Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need tattoo advice.

• 18-04-2010 6:13pm

Looking to get something like:
    memento_mem_tattoo.jpg

done during the week except it's going to say:

Fact 6:
    do not drink

to celebrate my new found sobriety and to remind me when I start to forget my past (a la memento). Where would be a good place to get lettering like this done and what kind of price would I be looking at?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

First of all fair play on your sobriety (I'm sure it was tough!).

But have you explored different ways to express what it means to you? Maybe one of those warning signs with a pint with a big red x over it? Ok ok ok I know bad idea and maybe a little too literal! :o

If you're looking for fonts I'd say dafont.com. There are others that I can't think of right now though.

If you want to remind yourself I'd say the inside of the wrist/forearm area if it doesn't interfere with work (I know some jobs would frown on forearm tattoos which is why I'm putting it across like a disclaimer!).

Best of luck!

I've thought of a bottle of beer with a big /0 around it but that'd just look tacky. This is a personal tattoo in a personal place to remind me every morning and everytime I might get ready for a night out that I'm not to touch a drink in case I begin to forget about all the problems it brought me. That's why I wouldn't have it anywhere public.

I know the idea mightn't be for everyone but I personally love it.

Also I'm willing to pay whatever price as long as the writing is nice and not sloppy.

Thanks again

Sorry just to let you know when I asked where is the place to get it done I didn't mean where on my body, I meant where in Dublin!

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭moonstreet

hi, ok, first off congratulations on your descision, I have a friend who recently made the same descision, so I know what a difficult descision it can be.

Next my advice is to maybe what you have suggested is not a wise idea. Im not trying to put you off having a tattoo, but maybe you could get something a little less in your face. How about visiting a few tattoo places, talking to the tattooist, looking through their books etc. Maybe you might find a design which symbolises the major change in your life in a more attractive way.

Please think hard about your descision, about your career and lifestyle. Even though this is 2010, unfortunatly there are still many careers and industries where visable tattoos are not accepted.

I have 3 tattoos, all of which are either on my back or the top of my shoulder. You need to be realistic about tattoos, and to think very carefully about the design and location. You will have it for the rest of your life so you want to make sure its just perfect in every way

I'm getting the tattoo in the same place as the one in the pic. It's on my leg up the thigh, I mean you can't even see it when I'm wearing boxer shorts (My gf drew a practice one on me).

And it being in your face is kinda the idea. I mean, it's only going to be readable from my perspective. I'm not sure if you have seen the film memento but if you have you'll know what I mean.

Anyways I'm gonna go into snakebite tomorrow and see what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Cool tattoo idea man. Your man in Mementos tattoos are so cool.

(Why is it everyone always advises against tattoos in here?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Looking to get something like:
    memento_mem_tattoo.jpg

done during the week except it's going to say:

Fact 6:
    do not drink

Go for it. But, I don't think "fact:" and "do not drink" make sense from a grammar/syntax point of view. "Do not drink" is a command, not a statement of fact, ye get me? "I must not drink" is a statement of fact.

See -

It is a fact that "do not drink".

It is a fact that "I must not drink"

Go for it. But, I don't think "fact:" and "do not drink" make sense from a grammar/syntax point of view. "Do not drink" is a command, not a statement of fact, ye get me? "I must not drink" is a statement of fact.

See -

It is a fact that "do not drink".

It is a fact that "I must not drink"

I know what you mean and I've mulled over it but I like the connection to the film. You know his tattoo's are "the facts". Fact's to live my life by I guess. Do not drink is a pretty big one, but I guess you'd have to know me :P

But yeah I've it printed out with the date I realised I had to stop underneath. I understand peoples concerns, and I might get a nice celebratory tattoo in a nice place after a year or two sober. But this is a 'memento' to remind me "Do not drink" and I like that it's just text and just readable from my perspective.

Anyways thanks all for the advice, much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Love the idea of this tattoo, and Memento is a fantastic film too.

Good luck with your tattoo and sobriety OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Excellent idea. Best of luck.
    Get what tattoo ya want. You dont need to go to tattooist to change what you want. Its your tattoo. Do what you want. Class film also. :)

• Advertisement

It's all done now :)

Well happy with it, looks pretty sick. I'll post a pic when it's all healed up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    It's all done now :)

Well happy with it, looks pretty sick. I'll post a pic when it's all healed up!

Jeez that was quick! Where'd ya get it done? Looking forward to seeing a pic :)

Jeez that was quick! Where'd ya get it done? Looking forward to seeing a pic :)

Yeah I guess I managed to find my balls :P

Got it done in Wildcat in Stephens Green.

TATTOO-1.jpg

tat-1.jpg

well this is it, still a little red and bumpy but my girlfriend took a quick photo so thought I'd share

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Very nicely done, very clean and clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Jaysus I didnt think you where going to have it done that quick. Looks good man. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭moonstreet

oh wow, well done, ok I admit, it does look really good... high five... welcome to the tattoo club, now just look after it for the next few weeks and most of all DO NOT SCRATCH WHEN IT GETS ITCHY :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

Hey man, I've followed your post from Non Drinkers and just wanted to say congrats on the decision and the ink; looks really well done :)

Advertisement