Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SOCIALIZING IN CORK

Options
  • 18-04-2010 5:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Im male 28, easy going and DONT drink alcohol, take drugs or smoke. I have friends who do the above and i have no problem with that, everyone to there own.

Do anyone know any groups that dont drink or drink alcohol and dont mind someone there who doesnt.

Im very out-going, good personality and confident. If anyone know any groups in Cork City or County i would be grateful if u let me no.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

That's the eternal question Biy! I never heard of any kind of organised club. Any of my buddies who don't drink tend to just have certain buddies they associate with easily. I guess you'd wanna look more towards groups that come together for sports or activities that don't revolve around drink, depends what you're into of course. I do drink even though i'm trying to cut way down. When i meet friends that don't drink it's always in bloody tribes! not a bad place but ya get sick of it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭rocky2010

Thanx Bassfish for your reply. Yea i do have friends that drink which i do things with and its not a problem. At 28 you find alot of your friends are either married, or in a r.ship and might not go out as much as when they were younger as they have other commitments with partner, and work etc.

So its harder to find people to go out with that doesnt mind you not drinking alcohol. I personally am very comfortable and confident not doing so. Hence why i was looking to develop friends that i could do this with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I wonder would it be better to start a thread in the Cork forum? You might get more of a response from Cork people there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

rocky2010 wrote: »
    Thanx Bassfish for your reply. Yea i do have friends that drink which i do things with and its not a problem. At 28 you find alot of your friends are either married, or in a r.ship and might not go out as much as when they were younger as they have other commitments with partner, and work etc.

So its harder to find people to go out with that doesnt mind you not drinking alcohol. I personally am very comfortable and confident not doing so. Hence why i was looking to develop friends that i could do this with.
    I know what ya mean man, i tend to bug my non-drinker friends to meet up at the weekends, keeps me from being roped into going to the pub. I've the will power of a termite you see:rolleyes:
    As said above, the cork forum might be a better place to hook up wit others, you'd be surprised how many people who do enjoy a drink would relish having a different outlet to meet people.

well if you know anyone let me know man ... :) i dont mind if people drink or not i spent many years going out with mates who did.

Wud be good to network tho make new contacts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 GirlWithBrain

Hey there Rocky, how are ya? I'm new to this boards thing but felt I just had to respond to your thread, mostly coz I'm in the exact same position as you! I'm also a non-drinker and a full-blown Corkonian (for my trouble!) and I'm at the stage where the local social scene is wrecking my head. I've been searching for alternatives to going out on the town for a while now as it just doesn't float my boat as much as it used to. Unfortunately, it mostly involves doing non-drinking related stuff with people I already know and so it doesn't really offer the same possibilities of meeting new people as a pub/club does. I was just wondering if you had any luck on your search/guidance to offer on the subject?! It would be much appreciated! :)

Hey there Rocky, how are ya? I'm new to this boards thing but felt I just had to respond to your thread, mostly coz I'm in the exact same position as you! I'm also a non-drinker and a full-blown Corkonian (for my trouble!) and I'm at the stage where the local social scene is wrecking my head. I've been searching for alternatives to going out on the town for a while now as it just doesn't float my boat as much as it used to. Unfortunately, it mostly involves doing non-drinking related stuff with people I already know and so it doesn't really offer the same possibilities of meeting new people as a pub/club does. I was just wondering if you had any luck on your search/guidance to offer on the subject?! It would be much appreciated! :)

Hiya GirlWithBrain, Great to hear from you. There is alot of clubs or social groups which are out there having tried them all i have had VERY bad experiences with them. Personally i found meeting 1 or 2 people and going out bowling, playing pool, gym, pubs or clubs etc to be alot better than going to a social club with 20+ people which is like the egg vs the egg yolk problem. You have alot of the members and then you have the few new people outside of that which are not always made welcome. Thats just my view however different strokes for different strokes. What EXACTLY are you looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 GirlWithBrain

What exactly am I looking for? A way of meeting new people I suppose. They don't necessarily have to be non-drinkers, I'm just getting tired of the same social scene so I'm hoping to find alternatives. I'd like to get opinions on whether there are any good clubs/venues that are worth a try though I do agree with you that there is a tendency to feel like an outsider if you're the only newbie. Given that I don't drink I sometimes feel that my social circle is smaller than it could be and I'd like to maybe work on that. All I need is a little direction! Go proactivity! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

It's certainly difficult. If someone wants to organize a boards.ie dry balls gathering, I'd be up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Just saw this thread and thought I would bump it!

In the Cork forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=478 I organise events all the time (cinema, bowling, drinks, dinner, photowalks, pool etc...) and you are all welcome to come.

There is bowling happening this Friday (the venue chosen DOES serve alcohol however no-one is going to care less / bother you for not having a drink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Yag reuoY

Fancy a pint? :pac:

Advertisement