Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

only 201 places left for 2010 Warriors Run

Options
  • 18-04-2010 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭

Just giving people a bit of advance warning.
    599 people have registerd for this race out of the maximum of 800 places. If you, a loved one or friend had planned to do this then better get the skates on and register. Might be no more than a week left before its full.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Fair play T Runner,

I can see it filling up soon, it didnt sell out till about late July last year I think but that was the first year of online registration so not surprised its going way quicker this year. Hopefully not that many people who want to do it will miss out.

For anyone reading this considering doing it, go register now ya wont regret it. Some buzz racing and glancing down at all of Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

D'oh - was looking at this about 2 weeks ago and had ment to book my ticket then, better book it soon so - cheers T runner!

Filling up fast folks, I registered last night, 100 people have registered since T runner posted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Filling up fast folks, I registered last night, 100 people have registered since T runner posted :)

716 registered now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

716 registered now.

762 now, last chance....

• Advertisement

And its full:):)

Cue people who missed out starting to frantically look for entries

Its geting bigger every year, the organisers are doing a brilliant job

Well, how are people's preparations going for this?

Getting a bit nervous already!

T runner wrote: »
    Well, how are people's preparations going for this?

Getting a bit nervous already!

Preperations eh,

Not the best. Did the Dublin Mountain Plod few weeks ago, started off grand actually too fast was 9th coming out of Marley Park anyways IT band came back to haunt me 30mins in so was a painful finish, finshed in 1.51.

Have only ran once since. Finishing a masters in Dublin so not much time to train anyways, just hoping my fitness from the gym will pull me through to a somewhat respectable time. Defo wont be getting a pb this yr, maybe next year :)

Anyways cant wait for the run and the craic in the Strand after.

How you set T Runner? Got the first local wrapped up this year ya think :) ?

Preperations eh,

Not the best. Did the Dublin Mountain Plod few weeks ago, started off grand actually too fast was 9th coming out of Marley Park anyways IT band came back to haunt me 30mins in so was a painful finish, finshed in 1.51.

Have only ran once since. Finishing a masters in Dublin so not much time to train anyways, just hoping my fitness from the gym will pull me through to a somewhat respectable time. Defo wont be getting a pb this yr, maybe next year :)

Anyways cant wait for the run and the craic in the Strand after.

How you set T Runner? Got the first local wrapped up this year ya think :) ?

Sorry to hear about the IT band. Hopefully it will go well for you on the day.

Im not confident about first local at all. Im expecting a very serious battle this year. It was very close call last year, with two of us together at the Cairn and me hanging on. A bit more hill running experience got me a decisive lead by the bottom, but there was nothing betweeen us apart from that. I know the man who was second in the local competition last year is going extremely well in triathlon.

Anyway, it will be a great day out again no doubt. Heard tehres a lot of people training around the mountain.

Sorry to hear about the IT band. Hopefully it will go well for you on the day.

Im not confident about first local at all. Im expecting a very serious battle this year. It was very close call last year, with two of us together at the Cairn and me hanging on. A bit more hill running experience got me a decisive lead by the bottom, but there was nothing betweeen us apart from that. I know the man who was second in the local competition last year is going extremely well in triathlon.

Anyway, it will be a great day out again no doubt. Heard tehres a lot of people training around the mountain.

Oh ya I seen on the DVD last year that yourself and the other local were head to head at the top of the mountain. Your mountain running experience should stand to ya. He is performing very well tho, amazing he is still the best triathlete in Sligo by such a distance.

Who do ya reckon will win it this year? Is Boit still around? I see Dunleavy recently got pbs for the 1500m and 5000m, would be great to see someone from Sligo win it

• Advertisement

Ran the course on Saturday, tough going, I set a new PB for number of flies swallowed!

Oh ya I seen on the DVD last year that yourself and the other local were head to head at the top of the mountain. Your mountain running experience should stand to ya. He is performing very well tho, amazing he is still the best triathlete in Sligo by such a distance.

Who do ya reckon will win it this year? Is Boit still around? I see Dunleavy recently got pbs for the 1500m and 5000m, would be great to see someone from Sligo win it

Yes, he is performing very well indeed. It should be very close (if Im lucky!)

No sign of Boit this year. Hes not in Ireland and Im sure wont be competing.

It would be graet to see a Sligo winner and Dunleavy is flying. Owen Gahan is back though, but if Dunleavy is in contention after the mountain he'll have the speed to amke it his year.

Heard a rumour that a very fast hill runner may be running. If thats the case its bad news for all concerned (including Boit if he runs)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Podgster

Haven't done this run before or had any chance to scope out the terrain - in fact I'm a total ingénue to mountain running, just wondering if anyone has any advice on what footwear is best? A lot of it is road, so I guess just normal road runners are fine?
    Thanks
    P

Podgster wrote: »
    Haven't done this run before or had any chance to scope out the terrain - in fact I'm a total ingénue to mountain running, just wondering if anyone has any advice on what footwear is best? A lot of it is road, so I guess just normal road runners are fine?
    Thanks
    P

Yes, road runners are definetly the way to go. The first 3 miles are on road then you hit the mountain. The mountain part is mainly over grass on the way up and a bit of grass on the way down so if its a wet day it might be slippy but road runners should do you grand. Vey few people go with specific mountain running shoes. Once you leave the mountain you've got a nice 4 miles left on road so you will be glad of the shoes then.

Best of luck with it

Good luck to everyone tommorrow.

A few spectating options:

1. Stay in pub in Strandhill!
    2. Watch start and finish from Strandhill.
    3. Watch from teh top of teh glen road as the runners turn for the mountain.
    4. Watch from turnoff for Knocknarea carpark. Youll get them as they turn onto road for home.
    5. From Knocknarae carpark. If you have binoculars you can see ascenta nd descent from here.
    6 Get to carpark early. Walk up through gate at half way. Follow fence up and follow fence left. 5 mins walk will get you to midway of the new ascent route. Watch the leaders battle and struggle up the steepest part of the course. Walk back to tourist route and watch them descend the trickiest steepest section.
    7. Anywhere on route back to village. If youre supporting a runner a wee slug of energize, lucozade and moral support is most appreciated here. The turnpff at St Annes Church of Ireland is a good spot.

No matter where you support from, bring a camera upload the pictures and share (the organisers will link to your site) . Runners love pictures and mementos.

Good luck everyone. Try your best and enjoy the craic after.

Good luck to everyone tommorrow.

A few spectating options:

1. Stay in pub in Strandhill!
    2. Watch start and finish from Strandhill.
    3. Watch from teh top of teh glen road as the runners turn for the mountain.
    4. Watch from turnoff for Knocknarea carpark. Youll get them as they turn onto road for home.
    5. From Knocknarae carpark. If you have binoculars you can see ascenta nd descent from here.
    6 Get to carpark early. Walk up through gate at half way. Follow fence up and follow fence left. 5 mins walk will get you to midway of the new ascent route. Watch the leaders battle and struggle up the steepest part of the course. Walk back to tourist route and watch them descend the trickiest steepest section.
    7. Anywhere on route back to village. If youre supporting a runner a wee slug of energize, lucozade and moral support is most appreciated here. The turnpff at St Annes Church of Ireland is a good spot.

No matter where you support from, bring a camera upload the pictures and share (the organisers will link to your site) . Runners love pictures and mementos.

Good luck everyone. Try your best and enjoy the craic after.

Best of luck everyone and T Runner tomorrow

Unfort wont be running but will be up the mountain taking pictures and will hopefully put up a link tomorrow evening or Sunday

Once ya hit the cairn, its all plain sailing(well kinda :) )

Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

What time does the race start lads?

greetings wrote: »
    What time does the race start lads?

3pm

Well done to all runners.

Great race and excellent organisation as usual.

Here is a few photos from the day

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53381986@N02/page11/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

I came across this on you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVUPJH3t6ek

• Advertisement

Jeez, that wind was a killer on saturday! Glad to get it finished but it was a hrad ay at the office. Great craic after though. I went in the marquee and a band were playing "long way to the top if you want to rock and roll" from the end of School of rock. Worth all the training to join the headbangers for that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

dam forgot about this.
    i was going to go and take some pics from the top of the mountain.

Advertisement