Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC - "We dont wanna pay for crap service!"

• 18-04-2010 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Ok - who's up for calling UPC and demanding that they heavily discount our bills. In their terms and conditions they state that if their service is not up to standard we would be compensated. A chap in the "UPC Issues" forum said he got a letter stating they would reduce his bill by 50% because of the network issues...

Seriously the only way we are going to make UPC get honest about their network going into meltdown because of the sudden influx of users on their new "fibre to home" packages HA! HA! - is if we hit them where it hurts - the wallet...

does anyone know of a way we can setup a website or sign an online petition to give to management? We could of course each individually write letters and emails in and quote the petition link... they need to see we are getting serious here and they cant keep expanding, taking money for nothing and then caliming areas are getting upgraded when Ive been old by their engineers its a fabrication... its not on and it just really freaks me out...

Check my speed out for a 30MB line - And you know what? Thats a good day... its without a doubt down to line retention... this morning at 7am I get 27.8MB per sec and slowly but surely as the day creeps in it drops... My mate in Swords is getting 4.3MB on a 15MB line....

http://www.speedtest.net/result/786485850.png

Enough is enough...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭disco girl

They have until midday tomorrow for someone to contact me about the service (from network) if no one does I'm getting on to a supervisor.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Dante

I'm getting 2.1MB/s on a 15MB line here in Portmarnock. This is the first time its ever been below 13MB in the 3 months I've been with UPC....If it doesn't pick up I'm definitely gonna spam them with complaints.

786635926.png

I'm getting 2.1MB/s on a 15MB line here in Portmarnock. This is the first time its ever been below 13MB in the 3 months I've been with UPC....If it doesn't pick up I'm definitely gonna spam them with complaints.

I've been complaining to them since 23rd March....I'm in Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

Hi all

In fairness I only got my UPC "fibre to the home" installed on the 13th and as such have not been able to give a proper "test run" if you will.

Like most of the threads in this section UPC are not providing the customers with the agreed services. This may be due to an influx from BT and eircom as another user mentioned and they cannot cope....not our problem, theirs!

Personally my speed is normally fine in the morning also, and as the day progress's it declines gradually to a crawl at 1800 and onwards. However today my max speed was 7mb and my low was 1.8mb...unacceptable!!

Regarding a petition I do not personally know how to set one up as you suggest, but what we do need is to somehow grab their attention and let them know this cannot and will not continue!

Either the performance improves or discounted fees applied to all account holders who have to suffer this utter nonsense.

But the question is how do we get their attention??

I will leave that question open to the floor.....

Regards
    John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

I had terrible problems at the start of the year when I got the upgrade from 10mb to 15mb, spent a lot of times on many phone calls and emails, eventually they put me back on the 10Mb, which has been fine and also charged me half for 2 months. If you ring or email them and tell them you want a discount they will do it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭saltie

They have offered me a discount...but only after they have found out and sorted the problem!! My issue with them is not the money, it's the fact that when my broadband starts acting up my home phone doesn't work.......and that's just not on!!

If they can't provide the services they shouldn't be advertising them.....

And as for a petition, we could set up a blog at Wordpress and we only need the one entry and the comments can be used to log all the names and the speeds/particular issues they are getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Dante

Hmmm, three hours after my previous test above where I got 2MB/s, I now get my usual speed of 14MB/s. I don't know what to make of it seen as I've never experienced any problems before today.

786774333.png

Hmmm, three hours after my previous test above where I got 2MB/s, I now get my usual speed of 14MB/s. I don't know what to make of it seen as I've never experienced any problems before today.

It normally goes back to normal speeds sometime after 1am!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Yep, normal speeds after 1am.
    Mine is normal now cept if I am d/l pages can hang, you know if their service is improving if after 6.30pm it holds up or goes to the normal sh.1t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

I was on to them today. I was on to them yesterday too but I made the mistake of calling around half 7 in the evening and was constantly told by each section what that i would need to take it up elsewhere, i asked to be put through to the formentioned elsewhere and was put on hold for 4-5 minutes then dumped out on there crappy voice bot service. this went on for a good hour.

Here is my problem with them when they installed my box 3 weeks ago for phone and 30Mb bb my gf asked them to put it where we have always kept our broadband router. The guy said that he could not do that as they would need to charge them more but would be happy to put it in our spare bedroom in the corner of the house as there was already a outside connection in there. so they install our router and phone in a box room in the upstairs of the house. (considerate of him to afford us the opportunity to exercise going up and down stairs and into a spare bed room to answer the phone.) Before that I will admit I made an error in giving them a digit wrong in my bank details. I immediatily followed that up with a email along with my id verification details (which included my bank statements anyway) to ask them to ammend it. I spent two weeks on the phone trying to get them to move the damn box and phone to where we asked them to put it. While on these called one of the guys mentioned that my dd had come back marked wrong account. I checked the number and sure enough the email i had sent had been read but ignored. the guy was alright about it and said that he would ammend my details there and then and would call for a double dd for next month.

I come home yesterday and find a letter waiting for me stating that 7.90 has been charged to my account and that if I do not pay by the 5th an other €10.00 will be added.

I ring up today and immediatly go to accounts and after waiting through all there bullsh1t computer garbage I finally get a human. I run through all the above with her and get the response "I'm sorry you were miss informed. would you like to pay by card." I ask if charges have been added to my account and she says "I cannot see any charges" where I ask are you saying there are no charges added to the account where she says "thats certainly not what I'm saying" its at this point that I lose the rag and ask what her complaints proceedure is. she says that she can log my complaint there and then (For all i know she was writing a email to a mate). I'm just getting home now and writing a email to be sure that the complaint is in and that I will be damned if I start paying late fees after there litany of cock ups.

Also MY NEW SSID IS "UPC ARE CRAP" for anyone on wireless in the area who is thinking of switching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Huh?

I also have had MAJOR problems with UPC (ironic that they have an advertisement on this page) but it all started just in the past 3 weeks.

Last June when my area was upgraded to fibre optic cable I opted to get internet and digital television with UPC. This will probably annoy everyone but everything went swimmingly (I was amazed too!) so in January I said I would take the plunge and also move over my phone service to UPC. There were a few hiccups with this along the way but nothing major. Again I was really happy with everything until about two weeks ago when suddenly everything went. Since Friday, April 23rd I have had no service of any kind from UPC. The worst thing about it is that no UPC technician has yet even come to my house after reporting it on April 23rd. I have made several appointments, none of which were kept by UPC. I have already sent my registered letter to UPC and all that jazz so I'm making a formal complaint to Comreg, cancelling my contract on Monday and requesting my refund. As you probably noticed I'm not quite up to a year with my UPC digital services yet but under section 11.5 of the contract (see the UPC website) I believe I'm entitled to pull out. I've written my UPC direct debit cancellation letter to the bank today.

The bottom line is, that for me, UPC was fine until something went wrong. They just don't have the technical staff to actually fix things. By leaving UPC I'm not going to have any phone or television for another few weeks (and never have any internet) but I think I'll get out while I can. It's back to Eircom with my tail between my legs.

In my case I don't wanna pay UPC for NO service!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

As I stated in the main UPC thread, my connection has been crap for
    at least 2 months at this point. Before that it was perfect and it was
    maximum speed regardless of the time of day, contention etc...

808441519.png

In fairness they are sending out an engineer next week as there is
    some issue with the modem. So hopefully I will be back to the good
    old days. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dark Nex

This whole UPC situation is hilarious. I'm looking into getting broadband soon and was considering UPC until I read the threads on this forum. The funniest thing is all the people who are still signing up to the company and then complaining about the service lol. You'd think people who were going to sign up for 12+ month contracts would do their homework ffs.

They are sending engineers out to homes to look at people's individual problems lol. Don't be fooled into thinking that UPC don't realise that the problem is on a greater scale. The engineers themselves may or may not know about the real problem but trust me when I tell you that an engineer is not going to be able to fix the problem at your house because that's not where the problem lies lol. Don't be too suprised if your engineer seems less than enthusiastic about fixing your problem.

A bit of advice for some of you. Look up a little act called 'The Sales of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980'. It amazes me that some of you think that you have to put up with this of service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Dark Nex wrote: »
    The funniest thing is all the people who are still signing up to the company and then complaining about the service lol.

Your assuming the majority of people signing or already signed up are seeing problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

I just think the UPC offer/price is just too tempting in Ireland. Where else can you get 15Mbit/30Mbit in Ireland for the price they are asking for. So most ppl that can get this service will take it and thats where the problem starts.
    I really think they just don't have the capacity to maintain full speed with all those ppl switching to UPC.
    Thats what happens when there is so little competition at certain speeds. Yes, if u are lucky u can get 20Mbit or so over Adsl if you live very close to the station but for most others that want high speed, UPC is the only alternative.
    I think it will take quite some time for UPC to increase their capacity - or some other company can offer similar speed for similar cost and some ppl will switch relieving pressure on UPC, although I dont see that happeneing anytime soon.

Overall I think UPC is a victim of their own success. Hopefully over time they will fix it.

Dark Nex wrote: »
    This whole UPC situation is hilarious. I'm looking into getting broadband soon and was considering UPC until I read the threads on this forum. The funniest thing is all the people who are still signing up to the company and then complaining about the service lol. You'd think people who were going to sign up for 12+ month contracts would do their homework ffs.

They are sending engineers out to homes to look at people's individual problems lol. Don't be fooled into thinking that UPC don't realise that the problem is on a greater scale. The engineers themselves may or may not know about the real problem but trust me when I tell you that an engineer is not going to be able to fix the problem at your house because that's not where the problem lies lol. Don't be too suprised if your engineer seems less than enthusiastic about fixing your problem.

A bit of advice for some of you. Look up a little act called 'The Sales of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980'. It amazes me that some of you think that you have to put up with this of service.

I'm fully aware of the scale of the problem and my point was by mentioning
    that it was "perfect 2 months earlier" was that I was one of the lucky ones
    that wasn't really affected by the 6pm-8pm contention problems. Now its
    even worse than that.

When the engineer calls out on Tuesday I will be sitting here at this
    computer with speedtest.net open to verify whether he has fixed it
    or not. If not I will be expecting to be downgraded to a 5Mb line or
    something to that effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Shiny wrote: »
    When the engineer calls out on Tuesday I will be sitting here at this
    computer with speedtest.net open to verify whether he has fixed it
    or not. If not I will be expecting to be downgraded to a 5Mb line or
    something to that effect.

Make sure you plug straight into the modem when you check your speed and try this speedtest too.

L'prof wrote: »
    Make sure you plug straight into the modem when you check your speed and try this speedtest too.

Yup, my main PC has always been plugged straight into the modem
    so they cant pull any of the "yeah wireless is the problem" bull****
    on me.

The speeds are just as bad regardless of whether it is speedtest.net
    or manget, but to make sure I will have both of them open on a tab
    to make sure. :)

Well the engineer hasn't called out yet but "something" has been
    fixed. :)

Note how it has been consistently **** for months and then this
    morning back to the good old days. Happy Customer :)
    (Will check this again at 6pm)
    speedl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Jomur wrote: »
    I have started a group on Facebook called "UPC are crap" please join and share

Their internet was crap in 2010, good luck with your facebook group, my 200mb UPC Internet is some of the best in the world........

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MOD: We don't reopen old threads, locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement