Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there more cut-throat competition now?

Options
  • 18-04-2010 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭

A couple of years ago, It seemed to me that Atlantic/Woodies were more expensive than local North Kerry hardware shops, and I'm assuming that it was probably the same throughout the rest of the country. I've been getting the annual DIY disease recently:eek:, and have noticed that Woodies now seems to be cheaper than the local non-chain stores.

I'm thinking that, in order to compete and survive, the national chains might be more concerned that customers will keep away if the prices are too high, and the local stores, most of which have been in business for decades, will plod on with the usual price increases regardless, having survived through thick and thin since the 1920s using the same formala (and shedding a lot of staff in the process).

It could also be that the chains are being more realistic, and are no longer using their buying power to buy cheap and sell expensive.

Anyone got any views on this phenomenon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I have noticed Woodies has gotten cheaper than it use to be alright!
    I remember buying a picture hanging kit for nearly 6€ almost a year ago, and it can now be bought for 1.55€.
    Seemed expensive at the time, but seemed justified as there was a lot Tongue kit and some of the items were unmistakeably designed for pctures (hooks with nails etc)
    about time they caught themselves on in fairness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ShayMurphy459

I've noticed my local SuperValue in Killester is making a real effort - especially with own brands. But I've also noticed they have been dropping some Irish products (they used to stock Dalkey Mustard but not any more).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ejmaztec wrote: »
    and are no longer using their buying power to buy cheap and sell expensive.
    Yes, I they got away with murder since people have no idea what the prices should be. Powercity & woodies do this all the time, they might advertise a TV or paint cheap, you compare it to others and it could well be cheap, then people presume everything is around the same margins. In powercity they would have huge signs saying energysaving bulbs were "only €X" when in tesco they might be half that price -but people rarely buy some items and just believe the signs.

They must have huge stocks built up and not selling so are just doing what they always did, simple supply & demand pricing structure. The would be mad not to charge €10 for a bulb if people will pay it.

If you go into €2 shops you will see loads of hardware stuff that I would expect to be €5-20 in the likes of woodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Was in both Woodies and Homebase today looking at barbeques, my niece wanted to buy a starter bbq so she was looking at the smaller charcoal bbqs.
    Homebase were way way cheaper, their starter one was €21.99 compared to Woodies at €43.99:eek: for practically the same product.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 dolalu

I think that the indiginous retailers had to get real with their prices, the likes of Tesco, ALDI, LIDL, IKEA and B&Q have all brought much lower prices to the market, and the local retailers either had to follow suit or risk losing their customers, they are closer now than they have ever been, but i find that the non-irish retailers are still on average cheaper than everyone else (there will be some items cheaper in irish stores, before i get examples!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think that the subject matter of my first post was a flash in the pan. Chasing round looking for "Element" shelf brackets (which seem to be available in every DIY store, even the local one-offs), I had bought some in Carrolls hardware in Listowel for €3.95 each a few days ago. As I needed a load of them, I assumed that I'd get them a lot cheaper in Limerick.

Atlantic....... €4.49
    Homebase.... €7.40(feckin robbers:eek:)
    B&Q ............€7.36(
    do
    :eek:)
    Wickes........ €3.99

Unbelievable price variation for exactly the same item, and I'm back to the locals again:o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Skipper1984

Im 25 and set up my own business and i am up against the biggest hair and beauty supplier in the world they have a huge monopoly and I charge almost half the price of my competitors who have been ripping customers off for years

Insted of dropping their prices to counter act my new venture they slate my business and the quality of product i supply!!!! (it comes from the same suppliers!!!)

EVERYONE should shop around even if it saves you €2 we are being ripped of for too long!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

I find homebase fierce pricey, don't bother with B&Q as I find their own brand stuff is very poor quality.
    Go to a proper builders providers for the best prices.

Im 25 and set up my own business and i am up against the biggest hair and beauty supplier in the world they have a huge monopoly and I charge almost half the price of my competitors who have been ripping customers off for years

Insted of dropping their prices to counter act my new venture they slate my business and the quality of product i supply!!!! (it comes from the same suppliers!!!)

EVERYONE should shop around even if it saves you €2 we are being ripped of for too long!!!!!

See if your solicitor has got any ideas about going after them for defamation etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Fellani

Lads, I think you may have your blinkers on when you are in Woodies.

I seen the staff changing price labels in their paint dept, 2.5ltr tin of paint went up €5.48....!!!!!!
    Woodies = RIP OFF MERCHANTS

On the grocery side of things you cant go wrong with Dunnes or Lidl.

• Advertisement

Fellani wrote: »
    Lads, I think you may have your blinkers on when you are in Woodies.

I seen the staff changing price labels in their paint dept, 2.5ltr tin of paint went up €5.48....!!!!!!
    Woodies = RIP OFF MERCHANTS

On the grocery side of things you cant go wrong with Dunnes or Lidl.

You can never assume that Woodies or any other retailer is going to be more expensive than the others, as life is full of surprises when shopping around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Fellani

ejmaztec wrote: »
    You can never assume that Woodies or any other retailer is going to be more expensive than the others, as life is full of surprises when shopping around.

I dont assume Woodies is more expensive than any of the other retailers....I know, FACT.
    I spend alot of my spare time browsing diy/hardware stores etc and only after numerous price checks will I make a purchase.
    Added to that, their poor customer service, lack of staff, and the fact their stores look like a jumble sale, has just stopped me making purchases there in the last year! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I find all these DIY shops very expensive and they sell a very limited range of goods, and a lot of lesser quality stuff. Plus they have too few staff, who know nothing, and theres always a queue at the till.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 dolalu

BostonB wrote: »
    I find all these DIY shops very expensive and they sell a very limited range of goods, and a lot of lesser quality stuff. Plus they have too few staff, who know nothing, and theres always a queue at the till.

Hey Boston...by the sounds of it you are from the US and are used to the big stores over there (Home Depot,Lowes etc)

They are unbelieveable to walk into...like aircraft hangars!

Fellani wrote: »
    I dont assume Woodies is more expensive than any of the other retailers....I know, FACT.
    I spend alot of my spare time browsing diy/hardware stores etc and only after numerous price checks will I make a purchase.
    Added to that, their poor customer service, lack of staff, and the fact their stores look like a jumble sale, has just stopped me making purchases there in the last year! :eek:

The reason for my first post was that I'd found something cheaper there than my local hardware store, so your "I know, FACT" comment is a little silly to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Not really. I just find some of the small DIY shops better stocked with more variety of thing you actually need. These big shops have loads of the same stuff. But I often find they don't have what you need. They have a lot of rubbish too.

Advertisement