Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SAS/SQL/C++/Java/VBA

Options
  • 18-04-2010 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I see a lot of jobs (quantitative analyst-ish) that I would like to apply for, but usually one or more of these babies stands in my way. It is clear that I need to train myself up on at least two of them. So, I suppose I need your help in choosing the optimal strategy. I know that many syntax/languages/whatever have similarities meaning that skills I learn on one, can be transferred to another. So if you were to pick two, what would they be?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I would suggest that you're going to need some kind of formal qualification. It's not just a question of learning a programming language like Java for example. You need to be able to use it properly and understand why you do certain things within that language. Syntax is only a tiny tiny part of it.

I'd say it's worth considering the Sun Java certification in your position. It's relatively well respected and has a very clear line of study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I intend to do some kind of course in it. Any recommendations?

Now you'll need to get more specific I'm afraid. :) What kind of time would you like to invest? What kind of qualification do you want? Are you going to do it full time or in your spare time? That kind of thing.

Khannie wrote: »
    Now you'll need to get more specific I'm afraid. :) What kind of time would you like to invest? What kind of qualification do you want? Are you going to do it full time or in your spare time? That kind of thing.

These are the kinds of hurdles I run into:

-Distinctive ability in Microsoft Excel and Excel VBA as advantage
    -Demonstrated statistical ability and experience of using statistical software and techniques (S-Plus, R, SPSS etc) an advantage
    -Knowledge of SQL and manipulation of large datasets a distinct advantage
    -Programming languages (C++, Java) an advantage

Ok, so I know how to use statistical software, and have demonstrated this. so number two is covered. But I need maybe one or two of the others. I guess their use will also be in a modelling/statistical context. I won't be making games out of them, or anything. The above job is a graduate position, by the way.

Anyway, I plan to be working full-time, in the interim, so it will have to be a part-time pursuit. I don't know what kind of qualifications are out there, but just an accredited piece of paper that says I can tick one of the above boxes. I don't have to be trained to be an expert or anything. Just some level of competence.

Oracle Java certification definitely worth looking into IMO. You can do it from a book in your spare time.

• Advertisement

Oracle Java certification definitely worth looking into IMO. You can do it from a book in your spare time.

For entry-level Java, I can only find instructor-led courses in Ireland for €2300.

Oracle's website is a pain in the hole. Many, many rabbit holes. :)

This is a decent book. I looked into it before. Can't remember what the actual cost of the exam is, but it's under 1K if you've done the study yourself. I can move this to the programming forum if you like?

This is a decent book. I looked into it before. Can't remember what the actual cost of the exam is, but it's under 1K if you've done the study yourself. I can move this to the programming forum if you like?

I didn't realise there was one. Go for it.

Thanks!

Advertisement