Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen infested with Ants

Options
  • 18-04-2010 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭

The last week or so, my Kitchen has become completely infested with ants. Literally hundreds of them. Crawling over the countertops and in my kitchen drawers and on my food. It's pretty disgusting.
    I'm afraid of using any kind of poison in the drawers or cupboards in case it gets on my food. Is there any good way of getting rid of them. I heard vinegar, but that seems to have done nothing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

There are a number of solutions; you could use bait poison (the chances of ant bait getting on your food, if you're using it as per instructions, is miniscule). Alternatively, if you're not interested in nuking the nest outside, just trace them back to the area where they're accessing the house and use a barrier spray on the spot where they're coming into the house. You can also use barrier spray outside on the windowsills or wherever, but it'll wash away if you have a lot of rain.

I have no objection to them in my garden, but it's annoying when they start forays into the house after food. I just follow the line (because they do always march in a line) back to the area they're coming in. Then I hoover up the marching line right back to the access point, and barrier spray the access point. I keep my animals well away from the barrier spray until it's dried completely. Hoover before spraying, because if you don't the marching line scatters and the little beggars run for cover under anything they can find.

I don't like poisoning everything that crawls (I'm in Australia so I'd be at it all day!) but I do prefer that the crawlies stay outside and I stay inside, so I will use barrier sprays - Mortein and Raid both make good barrier spray products.

Advertisement