Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ammo shortages?

Options
  • 18-04-2010 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

I called into a RFD in Cork a while ago and they had no .223 ammo in stock!

I was told that that its hard to get ammo now since it all comes from the States and they are to busy supplying their own armed forces:confused:

Anyone else come across this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Ghost.

Yeah, I was told the same earlier this week. I was told its just a shortage of american eagle though.

I dont know if its true or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

aha now we know what stock to buy !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Johnny_Coyle

I have heard that since 9/11 the price of ammo has steadily gone up for a few reasons.
    1) The American war effort
    2) America gov't was buying ammo from all over the world (like Russian Bear, Wolf,...) to give to warlords on their side.

However, that's really old news (and speculation). It appears that the US prices have spiked and are coming down in many instances.

I expect the price to continue to fall and that recent shortages have to do with ATK's scrapping of cartridge cases.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=5739

Progress Made On Military Once-Fired Brass Issue—ATK Stops Scrapping Cartridge Cases Friday, April 16, 2010 On Friday, April 16, Montana’s U.S. Senators Max Baucus and Jon Tester announced that ATK—the defense conglomerate that operates the Army’s Lake City ammunition plant, and that owns the Federal ammunition, RCBS reloading equipment, and Alliant smokeless gunpowder companies—is voluntarily withdrawing from contracts it made with military bases to collect and scrap once-fired small arms cartridge cases. The scrapping of the cases became an issue several weeks ago, when it was determined to be partially responsible for reducing the quantity of intact cartridge cases sold to companies that use them to produce reloaded ammunition for sale to private individuals.

ATK’s decision follows, by about two weeks, a letter sent by the two senators to the Department of Defense’s (DOD) Defense Logistics Agency (DLA), asking its chief to determine whether the scrapping of the brass complied with the 2010 DOD Appropriations Bill (Section 8019 of Public Law 111-118) prohibiting the use of federal funds to demilitarize or destroy once-fired small arms cartridge cases.

Senators Baucus and Tester advised the DLA, “The intent of this law is to ensure once-fired small arms cartridge cases are made available intact in the open market. We are concerned that certain installation contracts with private entities for the sale of once-fired small arms cartridge cases … may not be in compliance with this law.”

A separate federal law, passed in the 1990s, authorizes military installations that have Qualified Recycling Programs to scrap fired cartridge cases and a wide variety of other government property. Therefore, in the days to come, NRA-ILA will continue working with Senators Baucus and Tester, and other members of Congress, to determine what, if any, adjustments are necessary to resolve any underlying problems that might interrupt the availability of the cartridge cases in the future.

A fact sheet on Senator Tester’s website further illuminates the two senators’ appreciation of the contribution that reloaded ammunition manufacturers make to promoting the right to keep and bear arms. The fact sheet also includes the text of the letter that the two senators sent to the DLA.

NRA members are encouraged to thank Senators Baucus and Tester for once again quickly taking steps to ensure the availability of the cartridge cases to reloaders. Last year, when a bureaucratic glitch led to a temporary suspension in the sale of the cases, the senators quickly communicated their concerns to the DLA, which contributed to the government’s decision to reclassify the cartridge cases so that their sale could be resumed. A summary of last year’s circumstances is available here.

Contact information for Senator Baucus can be found here. Senator Tester can be reached by e-mail here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Imagine that Politicians that actually help gunowners!
    I wonder will we ever see the day here?
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

murph226 wrote: »
    I called into a RFD in Cork a while ago and they had no .223 ammo in stock!

I was told that that its hard to get ammo now since it all comes from the States and they are to busy supplying their own armed forces:confused:

Anyone else come across this?

Ammo comes in in consignments, sent to wholesaler, the divided amongst RFD's.
    Hornady Is due in Ireland End of May, As per Hornady Contact.
    Mcbride in Athlone has 400 40grain moly .223 hornady and 600 55Grain Varmint Express Hornady

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

Ammo comes in in consignments, sent to wholesaler, the divided amongst RFD's.
    Hornady Is due in Ireland End of May, As per Hornady Contact.
    Mcbride in Athlone has 400 40grain moly .223 hornady and 600 55Grain Varmint Express Hornady

how much he looking per box of the varmint express do ya no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Did he suck in through his teeth and shake his head??:D

shooting clays the other week and was told the same story, my response was " Fook it, its time to quit clays and do more fishin" he barely smiled at me

endasmail wrote: »
    how much he looking per box of the varmint express do ya no?

€27 euro I think!
    Give him a call, James's number is on another thread on Gunshops in Athlone
    Or PM me for number.
    I don't post his number as I think numbers should not be posted here, Too many weirdo's read these sites:D
    He has a Butcher shop in Athlone and he is also listed there
    http://www.qype.ie/place/preview/ie-164784-james-mcbride-athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

€27 euro I think!
    Give him a call, James's number is on another thread on Gunshops in Athlone
    Or PM me for number.
    I don't post his number as I think numbers should not be posted here, Too many weirdo's read these sites:D
    He has a Butcher shop in Athlone and he is also listed there
    http://www.qype.ie/place/preview/ie-164784-james-mcbride-athlone

thanks tackleberry
    have his number hear
    was down with him few times,thought he was a little dear

endasmail wrote: »
    thanks tackleberry
    have his number hear
    was down with him few times,thought he was a little dear

I find he has 2 prices, the no haggle price and the latter.
    Always haggle to get the best deal, like tell him you will buy 200

He can be dear if you let him be!!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement