Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Lakoff and Paternalism?

• 18-04-2010 4:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭

What are people's opinions of George Lakoff's concept that stems from the ideas of "The Embodied Mind" and the "essentially Contested Concept", the idea that peoples worldview is based on either a father-figure-type or a nuturing-type mentality?

It really reminds me of a Freudian interpretation of human nature but I'm not sure on what is contested and what is accepted, it doesn't seem so audacious or depressing as Freuds theory and I would like to think it has some merit as it seems reasonable enough when you listen to him.

If anybody knows anything about this I'd like to hear your thoughts, he has a great lecture @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saDHFomGW3A if anybody is interested.

If you know nothing of his work and are only going to comment on what "you think" he is talking about after reading my description please watch the lecture before doing so just to be clear you understand what he is getting at.

Advertisement