Featherl

I much prefer the Cloon Keen candles; Irish made and they have and amazing burn time; aswell as smelling fabulous:D

I have not seen these in shops.. Where do you buy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Featherl

Ruby-J wrote: »
    i absolutely love cranberry and mandarin it is so sweet and delicious!

Ruby,

I bought this scent but was really disappointed with it. No scent from it at all :(

are they only sold online or can you get them in shops?

No they are everywhere, most homewares shops would have them.
    My local florist sells them too, and easons.

Moonbaby wrote: »

I don't go to any of these type of places so it's no wonder :pac:

I think I'm going online shopping soon though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

I don't go to any of these type of places so it's no wonder :pac:

I think I'm going online shopping soon though :)

And I thought I lived in ballygobackwards :p

They have beautiful candle holder thingys for them too, my mam has LOADS! The candles arent cheap but compared to the cheaper alternative they last ages and the scent never goes from them.

I am always burning them in work and people are forever asking whats the smell :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

My mum got me a big Vanilla cupcake one as a Christmas/moving present. It was lovely! It's almost at the end now and I'm going to miss it :(

I like the car fresheners they make too. I'm still using Christmas Cookie in my car. There's nothing quite like having your car smell like freshly baked goods!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I used to work in Hallmark and the catalogues are scratch and sniff! Many a happy hour was passed courtesy of those magazines let me tell you.
    As a word of warning though, avoid the sweet ones like the plague. They smell lovely but can be very very heavy when lit, I used to get horrible headaches from them.
    My faves would be:
    Island Spa
    Fresh Linen
    Sandalwoood
    Sun and Sand
    And the xmas ones tend to be amazing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sparky89

I use the ones you burn in the oil burners there only 1 euro to buy and there's so may options in them
    my fav is the black cherry and the lemon lavender :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Featherl wrote: »
    I have not seen these in shops.. Where do you buy?

They have a little shop in Galway(they are made in Galway), and The Kilkenny shop sells them also; or they have a website www.cloonkeenatelier.com but unfortunately their postage rates are pants:(

They really are lovely candles tho; not as 'synthetic' smelling as the Yankee ones; and they burn longer too in my experience.

Their shop is down the laneway beside Busker Brownes pub on Cross st for anybody who find themselves in Galway and is interested:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭catiny

I love clean cotton.. it was the first one we had in the house!
    hmm

oh there's a shop in cork city on winthrop street that only sells yankee candles and accessories! bit of a sale going on too if anyone is looking for them!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Any of the Yankee candles I've smelt never appealed to me.

I got some blackcurrant tea lights in Home Store & More which where amazing !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Any of the Yankee candles I've smelt never appealed to me.

I got some blackcurrant tea lights in Home Store & More which where amazing !
    :D

I love that someone who's user name is Stench Blossoms can't find a Yankee Candle she likes the smell of.:) I don't think stench blossoms are a big seller.

Clean Linen is my favourite, everything else I've tried has been a bit overpowering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Moonbaby wrote: »

midsummer's night is my fave very much a mens room smell :D the irish website has a great selection www.yankee.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Beffy

I love the christmas one 'home sweet home'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ThatGal

I love the clean cotton one! makes any room smell so fresh, i even have the air fresheners for my car!! But my sister keeps a baby powder yankee candle in her bathroom, the smell of that one is lovely!!

oh and homestore and more (i think that's what it's called) up at airside always seem to have a good selection and offers whenever i'm up there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i hate these candles , they are very cloying and overpowering

plus they're way too expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 6 discoshaz

oh i love yankee candles they smell so lovely - at the moment my favourite is juicy peach

• Advertisement
  • Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Love:
    Carribean Tradewinds
    Clean Linen
    Cranberry and Mandarian

also got the car air freshener in 'leather' for the OH new car. its not too overpowering and i really hate that in a car - i'd get nauseous, so its ideal and not too girly :D

since it was sealed in the pack i couldnt smell it, (there were no candles in that scent for me to sniff so in a dopey moment asked at the counter what it smelled like. she looked at me for a few seconds and said "er, leather" :o
    no doubt the shop assistant has told her story in R&R Cries of Retail Thread:D

and they do loyalty cards too. i have one... happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Chibodee

Mmmmm I love Yankee Candles...they sell them where I work - and some of them are just amazing! My favourite at the moment would have to be Kiwi Berries! It's very fruity and pleasant coming into the summer months! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

Scented candles are all very nice but the Yankee ones are very overpriced. Plus, they are made using synthetic oils which, while scenting the air, have no therapeutic qualities whatsoever. A few drops of oil in an aromatherapy burner can achieve the same effect while offering other benefits such as purifying, de-stressing/uplifting, calming and inducing a state of well-being. And it's more economical too. Just my few cents worth. :p

Jen ;->

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

tedshredsonfire, speak to the guys in adverts if you want to promote your products.

Post deleted.

Maple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭sudzs

They all give me a headache.. :(

Much prefer my oil burner with citronella or lavender & bergamot! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

sam34 wrote: »
    plus they're way too expensive

yes, but they are the only ones that actually keep their scent.

I'm all about doing life on the cheap, but I actually find yankee candles worth the money to be honest. They actually hold their scent for ages.

check out yankie.ie I bought 6 votives and 2 holders for €12 but they actually gave me 9 candles as they were missing one of the fragrances!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Fresh cut roses, love that scent and it stays in a room for ages :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Just a cautionary tale, but our wax burner went up in flames recently :( We where using the midsummer nights wax tart. Luckily it was on the kitchen hob so no damage was done.

Visited the store Yesterday looking for a new burner(to buy), I mentioned the issue to the girl there at the time and she said to call in today with the burner and he would "Look after me", which is not what I was looking for, but I was pleasantly surprised. We where in the area so I called in, the manager immediately jumped on the defensive and suggested that we had done something wrong due to the soot on the inside of the burner. He said that its to be expected that it would catch fire if there are 2 tea lights in the burner, my girlfriend has left an empty tea light in it when she lit a new one...

I was disgusted with his attitude, I went in to the store looking for nothing and was greeted with an arrogant, defensive man. I didn't even consider following the problem with the burner up, but his attitude has inspired me.

Apologies for the rant :(

k, this thread is quite old now... and not very tLL

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement