Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how many rounds

Options
  • 18-04-2010 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

i am applying for a shotgun and wondering how many rounds to state i need for i was planning on doing a lot of shooting and i am unsure of the amount that would be enough for clays etc and dont want to be running to the shop for more ammo every whack about. i am also wondering what to put in in the proof of compentence

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

ferrete wrote: »
    i am applying for a shotgun and wondering how many rounds to state i need for i was planning on doing a lot of shooting and i am unsure of the amount that would be enough for clays etc and dont want to be running to the shop for more ammo every whack about. i am also wondering what to put in in the proof of compentence

Best way to do it is to ask yourself how often you're going to be able to resupply, reasonably, then figure out how much you'll use in that time and add a little on due to the potential inconsistency of supplies. So if you figure you'll use about five hundred a week, and can reasonably get to the dealer every three weeks, then you'll use fifteen hundred, but it might be worth having two thousand, in case the dealer is slow getting things in, or you can't make it one week.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

yea well what do i put down about proof of compentence

Have you held a firearm certificate before? If so, that's proof of competence. If not, you'll have to ask your individual superintendent what he'll accept, whether he'd like you to accompany some other shooters to learn how to be safe and proficient, or whether he'd like you to do some sort of course, and then what course he'd accept.

thanks i have not owned a firearm before and am finding it difficult to get the licence

thanks i have not owned a firearm before and am finding it difficult to get the licence

Your own super's the best person to consult with in that case. Have you been shooting with family or friends that you could chat to him about what you know in terms of safety and handling? If you've neither experience nor exposure, then it seems he'll probably want you to do a course of some kind.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Any of the coaches here can help you with that.

For what it's worth I applied for 3,000 cartridges on my clay gun and got 2,000 and I applied for 1,000 on the game gun and got the 1,000. Now whether your super will give you that many on a first licence is doubtful.

i was going to look for around 500 rounds as i was planning on using the gun for vermin and clays and game i have been shooting with friends and was wondering how this would qualify

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

i was going to look for around 500 rounds as i was planning on using the gun for vermin and clays and game i have been shooting with friends and was wondering how this would qualify

No 4's for Duck x 100 rounds
    No 6's for Phesant 100 rounds
    BB for foxes x 100 rounds
    No 7,8,9's for snipe x100 rounds

Trap for clays 100-500Rounds for Clays

There is your 1000 rounds reason!;)

thanks this is really helpful but do you think i will get this limit with a first time licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

thanks this is really helpful but do you think i will get this limit with a first time licence

If you do not ask then you can not receive, put in a cover letter stating reasons required for ammo amount to suit your needs.

• Advertisement

yes i intend to but i am wondering what the chances are of getting this amount for a first time licence

Advertisement