Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore Beach, A Disgrace

Options
  • 18-04-2010 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

After spending a lovely weekend in Tramore last weekend, we decided to return this weekend as the motorway makes it so accessable.
    However after taking a look at the beach I realised that tramore town council ( or whoever is responsible for keeping the place clean) were not doing an awfull lot for toursm here. Is there any business owners from tramore on this forum? Do you not think that your rates should be used to benifit your town? Last week the place was heaving and there were 2 carparks closed and the public toilets were closed aswell. I know its only april but surly some one could have looked out there window and predicted an influx? I like tramore myself but with this level of incompidence i would wonder how many people there today will return.:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 pawsitiveleads

A late response to this post, but I'm not on the boards that often.

I am relatively new to the area, and I run a dog walking business, so I'm on the beach quite often now, and it never fails to amaze me that because I bother to pick up poop, I then have to spend pretty much the entire walk carrying a bag of poop in one hand!

Surely it is better to have bins available?! There's a big enough problem with dog fouling when there are bins, so this just makes the issue worse.

Is there nothing that can be done to help get more bins put out in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 deiselad

I must be missing something here. There are plenty of bins along the prom in Tramore. There may be an issue with the bins not being emptied regularly, but there are certainly enough bins. Pawsitiveleads, you make it sound like you are doing everyone a good deed by scooping the dog poop that the dogs that you bring there, put on the beach. You are required by law to clean up the mess. Maybe you should bet a beltclip to free up your other hand ;-)

I didn't mean for my post to come across in such a way. I simply mean that dog fouling is an issue, and that more bins would hopefully help. I may be wrong about this, so, apologies in advance if I am, but I walk the length of the beach away from the prom. Kind of to the left if looking straight at the prom, towards the sea... I hope that makes sense. As far as I know there aren't any proper bins out that way? I know there was a kind of improvised one made from one of those cockle baskets, but it is normally full. Again, sorry if my post sounded cheeky, it wasn't my intention deiselad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 deiselad

Yea, I guess there could be a couple down that way. To be fair, you do make sure that you clean up after the dogs. My gripe is that if you watch for 30 mins or so, someone's dog will foul on the beach, near the bins by the prom, and the owners will just leave it there. The same applies to rubbish. People leave a mess for someone else to clean up, even though there are bins within easy access.

Anyway, the bottom line is that we would all like the same thing, a nice clean beach for the enjoyment of both locals and tourists!

:eek: I know exactly what you mean!
    I've had more than a few incidents were I've stepped in poop just because people won't pick up. During the summer are there more bins out or anything? I haven't been on the beach during summer before, but I know Woodstown Strand have some kind of rules limiting dogs on the beach to a certain area, or only between certain hours. Does Tramore beach do something similar for the summer season? I'll have to check that out because the season should be starting very soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

I'm afraid dogs are banned from the beach from 1june-1sept from 11am -7pm , but Tramore has plenty of other dog walking treks so its hardly missed.
    I was onto the council about some form of bin further down the beach but I was told they were there before and people dumped their domestic rubbish in them, so their logic was if people are going to use them , then we'll take them away.

I thought they may be banned, but that's cool, it makes sense.

I also understand the problem with domestic waste being put in the bins, but I also see alot of domestic waste that just ends up dumped on the ground anyway. It's a tough one because I see both sides. Even if they would just put some kind of bins with a tiny opening so you couldn't fit anything more than a bag of poop in it!

Thanks a lot for the information rasper, it's much appreciated :)

you're welcome, I have to say you're very even keeled about the councils position , while I do think Tramore council are actually fairly good in general with the maintenance around the town. I think the excuse offered is fairly feeble. I imagine the reason they're no bins down there is that they'd have to empty them and once a service is offered its not as easy to take it away. The excuse is one of many I believe that are stuck on a A4 beside the phone in the councils office and used whenever a taxpayer makes an inquiry.
    Maybe I'm just too cynical though

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Popquiz_hotshot

I know this might be suited to the County forum but said Id post it here..

Has anyone been out in Tramore since the good weather kicked in??

I have been out there a few times over the last few days and the amount of rubbish left behind by people is disgracefull. Bins over flowing (council??) used nappies, cans, food etc etc The beach is a rubbish tip in parts and what are tourists going to say!!
    There must be a way to fix this without a beach clean every so often.

I love the beach there but Id worry what a dog might catch let alone kids or adults....
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

I'd imagine the tourists will say nothing, because they're at blame too.

There's little rubbish around in the Winter, and locals walk that beach all year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I was out there two days ago. Brought the kids out, hoping they'd have a good time there.

The tide was in and the water looked beautiful - crystal clear. As the amusement park was closed :rolleyes: we walked down to the part of the beach by the lifeguard hut. First thing we noticed was the smell of sewage, then the litter strewn among the sunbathers, then the eaten sweetcorn on the ramp with flies all over it. What should be one of Ireland's most beautiful beaches is actually one of the most disgusting. The prom is also disgusting as you have to watch where the pram wheels go, or where the little ones walk so that they don't pass through dog-sh*t!

Oh, and to the Garda walking up and down the prom checking cars for tax and insurance, I hope you had a productive day :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

yeah its bad alrite was out there sunday and people just upped it and left there crap behind em! And people wonder why us locals hate tourists taking over our town

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I suppose it boils down to Irish people in general having no pride in their country and generally acting like pigs when they leave their home area. Yeah sure, council could do more but at the end of the day, people should take their rubbish with them if there is no bin empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

This is typical of rural beaches all over Ireland, the lazy bastard council do nothing to clean these places up or support them... the places end up as **** holes as people will very rarely clean after themselves....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Has anyone been out in Tramore since the good weather kicked in??

I have been out there a few times over the last few days and the amount of rubbish left behind by people is disgracefull. Bins over flowing (council??) used nappies, cans, food etc etc The beach is a rubbish tip in parts and what are tourists going to say!!
    There must be a way to fix this without a beach clean every so often.

I love the beach there but Id worry what a dog might catch let alone kids or adults....
    :confused:

And dog poo :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Max Powers wrote: »
    I suppose it boils down to Irish people in general having no pride in their country and generally acting like pigs when they leave their home area. Yeah sure, council could do more but at the end of the day, people should take their rubbish with them if there is no bin empty.
    Absolutely true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

it was very bad out there Sunday with chip bags all over the place. saying that from what i could see most of the bins were full so people were just stacking them up beside them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cullen5998

Place is filthy. Its my closest beach and used to always go there. So horrible now though, i was almost embarassed by it as my girlfriend was with me who is from Kerry and had been at inch beach which is spotless earlier in the week. Brought her to Dumore east which was very clean and clear water.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

I went for a run there on monday morning and there was one lonely council worker picking up rubbish. I was also out there sunday evening and it was a disgrace with chip bags everywhere. What really got me was piles of chip bags beside bins where there was an empty large wheeled bin less than 5m away.
    I'm opening the flame wars here by saying it was definitely the tourists that were there and not locals or people that go to tramore regularly. Calling them tourists is probably being polite, lets just say most of the people I saw there sunday evening 'tour' the country as part of their normal lifestyle.

I'll always take my rubbish with me if i can't find a bin. I wouldn't be using this as an excuse to litter the place. I wonder what mindset the people have that drive out to rural area's at night and dump their rubbish on the side of the road, maybe their wheelie bin is full :rolleyes:

Saw most ridiculous one ever last week, a black sack full of grass clippings :eek: To lazy to even dump the grass over the ditch and bring the fecking bag with them :mad:

Maybe they'll start emptying the bins in Tramore from June 01st when the parking fees/fines ;) kick in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

That beach always got fairly manky as soon as the summer sun kicked in.

I think its disgusting that people dont take their rubbish home with them. Fair enough if the bins are over flowing the council arent doing their job properly, but dont leave your rubbish beside the bins. It will attract birds and vermin.

And also people who take their dogs to beach, stop letting them sh1t all over the place and then leave it on the beach.

Its just rotten down their at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i adore tramore. spent so many happy summer weekends there. loved camping in newtown cove and going to the amusements and the merries. shame to hear about all this rubbish. its the irish mentality that, era someone else will clean it. one of the many reasons why i cant wait to finish college and feck off to germany.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Note
    Folks - the forums are split up around Boards for various reasons. Yes, in this case the County forum is very quiet but its not going to pick up if people refuse to look beyond this forum and it wont help if people keep posting topics covering the county in this forum. The forum needs traffic, it needs discussions, and that wont happen until we effectively move all county related threads into their forum and bring the conversation there. You can browse easily between the two forums. :)

For that reason, this is being moved to the County forum as Tramore is not part of Waterford City. Also, since there is a topic already discussing this ill merge with it to create a mega thread. :)

Topic Moved & Merged

It was a good line alright :D

Unfortunately its a real dirty habit for Irish folk not to clean up after them selves, not teaching children to put rubbish into bins , or pick up their dog crap.
    One particular action that really viles me is when only probably one of the many camper vans (not travellers) decide to empty their chemical toilets into the grass by splash world or down the drains , leaving excrement and toilet paper everywhere. Then just drive off , yes I do look forward to September 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

There's a voluntary beach clean-up this Saturday, 29th May at 12 noon if anyone has an hour or so to help out. It's being organised by John Crawford who has organised a few of these clean-ups over the last couple of years. He provides trailers and litter pickers etc.

It's a shame that it's down to local volunteers to do what the Council should be doing. I don't know what our local councillors are doing about the situation, the dirtiness of the beach has been an issue for years. You would think that the necessary funds would be allocated to make sure the beach is cleaned on a regular basis. It is arguably the most important asset in the whole county, and yet the Council is able to make excuses about not having enough money or manpower. If the Co. Council can find hundreds of thousands of Euro to spend on a fancy road to Clonae beach, why can't they spend a fraction of this to ensure the Tramore beach is kept clean. Our town councillors who are also on the Co. Council have a lot to the answer for in this regard.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

We received a good few complaints through Discover Tramore and I spoke today with a councilor on this issue who explained the council simply have no funds. I believe restrictions are also in place for hiring additional staff from the government. I have been informed that some students will be starting in June to clean it.

In terms of how the council spend their money - its important to note they do not get a lump sum of money and told "Spend on what you want". Effectively, they receive funding for different projects - so the road would be covered under separate funds then a beach cleaner.

I have to applaud Crawford scaffolding for getting a team together and cleaning up the beach on a regular enough basis. Without them, the beach would be very poor indeed.

I am looking into doing similar myself to help out, ideally on weekends after a busy day or even during. I have often thought about handing out leaflets asking people to dispose of their rubbish in the nearest bin and to take rubbish with you if the bin is full in the interest of keeping our town and beach beautiful but I fear they will end up as litter itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I hope the hiring of students is for definite. I was aware of the problem with an embargo on hiring new staff, but hopefully they can get the students.

Re: the budget, yes I know there's different funds for roads and cleaning but I was thinking that they should still be able to allocate enough funds for cleaning when they are coming up with their budget for the year. As far as I see it, the reason they don't have enough funds is because they didn't budget for the necessary amount. That is a failure on the Councillors' part, as they sign off on the Co. Council budget at the start of each year, and they should ensure that there's enough money to keep the beach clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jupiter85

The county council seem to have a road sweeper going around tramore most mornings. I think its critical that tramore council invest in a beach sweeper or the community fundraise for one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jupiter85

I am looking into doing similar myself to help out, ideally on weekends after a busy day or even during. I have often thought about handing out leaflets asking people to dispose of their rubbish in the nearest bin and to take rubbish with you if the bin is full in the interest of keeping our town and beach beautiful but I fear they will end up as litter itself.[/QUOTE]

I dont think this would be a good idea, for the reason you mentioned. Maybe a public sign would be better.

Advertisement