Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog attacks sheep! Please help!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 S.T.A.R.S

Guys give me a break seriously. I didn't go out and kill the sheep. I own alot of dogs and have done for years. This has never happened before.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

S.T.A.R.S wrote: »
    Guys give me a break seriously. I didn't go out and kill the sheep. I own alot of dogs and have done for years. This has never happened before.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but that's feck all excuse for anything. If I've driven for years without an incident it doesn't make me less culpable if I'm distracted tomorrow and hit a person. You did screw up, so you have to make amends.

Personally I don't believe the dog is beyond help. Killing once does tend to mean it will happen again, which is why I advocated properly breaking it to stock, to reduce the chances of that happening. It's a good policy in any case, but is of course secondary to not letting it have the possibility of roaming in the first place. However, if you don't manage to control it, it's likely the same thing will happen. This is all assuming of course that the farmer doesn't request its destruction in this case, which is why you should be coming forth on bended knee.

There are some obvious points to make remedy there, but the first thing to do is to come forth and admit you screwed up and see what you can do to fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

you asked for advice and you were given lots ,YOU are the owner of the dog and are FULLY responsible for it's actions end of story you are legally liable for damage caused by your dog .!!!the fact that it has never happened before is not the point , it has happened ,now !deal with the issue find out who owned the sheep and sort it out with them , you buried the sheep for goodness sake , why? to hide the evidence or to stop it attracting attention from other dogs ??? by doing that you actually put the flock owner in a illegal position it's an offence now to bury a sheep all fallen stock have to be disposed of by a knackery
    you still don't know for sure if your dog DID kill the sheep are you willing to take the chance that it won't happen again
    just to put a financial lean on it for you , the sheep concerned was worth somewhere between 60-150 euro depending on breed age etc if it had lambs then add more
    if your dog gets out again and killed and chased a couple of dozen you are in for a bill that would make you wince

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Enrate wrote: »
    Yes, I offered a practical solution, not a sanctimonious rant.

Who's ranting? I certainly wasn't and I didn't think you were. :)
    Your solution was not practical. That's the whole point. If you took a dog on a long lead, with the intention of training it, into any field of sheep around here at the moment, you'd be lucky to get out with just a rollocking from the landowner.

That's what surprises me. For somebody who keeps several dogs, and has a pet business, you seem very unaware of the dangers they represent to sheep nearby. What if more than one dog had roamed and attacked a flock of sheep? You raised the matter. You asked the questions. And people answered. I can't imagine what kind of response you expected. I'll bet if you ask your Vet he'll give you much the same advice.
    You just need to fully secure your site and make sure neither this dog, nor any of your others, can leave your property - be it to the fields, hills or road. You owe this much to the general public and your neightbours if nothing else!
    I think the dog should be fine but you'd know more about him than any of us here.
    However, you really need to become realistic about keeping pets and about the countryside.

You also need to report this buried Sheep. There is a public health issue and legal requirement not to dispose of it like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Responding like this does not put you in a good light at all, if you were ever in a good one after you previous posts.

I feel very very sorry for your poor dog! You obviously do not understand the nature of your pet and what drives him and how to sort it.

You may not have killed the sheep but you are totally responsible for its death and its illegal burial. did you contact the farmer yet and pay up???

I find it hard to believe you are experienced with dogs judging on your posts, please think about the whole situation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement