Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hodrick-Prescott Filter

• 18-04-2010 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Heya guys,

I'm looking at using the Hodrick-Prescott filter to observe original series' trends and some detrended series. Does Excel provide these features or will I need to look at other software packages? If the latter is true, which software package would be best?

Thanks in advance!;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

RATS is a widely-used time series tool. I also hear that "R" is good for this, and it is free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

R will do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Search the forum for "Farnsworth" for a PDF tutorial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭patriks

Thanks guys! R looks good.

On a slightly different - but related - topic:
    How could one determine the steady state of a model where you have obtained dy/dx. i.e. Hypothetically, if: dy/dx = .5x^2 - .6x, how could could one determine the steady state? (By the way, I'm not sure how realistic those figures are, I'm just wondering about the general approach.)
    Also, how could one graph the differential equation in a phase diagram? (Again, I'm just wondering about the relevant approaches.)
    More specifically, that should probably be dx/dt, given that it's with respect to time, right?

Cheers.

Advertisement