Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iphone gps app for cycling

• 18-04-2010 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone used an iphone app to track their cycle using gps ??

If so what one and was it any good ?

I have mapmyun but i've only used it once and it didn't track me at all, i must have done something wrong !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

Try "Every Trail" I just downloaded the free version and it looks pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

mapmyride

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭sean72

I know it sounds strange but I use runkeeper pro (there is a free version) it has a section for cycling and a great website to follow your progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

Will these use data or do they only use the GPS only, trying not to use my data allowance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

k123456 wrote: »
    Will these use data or do they only use the GPS only, trying not to use my data allowance

I believe they use data, but i have 1gb a month so lots to play around with.

i'll look up those above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

check out motionx its 2euro, i use it for running and it gives you everything, maps, distance travelled, average speed and you can use your ipod feature from within the app and listen to music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

jon1981 wrote: »
    MotionX

+1 for MotionX, Ive used it for running and cycling. Top App........

Only probably (and its with all GPS\Map Apps etc) the battery life isn't great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are you guys using a GPS addon or cellular GPS?

Well i'm just using the GPS in my iphone.

Well i'm just using the GPS in my iphone.

FYI its not really GPS afaik, its just a less accurate imitation based on phone towers. Its accurate enough in urban areas, but forget it out in the countryside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭sean72

FYI its not really GPS afaik, its just a less accurate imitation based on phone towers. Its accurate enough in urban areas, but forget it out in the countryside.

If its an iPhone 3G or 3GS then it is real assisted GPS and can be used in rural as well urban locations. I've been exercising using runkeeper (which uses the iphone built in GPS) and the accuracy is fantastic to within 5-10 metres. I live in the middle of nowhere. No cell towers to be seen.

sean72 wrote: »
    If its an iPhone 3G or 3GS then it is real assisted GPS and can be used in rural as well urban locations. I've been exercising using runkeeper (which uses the iphone built in GPS) and the accuracy is fantastic to within 5-10 metres. I live in the middle of nowhere. No cell towers to be seen.

Oh, I never knew it had full on GPS, still wouldnt buy one :p

Mine is a 3GS. I just ordered a holder for the handlebars on eBay.

I'll keep a little freezer bag in my saddle bag in Case it rains and I can cover it.

I hope to do 30k tomorrow evening so I'll try and post a link to my route and we can judge it. Going to use mapmycycle .

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kemase

I have 3gs and have used Runkeeper Pro a bit. It has improved a lot in more recent versions in terms of Gps accuracy.

On a long spin I've turned off Wifi and notifications to keep battery life usage to a minimum.

To be honest though, since getting a Garmin Edge last Christmas I've used it infrequently but the app is a lot cheaper and does quite a bit.

kemase wrote: »
    I have 3gs and have used Runkeeper Pro a bit. It has improved a lot in more recent versions in terms of Gps accuracy.

On a long spin I've turned off Wifi and notifications to keep battery life usage to a minimum.

To be honest though, since getting a Garmin Edge last Christmas I've used it infrequently but the app is a lot cheaper and does quite a bit.

I use my polar for running so can't justify shelling out extra for a GPS for my bike.........BUT i'm off to the states in Sept so who knows:D

Advertisement