Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does it take to setup your own ISP?

• 18-04-2010 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

Just an extremely random idea that popped into my head (maybe not the right forum, but can't think of another): Hypothetically, if I wanted to setup my own ISP, with only me as the initial customer (maybe expanding later etc.), what would I need exactly?

Would it be in any way possible to get a line directly into a house for instance, from a local exchange, without subscribing to an ISP or ?

How much would it cost (setting up and operating), and would you need to collaboratively set this up for a whole neighborhood just to simply make it affordable?

Not something I think I'd be seriously looking to do, just curious.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055883342

Lots a money.
    backhaul Fibre or Fixed Microwave links
    Would it be in any way possible to get a line directly into a house for instance, from a local exchange, without subscribing to an ISP or ?
    no. Though the discussion with eircom Wholesale might be interesting.

If you lived near a fibre you might connect direct to it for about €10,000... + transit costs per month.

You'd want a few more customers than just yourself, unless your name is Intel, Microsoft, Google, eBay/Paypal (I imagine they all have fibre at their Irish locations)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Funny enough I looked at getting a dedicated line some time ago through eircom and they quoted me 700/month + VAT for a 2MB line. Prices may have come down since then - BT would do you a much cheaper quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

A village in the UK have set up their own FTTC connection as BT wouldn't provide broadband for the village.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/14/rutland_bband/

Advertisement