Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fatal Crash just off the M9

• 18-04-2010 4:30pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting reports of a fatal Crash on the bypass but nothing on rte.ie yet. Anybody know what the story is? Hope all are okay and its not as bad as described

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

That's awful, hard to see how though apart from a freak accident.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

You sure it is the bypass? Rescue helicopter just tasked to a site to the northwest of Tramore, somewhere near Fenor?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Iv no idea for sure, just the call I got but I didn't ask for more information as it wasn't relevant for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Just tried to get onto the new motorway at knocktopher and road is closed by gardai so possibly the accident is on new motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

From AA Roadwatch

*MAIN TRAFFIC* *KILKENNY* The Knocktopher Rd (R699) to and from the new M9 (south of Kilkenny City) is closed until further notice following an earlier serious collision. Diversions are in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Was on the road this evening, it was closed before 2pm it's actually the link road between Knocktopher and the entrance to the Motorway that the accident happened so it's not on the Motorway itself, no details of what vehicles were involved, but it was still closed at 6pm this evening as I was coming back home.

Two bits of slightly off topic but Motorway related

1 - How bloody hard is it to get onto that motorway ! I know there's an Electronic sign outside of Thomastown, but access isn't easy, I would have thought the entrances would have been easier got to than they are, check out the entrance onto it from Mullinavegas for example

2 - About a week and a half ago I witnessed something of that should have gotten a darwin award, but I was too gobsmacked to hand out the award at the time. A woman had driven down the on ramp at the roundabout in Granagh heading for the new bridge, she stopped at the bottom, and did a U Turn and drove back against traffic in the fast lane to get back up to the roundabout, because she either wouldn't pay the toll or had taken the wrong exit. I reported her to the toll operator, she informed me that it was common place and unless I had a reg there was nothing the Gardai could do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Junior wrote: »
    in the fast lane

It's an overtaking lane.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    It's an overtaking lane.

You still drive faster then the other car, which is why its commonly called the "fast lane".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

There's some incredible stories and YouTube videos of people doing crazy things on the bypass. Maybe the gardai/city council should run something (with diagrams) on the front of the 3 local newspapers, for just 1 week, outlining the basics of how to use the new road network.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    It's an overtaking lane.

I know it's purpose, I just use the term fast lane, semantics if you will..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

wellbutty wrote: »
    There's some incredible stories and YouTube videos of people doing crazy things on the bypass. Maybe the gardai/city council should run something (with diagrams) on the front of the 3 local newspapers, for just 1 week, outlining the basics of how to use the new road network.

Have to agree with you, but I think the signage and markings on the road are very poor, the road markings can be very hard to see on the approach to the roundabout on the sandy part.

Have to agree with you, but I think the signage and markings on the road are very poor, the road markings can be very hard to see on the approach to the roundabout on the sandy part.

Extremely hard to see most certainly, and with three lanes suddenly appearing out of no - where plus with no yellow boxes or lanes marked on roundabouts it can be a free for all at times in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Yeah its ridiculos, especially when you are not familiar with the roundabout, It caught myself out the first time I was on it. I dont know who designs these but they would need to open their eyes and Unfortunley there will be plenty of accidents on it before its changed.

Just seen this from AA Roadwatches Twitter Stream
    The Knocktopher Rd (R699) to and from the new M9 (south of Kilkenny City) has reopened. See www.aaroadwatch.ie for more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

2 - About a week and a half ago I witnessed something of that should have gotten a darwin award, but I was too gobsmacked to hand out the award at the time. A woman had driven down the on ramp at the roundabout in Granagh heading for the new bridge, she stopped at the bottom, and did a U Turn and drove back against traffic in the fast lane to get back up to the roundabout, because she either wouldn't pay the toll or had taken the wrong exit. I reported her to the toll operator, she informed me that it was common place and unless I had a reg there was nothing the Gardai could do about it.

I wonder if it was the same woman I met on that roundabout driving the wrong way around it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

the road markings can be very hard to see on the approach to the roundabout on the sandy part.

It really isn't. It was when it first opened, but I don't know if they improved it or it was weathering, but it's clear as day now. People just don't open their bloody eyes.

They are fairly poor at the cleaboy roundabout and at the kilmeaden roundabout, and I use both severly times a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,685 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was coming from the bridge looking for the Kilkenny turn off. I missed it, because no where does it say Kilkenny. Presumably it says Dublin but I was tuned in looking for Kilkenny. Then as soon as you are on the motorway and can only go forward - there it is, Kilkenny.

Its a great improvement for travelling to Kilkenny though.

Hardly helps that on the bypass it all leads to the N9 pointing you towards the motorway. Its only when you get to the motorway you realise you are nowhere near the N9.

Similar signage was in Waterford for a while but thankfully it was addressed. Problem still remains in Kilkenny boundry where the road leading to the bypass from Rice Bridge keeps pushing people towards the M9 saying its the N9.

Agree signage on the bypass itself is shockingly poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Was a biker who died in the crash. He was out on a run when it happened. Poor chap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Saw something similar a few months ago out at the Harvey Normans/B&Q/Halfords exit, a woman pulls out onto the one way double laned road and goes the wrong way down the road in the overtaking/fast lane towards the roundabout. I slowed down and beeped the horn and and a few others did the same. She didnt seemed phased by it as if she assumed the drivers were moving back into their own lane when actually they had to get off the left lane to avoid collison. Pity I didnt get her car reg, worth reporting her even just to have the gardai give her a warning to let her know she was driving dangerously. Can be a confusing exit so even though I was amazed to see it I was kind of expecting it. The should have big one way signs on the wall of that road for the day dreamers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Sully wrote: »
    I'm getting reports of a fatal Crash on the bypass but nothing on rte.ie yet. Anybody know what the story is? Hope all are okay and its not as bad as described
    it was possibly this accident....
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0419/breaking7.html

RIP to the unnamed person.

Advertisement