Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to get nut repairing on an acoustic guitar?

• 18-04-2010 5:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭

Hey i am looking to see if someone can recommend me somewhere i can get the nut repaired on my acoustic guitar, somewhere in Dublin. While they are at it they may as well just throw a new set of strings as its been sitting idle for 6 months now.

Also how much would i be looking at for this (with a new set of semi-decent strings)? hopefully wont be too expensive as pay day is a bit away or if i can fit it myself where can i get it online.

Also i am new enough to playing so can you also advise what to ask for in terms of getting strings. Any recommendations? i am a bit of a newbie ;)

Cheers all

BTW its a Cort AD-830 NS guitar

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Not sure about the nut but they arent expensive. Getting one put on however might cost a little bit. Id guess about 40.

New strings youll get for about 8 euro. I use martins and they are fine. I think standard string sizes on acoustics are 12s so seeing as your new to playing perhaps you should ask for 10s to make it a tad easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

king-stew wrote: »
    Not sure about the nut but they arent expensive. Getting one put on however might cost a little bit. Id guess about 40.

New strings youll get for about 8 euro. I use martins and they are fine. I think standard string sizes on acoustics are 12s so seeing as your new to playing perhaps you should ask for 10s to make it a tad easier.

do you know if its simple to do by oneself? I am quite handy with tools and like fixing things myself generally. i see the nut cheap enough on ebay for the same size as whats on it and was thinking of fixing it myself. Worst comes to worst if cant get the nut to fit will drop int shop fr a nut and should still cost the same.

I got some elixir 11s light guage long life ones there so will see how they play nce on. Have played on ernie ball ones previously and prefer something bit different as nt mad on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

chris85 wrote: »
    do you know if its simple to do by oneself? I am quite handy with tools and like fixing things myself generally. i see the nut cheap enough on ebay for the same size as whats on it and was thinking of fixing it myself. Worst comes to worst if cant get the nut to fit will drop int shop fr a nut and should still cost the same.

I got some elixir 11s light guage long life ones there so will see how they play nce on. Have played on ernie ball ones previously and prefer something bit different as nt mad on them

Yeah its very easy to do, the nut is just slightly glued down so small taps with maybe a skinny screwdriver prying it up should do the job, and then get the new nut, tap it back in, maybe some glue and thats it!

Advertisement