Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting cycling again

• 18-04-2010 7:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭

Hi Guys I'm attempting to get fit again with a combination of walking, running and lately cycling. A few years ago cycling was always my favourite and since hoping the saddle again I've started to get the bug. However presently I have a 'giant' mountain bike. It was only 200-300 euro's a 4-5 years ago but I'm up to 10 miles now (I know it's only a stroll to many of you) but its chunky tyres are a bit of a drag and I cant get any decent speed. So here are my questions

What would you recommend as and upgrade? Between 500-1000 euro max.I want a bike for road riding but I'd prefer a upright handle bars. I was looking at the Giant Rapid 1 or maybe a Boardman Road Bike. You can probably see from my suggestions I haven't done too much research but there's a vast range out there and I'm a novice.

Any suggestions would be welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭Russman

Firstly, well done on getting back into cycling, I recently got bitten by the bug myself !

As regards a bike to buy, whether or not you can avail of the cycle to work scheme can have a big bearing on your budget.

If you see yourself moving up to substantial length spins, I'd say go with a drop bar road bike, these can be set up to accommodate an upright riding style (I needed this myself too).

I'm not expert enough to recommend makes & models, no doubt someone else will be along soon for that, you've mentioned the Rapid, the Defy is basically the drop bar version, so that might be worth a look too.

There's a million and one threads on here about choosing a bike, maybe do a quick search, plus everyone is generally very helpful.

Happy hunting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

+1 on road bike.

Worth noting that if you (or someone you know) has an axa insurance policy you can get 15% off at halfords.
    http://www.axaplus.ie/halfords_index.htm.

That makes their (already bargain) boardman bikes excellent value imo.Team Carbon for 1060 euros(with discount)has to be the bargain bike of the year imo..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭sean72

Thanks a mill. Yes I think I can avail of the CTW scheme. I'm not very sure how this works either. I hear you can get up to 42% back if you're on the top rate of tax back. Does this mean if you spend a 1000 your actual outlay will be 580? Or is that to simplistic.

As for the choice of bikes, yeah I had a search through the forum but the choice is massive, I guess I just wanted to narrow things down a bit.

I'm based in Cork so I was thinking of using Victoria Cross Cycles or Halfords as a starting point. But I'd love some sort of idea to go into the shop with as I dont wanna be excuse the pun 'taken for a ride' when spending a large amount of money.

papac wrote: »
    +1 on road bike.

Worth noting that if you (or someone you know) has an axa insurance policy you can get 15% off at halfords.
    http://www.axaplus.ie/halfords_index.htm.

That makes their (already bargain) boardman bikes excellent value imo.Team Carbon for 1060 euros(with discount)has to be the bargain bike of the year imo..

Thanks will look though insurance policies NOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

sean72 wrote: »
    I'm based in Cork so I was thinking of using Victoria Cross Cycles or Halfords as a starting point. But I'd love some sort of idea to go into the shop with as I dont wanna be excuse the pun 'taken for a ride' when spending a large amount of money.

It's not necessary to part with cash on your first visit :)

I'd just go in and chat to them (probably not Halfords). There's a lot to take in, and it's best to get briefed in person when you can see and touch examples of different bikes.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    It's not necessary to part with cash on your first visit :)

I'd just go in and chat to them (probably not Halfords). There's a lot to take in, and it's best to get briefed in person when you can see and touch examples of different bikes.

Yeah certainly wont be parting with cash on first visit. Only reason I was tempted by Halfords was the Boardman range, seem a lot of bike for the money

Yeah certainly wont be parting with cash on first visit.

Glad to hear it.
    As lumen says-best to go and have a browse and a feel and get an idea of what you feel good with.
    Maybe then post some more specific questions on here and people will be glad to comment. (or argue with each other over your head:D.)
    Boardman range, seem a lot of bike for the money
    Definately-but Halfords staff can be a disaster.I bought a bike for my friend in Halfords Cork last week (team carbon)and the guy was helpful and competent. There are a few clowns in there though.

Victoria x can be expensive in my experience. French guy who works there is knowledgable and helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭Russman

sean72 wrote: »
    Does this mean if you spend a 1000 your actual outlay will be 580? Or is that to simplistic.

Effectively, thats basically it. The main stipulation is that the employer buys the bike and you then pay for it by way of salary sacrifice, so the cost of the bike is deducted from your gross salary. Some employers use a third party, although this isn't necessary, and can sometimes limit the shops you can deal with. Best case scenario is that the employer agrees to write a cheque to the shop for the amount you haggle the bike shop down to. You can also include some items such a helmet, some high viz gear, waterproofs, lights, lock etc. in the price and get the benefit on that too.

If you pay for the bike yourself, I think there's a way of getting refunded but there may be BIK issues - I'm not sure of the details of this bit to be honest.

Glad to hear it.
    As lumen says-best to go and have a browse and a feel and get an idea of what you feel good with.
    Maybe then post some more specific questions on here and people will be glad to comment. (or argue with each other over your head:D.)

Definately-but Halfords staff can be a disaster.I bought a bike for my friend in Halfords Cork last week (team carbon)and the guy was helpful and competent. There are a few clowns in there though.

Victoria x can be expensive in my experience. French guy who works there is knowledgable and helpful.

Anywhere else in Cork you'd recommend?

Anywhere else in Cork you'd recommend?

Having dealt with all the bike shops in Cork and its environs for years there are none I would recommend over the others.Depends which member of staff you get. They are all expensive. This situation is not unique to Cork.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

If you can commute to/from work on the bike, you will build your workout into your daily routine, without having to take out extra time at the start or end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

If you can commute to/from work on the bike, you will build your workout into your daily routine, without having to take out extra time at the start or end of the day.
    I cant wait to get back to commuting by bike. I'm driving 3 hours round trip to the jobn I'm commissioning and its DRIVING ME NUTS..... sorry off topic rant.

But yeah thats the best thing about a long cycle commute, you get your commuting and excercise all done in one go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

Having dealt with all the bike shops in Cork and its environs for years there are none I would recommend over the others.Depends which member of staff you get. They are all expensive. This situation is not unique to Cork.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I think that this is critical. When I started I was always shocked at how some people who work in bike shops condescended to me because I didn't know enough. Now I work in one, and am very conscious about trying to get the level that the customer is at, and then trying to explain what the money they have to part with actually goes. If someone is talking what sounds like Greek to you, just ask them to explain exactly what it is they're on about, if they cannot explain to you relatively quickly what it is, it's normally because they don't understand it! There are so many varieties of manufacturers, product names, and industry terms that it can get confusing, but if someone knows their stuff, they should be able to demistify it pretty quickly.

Well its taken some time but after spending 1 month proving to myself that I will actually use a bike as part of my commute (using a old mountain bike) I finally decided to take the plunge and purchase a bike on the cylce to work scheme

I researched and went with the Dahon Vitesse P18 folder. It was only available in victoria cross cycles and the process is started (purchase orders etc).

I've found the guys in the shop OK they weren't fantastic at explaining the whole process to me but hopefully it will be OK

I have one slight concern (probably just being very paranoid!!!!!). But the guy in the shop said he used one himself, even toured with it and would bring it it for me to have a look at and a test run on. After a phone call from me he did which was great and just confirmed I'd made the right decision.

The only thing is that when I went back the next day to pick up some of the CTW paper work, I saw he had the bike on display on the shop with the full price on it. But I instantly thought he might try and give me this one.....he wouldn't would he??? The bike I've ordered costs 1000 euro, I'm sure there decent fellas in the shop....this sort of thing doesn't happen in the biking world?????

Sorry but I've been burnt by the odd car dealer in the past and I'm scared!!! They will give me a NEW bike???:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

The biking would where half the competitors are banned for drugs and the other half haven't been caught yet?? never:D

Seriously though I dont think some one would belt off and 'use' a bike and then sell it as new... that said who knows.
    The bike should be SPOTLESS, no dirt what so ever on the chain, handlebars, cogs, in the tyre grips. Look at the underside of the frame for any tell tale splash marks also inside the bottom of the fork which leads up to the handle bars for dirt or creases on the saddle, the brake pads should be shiny and all nuts and key holes clean. Also look at the back of the frame where you heel passes the dropout for any marks from wear (either by the chain falling off or someones heel clipping the frame during pedaling) Another spot could be the underneath of the saddle, again look for dirt or marks on the seat post from being adjusted.

You should probably say it to him though...
    Best of luck

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If it's being bought under the Bike to Work scheme, technically your employer initially purchases the bike, and it must be new to qualify for the scheme

The bike shop should know this -I am sure everything will be OK, but if they do try and give you anything but a new bike, don't accept it. They must give you a new one under the scheme

Yeah thanks lads, I'd say I'm being pretty paranoid and it will be grand. I will take all you've said on board if it goes pear shaped. I'm sure though its a reputable shop and my minds racing a head of me as its a new field for me.

I'll look forward to feeding back when I get my new 'mean machine' :)

Advertisement