Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Cork, good gym/area advise

Options
  • 18-04-2010 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi all,

Will be moving to Cork in a months time. Got a job with EMC, Ballicling.

Will be looking for a 1 bedrom flat with parking near city center and a good gym (steam sauna and large free wights section).

Any advise are welcome :)

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

rubicon99 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Will be moving to Cork in a months time. Got a job with EMC, Ballicling.

Will be looking for a 1 bedrom flat with parking near city center and a good gym (steam sauna and large free wights section).

Any advise are welcome :)

Regards

are you looking for gym near city or near emc? oriel house leisure club in Ballincollig is close to emc and has good free weights area and pool etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭rubicon99

Thanks for the replay corccomp. That's the thing, i haven't decided yet.

Like want to be close to work but also close to city center, say 10-15 minutes walk perhaps. Optimal would be in the city center, but guess Parking is hard to get/expensive and so is the rent. Also want to live in good safe area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Thanks for the replay corccomp. That's the thing, i haven't decided yet.

Like want to be close to work but also close to city center, say 10-15 minutes walk perhaps. Optimal would be in the city center, but guess Parking is hard to get/expensive and so is the rent. Also want to live in good safe area.

it depends on your budget really,there are a few new apartment developments in the city centre which have parking,but as you say they are expensive,
    would you share a place with someone? that would give you more options,
    if you are travelling to work at rush hour i would only look at the southside of the city,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭contenttypes

corkcomp wrote: »
    are you looking for gym near city or near emc? oriel house leisure club in Ballincollig is close to emc and has good free weights area and pool etc.

ya i agree with above...havn't been in there but its def the nearest to work and thats always the best option as you can make it part of ur day..on the way to or from work..no excuses! lol!

depends how into weights u r. I go to a gym in town, has loadsa free weights and plate loaded equip...but its more of a hardcore bodybuilding/weightlifting place...no cardio etc and no extra's! just d weights - but i love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

I'm actually working in EMC myself, there's a gym in work which isn't too bad, no pool or anything, but if you're just after weights and cardio then it's probably got all you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Bassfish

I live in Ballincollig too, unless you have a particular reson for living in town, you'd be as well to rent in Ballincollig. Tons of new housing estates so there's bound to be plenty to rent far more reasonable than city places. You're still close to town and several gyms. I go to the Mardyke arena gym because i'm a UCC student so it's free butstill worth paying for. there's a leisureworld in bishopstown which is close, the oriel hotel in Ballincollig also has a good gym

Viper_JB wrote: »
    I'm actually working in EMC myself, there's a gym in work which isn't too bad, no pool or anything, but if you're just after weights and cardio then it's probably got all you need.

Hi Viper,

guess i will be seeing u there then. Will be working on Swedish market. Yeah HR girl said that there is a gym at work, but she said it wasnt very good and she said sometyhing else (can't remember) that put me off. Also i wouldbe looking for a gym with lots of girls, keeps the motivation level up sort of :). do girls from work train there?

I can safely say, forget the work gym. there are no free weights at all, just one big multi function station.. it has all the important weights though 2 X cross trainers and 2 x treadmills and a bike + rower.

Bassfish wrote: »
    I live in Ballincollig too, unless you have a particular reson for living in town, you'd be as well to rent in Ballincollig. Tons of new housing estates so there's bound to be plenty to rent far more reasonable than city places. You're still close to town and several gyms. I go to the Mardyke arena gym because i'm a UCC student so it's free butstill worth paying for. there's a leisureworld in bishopstown which is close, the oriel hotel in Ballincollig also has a good gym

Hi bassfish,

No perticular reason, jost for the sake of having close to home after a nigh out or not have to travel for long when i wanna go for a shopping or coffe during weekend.

So Ballicollin is not far from City center. How long does it take with bus/car to city? Also you know how much would a taxi be during nigh? Perhap there are some good pubs/clubs in Ballicollin?

Sorry about all the questions, but have no choise :(.

I can safely say, forget the work gym. there are no free weights at all, just one big multi function station.. it has all the important weights though 2 X cross trainers and 2 x treadmills and a bike + rower.

Thanks corkcomp. Dosen sound to exciting :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Hi bassfish,

No perticular reason, jost for the sake of having close to home after a nigh out or not have to travel for long when i wanna go for a shopping or coffe during weekend.

So Ballicollin is not far from City center. How long does it take with bus/car to city? Also you know how much would a taxi be during nigh? Perhap there are some good pubs/clubs in Ballicollin?

Sorry about all the questions, but have no choise :(.

No worries man, There's a pretty good bus service between Ballincollig and the city centre €3.10 each way and takes about 25 minutes. B.collig is 6 miles from the city. a couple of decent pubs, the rest are dog rough as is the one club. Ballincollig's a big place so depending on what end of it you're in would normally be €15 to €18 in a taxi from town. In terms o shopping, we have a good enough shopping centre here. There's actually little enough you would HAVE to leave ballincollig to buy. There's a few nice restaurants and wherever you are in Ballincollig you are close to the By-pass. EMC is at the end of the by-pass, worked there myself. The by pass gets you onto the south link road quickly, which is cork's answer to the M50 ccept you don't feel like commiting mass murder everytime you use it. any other questions just let me know
    BTW; the mardyke arena is seriously good for perving on the ladies;)
    There's also an OK cinema in Ballincollig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

There are apartments in a new build next to Jury's, on the Western Road. From there, you are practically in the city centre and about 10mins walk from the Mardkye Arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

There's also a free work bus in the mornings that runs through Ballincollig, pretty handy if you're not driving I've gotta membership in leisureworld - bishopstown, pretty good - definitly not as good as the maradyke for the ladies, but it's handy to get to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭contenttypes

Also i wouldbe looking for a gym with lots of girls, keeps the motivation level up sort of :). do girls from work train there?
    def dont go to my gym then as there only bout 5 girls in there! probly leisureworld or mardyke ur best bet then...

Viper_JB wrote: »
    There's also a free work bus in the mornings that runs through Ballincollig, pretty handy if you're not driving I've gotta membership in leisureworld - bishopstown, pretty good - definitly not as good as the maradyke for the ladies, but it's handy to get to.

Hey Viper, between what time dose the bus goes to EMC and back to city?

Yeah leisurewolrd and Maradyke could be something.

here ya go

Thank you soo much Corckcomp. I actually thought that the bus went from city center directley to EMC with no stops, so this is great info :eek:

Thank you soo much Corckcomp. I actually thought that the bus went from city center directley to EMC with no stops, so this is great info :eek:

no prob! ive deleted post now cos the pdf is from an internal site .. pm me if you need a copy though

Bassfish wrote: »
    the rest are dog rough as is the one club.

Is that place on the main street next to a Chinese the club ? Thought that was closed years back. How bad is it ?

Hi all,

Many thanks for your replay's. Any thoughts on Wilton town? Looks like it's in good postion between city center and EMC.

Also anyone been to NRG health club, think it's in Jurys Inn hotel.

Cheers:confused:

Yeah, Wilton is fine. It has a large Tesco nearby, and a few other shops/amenities.

• Advertisement

Wilton is central alright, but I dont think there is anything more there than you would find in Ballincollig.. maybe less if anything..

Wilton is central alright, but I dont think there is anything more there than you would find in Ballincollig.. maybe less if anything..

Well, it's close to the city. I have no idea why a young person moving to Cork would want to move to Ballincollig. It's like moving to Swords, or something.

Well, it's close to the city. I have no idea why a young person moving to Cork would want to move to Ballincollig. It's like moving to Swords, or something.

I suppose if it meant being two minutes drive from work, that would matter to a lot of people, along with the fact that ballincollig actually has more amenities than wilton

Hi Flamed Diving,

hehe, I'm not that young, will be 37 in May But that's on paper only as they say.

But you are right, I dot wanna be to far from city center, but also dont wanna spend to much time commuting to work. Like first year i moved to Dublin from Sweden i spent 2.5 hours commuting back and forth to work every day, was so sick of it. 15 minutes either way would be optimal and close to a ghood gym with lots of ladies :D

I suppose if it meant being two minutes drive from work, that would matter to a lot of people, along with the fact that ballincollig actually has more amenities than wilton

But Cork City has a lot more amenities than d'collig.
    Hi Flamed Diving,

hehe, I'm not that young, will be 37 in May But that's on paper only as they say.

But you are right, I dot wanna be to far from city center, but also dont wanna spend to much time commuting to work. Like first year i moved to Dublin from Sweden i spent 2.5 hours commuting back and forth to work every day, was so sick of it. 15 minutes either way would be optimal and close to a ghood gym with lots of ladies :D

Yeah, then Wilton is a good choice. Or anywhere on or parallel to the Western Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭magooly

Lee road is close to dcollig and the mardyke gym, there's river towers apartments up there, quiet with parking but on relation to what's available they're not great tbe honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 FAE 2008

Hi there im thinking of buying in Lisheen Fields, The houses there are now €365K and look decent value. Does anyone know

A How much these houses go for ?

B what the area is like?

Any help would be much appreciated, there appears to be loads of boy racers in the Apple station across the road??

Thanks.

FAE 2008 wrote: »
    Hi there im thinking of buying in Lisheen Fields, The houses there are now €365K and look decent value. Does anyone know

A How much these houses go for ?

B what the area is like?

Any help would be much appreciated, there appears to be loads of boy racers in the Apple station across the road??

Thanks.

no idea about the house prices but its a good area. having said that there is always going to be "activity" around a 24hr service station and ive seen 10 - 15 cars in there a lot of Saturday nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 FAE 2008

What do you mean by "activity" .... do you think that would affect someone living in Lisheen? IE are they skiding and that around the petrol station?

I have no problem with boy racers, but the lack of sleep would be annoying.

Has anyone bought in Lisheen fields? Whats it like?

Thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I would give Lisheen Fields a wide berth personally. The area itself is fine. It has its share of boy racers but that's life. My gripe is that the houses are built almost on top of each other. The 15 houses that are built have been on the market for about 3-4 years and the builder hasn't built any more. In fact they have recently applied for planning to build lower density houses on the remainder of the site.

Advertisement