Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what do spurs need to challenge for the epl next season

• 18-04-2010 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭

Forgive me if there is a tottenham discussion thread but I could not find it.

This current spurs team remind me of united in 99 obviously they dont have the quality of player but there approach to games is similar in that they always try to attack teams,maybe they need to learn how to be more conservative

Regarding where they could improve the team, I dont know maybe another centrehalf, a better midfielder than palacios and higher std of striker

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Spurs forum:)

I think they need a better striker alongside Defoe, better RB and maybe a left winger to get a better hold on 4th and to challenge City next year.
    They need an almost totally better team to challenge for the title though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Hopefully consolidating a position in the top four and champions league knock out rounds but who knows.

The one player I'd love to see brought in and I know this is crazy but higuain from Real there president seems to blame him for getting knocked out of the champions league and supposedly he doesn't get on with Ronaldo. Day dreaming apart and I know that I am daydreaming.

We could do with a packer right back then Charlie but as good defensively and we have a Brazillian DM already bought joining up in August.

Is dos Santos any good?
    He was class for me in FM last year.:P

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

A magician. ha. ha. ha.

In all seriousness though, the way they're racking up points this season, unfortunately I'd say they could do extremely well with a little more luck injury wise and significantly, a talisman. A Cantona or a Bergkamp type of player to take them up a level. Wouldn't necessarily have to be a no 10 (those were just the two most immediate examples that came to mind), just a really special player to rally around.

He's out at galatasaroy and doing very well would love to see him get a chance next season you should look out for him in the world cup I think he's going to have a really really good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I think they could do with adding more quality to the squad too. I think no Europa League has helped them in the league this year.

Mexico for the world cup.:cool:

Someone who can do something special when teams come and sit back for 90 minutes ala stoke hull wolves even villa to an extent very difficult to break these teams down and they just look for a goal from set pieces etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Another fantastic CM, and hope for the best that all their players stay fit.

I think Bale will be the number one LM next season, with BAE at LB playing well. They don't need any more strikers, but knowing 'Arry he'll buy another 5/6 just to be on the safe side - maybe someone like Chamakh, because no doubt Spurs will have the money and they'll be keen of splashing out on the best available.

Other then that, or perhaps another good CB with Woodgate and King out so often, they'd be sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

None of the above will lead to Spurs challenging for the Premiership, they probably aren't better than Chelsea in a single position, it'll be hard enough getting 4th spot, harder again consolidating it, challenging for the Premiership is a long way away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Walk before we can run! I believe a more pertinant question is - what do Spurs need to do to challenge for 4th and possibly higher next season and subsequent seasons after that?

I agree with the talisman idea, while there are plenty of strong characters on the pitch, there is a lack of someone who could do something special. Berbatov was capable of this when he was playing with Keane. Make a decision on King - keep him on playing one game a week at the most, or look for a suitable replacement. Not much outside that other than getting a bit of luck with injuries. Remember that Lennon, our best attacking outlet, has been out for over 20 games now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

CSF wrote: »
    None of the above will lead to Spurs challenging for the Premiership, they probably aren't better than Chelsea in a single position, it'll be hard enough getting 4th spot, harder again consolidating it, challenging for the Premiership is a long way away.

spoken like a true idiot, a single position............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

they have to hope none of their top performers are poached by the bigger clubs, but i think the epl is a pipe dream.

I am incredibally impressed in how when players got injured someone else stepped up and proved just as good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i think they need a couple of genuine world class players. i don't mean excellent players-which they have (modric, lennon, defoe etc), i mean world class like Torres, Drogba, Rooney good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

They need to ignore the media hype and the expectations of fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

It is slightly broad sweeping but he isn't too far off when you do actually start breaking down both clubs first 15 or 16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

they have to hope none of their top performers are poached by the bigger clubs, but i think the epl is a pipe dream.

I am incredibally impressed in how when players got injured someone else stepped up and proved just as good
    Get fourth spot this season and then ask the question again. You get fourth spot and you attract new players. An excellent season though for Spurs so far and they produced some terrific football yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

A solid top class centre back. King and Woodgate are too injury prone, dawson and bassong are good but i still think they lack something. After that consistency is the big thing, grinding 1-0's and so on. On their day they can match the best but then lose against the lesser teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think they are just missing one truly special player to challenge. The next Rooney or Ronaldo or Fabregas to carry them through games they are struggling in.

That would only get them to challenging though, to even come really close to winning it? I'd say they need another top class attacking midfielder. Somebody to take the load of Modric. Their defence is definately the weakest part of the team, and frankly, I think all those positions could be looked at, but central defence is key. And a striker who is better than Defoe but works with him would be nice, but not the priority. Defence and right wing should be the priorities.

PHB wrote: »
    I think they are just missing one truly special player to challenge. The next Rooney or Ronaldo or Fabregas to carry them through games they are struggling in.

That would only get them to challenging though, to even come really close to winning it? I'd say they need another top class attacking midfielder. Somebody to take the load of Modric. Their defence is definately the weakest part of the team, and frankly, I think all those positions could be looked at, but central defence is key. And a striker who is better than Defoe but works with him would be nice, but not the priority. Defence and right wing should be the priorities.

Don't spurs have one of the best defensive records in the prem, if not the best. Another top class midfielder would be nice but what team couldn't do with one of those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

A top class defender , a top class striker and consistency .Learn how to grind out those hard yards , those invaluable 1-0 's that always make the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

they wont be top 6 next season

Helix wrote: »
    they wont be top 6 next season

How insightful !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Is there a single position where the Spurs player is better than their Chelsea compatriot? I cant think of one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

If Spurs get 4th this season I'm gonna stick 20 quid on them to win the European Cup next season....and I support Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

drkpower wrote: »
    Is there a single position where the Spurs player is better than their Chelsea compatriot? I cant think of one.

Palacios > Mikel

Keep on thinking so maybe, the Chelsea players that would definitely start for Spurs would be Drogba,Malouda, alex or terry for consistency, cole would be a starter for me, most other mathups are extremely similar and matter of opinion.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Palacios > Mikel

I dont think Mikel is in the Chelsea first choice midfield 4 (not mine anyway) - Cole, Lampard, Essien, Malouda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭oconnon9

Going by Saturday's performance I could name 11!

• Advertisement

Keep on thinking so maybe, the Chelsea players that would definitely start for Spurs would be Drogba,Malouda, alex or terry for consistency, cole would be a starter for me, most other mathups are extremely similar and matter of opinion.

So what are the direct match-ups that spurs would 'win'?

And bear in mind your reaction to the comment that spurs would not win a single position was 'spoken like a true idiot' which certainly suggests there is at least one position where you believe there is a spurs 'banker'.... Your comment above that most of the match-ups are 'extremely similar and matter of opinion' suggests that perhaps, you were, eh, talking out of your......:rolleyes:

Essien for sure too, would really make spurs a force to be reckoned with

oconnon9 wrote: »
    Going by Saturday's performance I could name 11!

Yes; and there are about 7 Wigan players that would get into the Arsenal side too....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I think youre way off. Chelsea are better in practically every position. These conversations are pointless though - it doesnt always come down to who is better man for man, its how they play as a team. I think United team is pretty weak man for man, but they have been challenging on plenty of fronts this season. They play well as a team and they have a great manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭oconnon9

Yes; and there are about 7 Wigan players that would get into the Arsenal side too....

not really. Arsenal dominated the game and threw it away. Chelsea were muck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Don't spurs have one of the best defensive records in the prem, if not the best. Another top class midfielder would be nice but what team couldn't do with one of those.

No. United have concedded 27 goals this season compared to Spurs 34. Chelsea have concedded 32, but then again they've scored significantly more than Spurs. Also Liverpool are ahead of them. Their defence needs to be better if they are to push on.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    No. United have concedded 27 goals this season compared to Spurs 34. Chelsea have concedded 32, but then again they've scored significantly more than Spurs. Also Liverpool are ahead of them. Their defence needs to be better if they are to push on.

My bad, thought I heard something about it though, maybe it was best home record.

So what are the direct match-ups that spurs would 'win'?

And bear in mind your reaction to the comment that spurs would not win a single position was 'spoken like a true idiot' which certainly suggests there is at least one position where you believe there is a spurs 'banker'.... Your comment above that most of the match-ups are 'extremely similar and matter of opinion' suggests that perhaps, you were, eh, talking out of your......:rolleyes:

Whatever ! I am not really up for the internet trash talking now but it is as already said, not necessarily about man for man, if you don't understand that you don't understand soccer (should I include roll eyes here).

Anyone that says that no Spurs player would get on the Chelsea team is an idiot, Gomes is playing unreal of late, Corluka is quality, Bale has stepped it up a level, Lennon, Dawson, Defoe, Modric, dont tell me these players wouldn't be looking for a starting place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

a spurs thread?! here? well i never....

um, the obvious? a new coach. harry wont bother the likes of fergie, wenger and ancelloti when it comes to winning PL titles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Frisbee wrote: »
    Palacios > Mikel

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on this post, and assume you put little thought into it.

If you have to compare one of the first names on the Spurs teamsheet with a Chelsea back - up to find a clear edge for the former club it says it all.

Players who have played 9 league appearances or more this season:

Chelsea

Petr Cech

John Terry
    Frank Lampard
    Nicolas Anelka
    Didier Drogba
    Florent Malouda
    Michael Ballack
    Ashley Cole
    Ricardo Carvalho
    Branislav Ivanovic
    John Mikel Obi
    Joe Cole
    Deco
    Michael Essien
    Paulo Ferreira
    Yuri Zhirkov
    Alex

Spurs

Gomes

Tom Huddlestone
    Vedran Corluka
    Wilson Palacios
    Jermain Defoe
    Benoit Assou-Ekotto
    Sebastian Bassong
    Michael Dawson
    Peter Crouch
    Niko Krancjar
    Aaron Lennon
    Luka Modric
    Robbie Keane
    Ledley King
    Gareth Bale
    Jermain Jenas
    David Bentley

To be blunt, Chelsea are 13 points ahead of Spurs with a GD that is over 2x larger because they have a far superior squad. I mean, seriously LOOK at the above lists, be objective, and reach the only reasonable conclusion.

All that said, Spurs have had a wonderful season, and if they finish the job from here they will be fully deserving of a CL spot. However, their priority over the summer should be on making two or three additions of genuine quality to get them through the difficult task of finishing 4th or better in what is to be a keenly contested top half of the table while playing elite European games on a Tuesday or Wednesday night.

Maintaining the heights they have hit thus far will require significant improvement on their behalf. Talk about bridging a massive gap between where they are now and the winners enclosure is ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Spurs will not challenge for the Premier League title next season. Christ, the amount of money spent and the amount of confident predictions made by fans over the years, none of which has materialised, and now the day after they stumble into fourth place because of every other challenger having a poor season they think they're going to win the league.

• Advertisement

Columbia wrote: »
    Spurs will not challenge for the Premier League title next season. Christ, the amount of money spent and the amount of confident predictions made by fans over the years, none of which has materialised, and now the day after they stumble into fourth place because of every other challenger having a poor season they think they're going to win the league.

But we never said we'd win it both myself and spusi said consolidate fourth has to be a priority? And that's provided we get fourth this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

Modric would definitely get into the chelsea team, ye seem to be rotating Ballack with Deco at present and he his better than them

Whatever ! I am not really up for the internet trash talking now but it is as already said, not necessarily about man for man, if you don't understand that you don't understand soccer (should I include roll eyes here).

Anyone that says that no Spurs player would get on the Chelsea team is an idiot, Gomes is playing unreal of late, Corluka is quality, Bale has stepped it up a level, Lennon, Dawson, Defoe, Modric, dont tell me these players wouldn't be looking for a starting place.

Not up for internet trash-talking......:D How were you feeling when you referred to another posters view that spurs would not win a single position as being 'spoken like a true idiot' ?.

As for the substance, sure, one or two of those players would be in with a chance of getting on the chelsea team, but in all cases there is a reasonable debate, and if the spurs player shaded, it would be tight (cech v gomes; bale v cole or malouda; defoe v anelka or drogba....). But your utter dismissal of another poster's view certainly suggests that there is no doubt in your mind that a Spurs player would get on the team. Something you seem to be rapidly shrinking away from. So maybe in future if you are going to thrash-talk someone else's reasonable view with abuse, you should think a bit more clearly about what you are saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

But we never said we'd win it both myself and spusi said consolidate fourth has to be a priority? And that's provided we get fourth this year.

Mate, what's the point? We've had our feet planted firmly on the ground all season, I still don't think 4th is secured but it's the same old story...cocky Spurs fans think they're better than they are...

Zzzzzzzzzzzz......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,807 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Personally, I dont think Spurs needs a huge amount more than what they have. Maybe 1 injury free central defender and maybe a bit more backup in the striking dept.

You need luck on almost every level to win the PL. Injuries to go for you, decisions during a match to go in your favour and overall, motivation and hunger.

Whats probably gonna happen with Spurs though is they lose one or two of their best players this season which will again knock them back abit.

Realistic expectations from Spurs fans next year would be getting into the top 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I haven't seen a single Spurs fan getting overexcited, not a single one.

Jesus, 4th Spot is a great season for them, and they know it.

they've been building towards it for the last few seasons, and now it's paying off.

The next thing for them to do is not challenge for the league, that would be madness, but to try to compete in and win next seasons "Race For 4th". It will be a harder battle next season, and this season's isn't even won yet.

Spurs should have no thoughts of challenging for the EPL next season, none at all, and anyone who thinks they should is an idiot. Spurs fan or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Des wrote: »
    I haven't seen a single Spurs fan getting overexcited, not a single one.

Jesus, 4th Spot is a great season for them, and they know it.

they've been building towards it for the last few seasons, and now it's paying off.

The next thing for them to do is not challenge for the league, that would be madness, but to try to compete in and win next seasons "Race For 4th". It will be a harder battle next season, and this season's isn't even won yet.

Spurs should have no thoughts of challenging for the EPL next season, none at all, and anyone who thinks they should is an idiot. Spurs fan or not.

Exactly. I'm delighted with our season so far - it's been up & down and at the moment it's very much up, though it's still all to play for. As a club we've had so many false dawns that if we get 4th we'll all be pinching ourselves to make sure we're not dreaming. Our goal for next season will be the same as this season - to finish 4th, or depending on how things go, possibly 3rd, but definitely not challenging for the league. We need to get into the habit of finishing in the top 4 before setting our sights higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

As has been said the important first step is to make a breakthrough into the Top 4 and specifically the 4th place. Its important that we try and do that this season as we know that Man City can spend the cash again and its unlikely that Liverpool will have as 'bad' as season as they have had this year.

If we can get 4th spot then the goal then is to consolidate this position next year. To do this we will need to be ultra competitive and will have to strengthen in some areas.

eg RB, CB and Striker.

But we do not need to make wholesale changes, keep the squad together and build on it and more importantly do NOT sell any of our top players ... Bale or Modric etc ... we've done that in the past and we end up trying to play catch up ...

Most of us Spurs fans have our feet firmly on the ground and know that between now and the end of season anything can happen. Teams will drop points and at the moment 4th place is in our hands and the team are playing well ... so we have as good a chance as anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

To bribe alot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Ush1 wrote: »
    To bribe alot of people.
    Wont work - city will be ahead of spurs next year and they dont need the cash:p

Maybe try to bribe united though

• Advertisement
Advertisement