Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore Beach, A Disgrace

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

jupiter85 wrote: »
    I am looking into doing similar myself to help out, ideally on weekends after a busy day or even during. I have often thought about handing out leaflets asking people to dispose of their rubbish in the nearest bin and to take rubbish with you if the bin is full in the interest of keeping our town and beach beautiful but I fear they will end up as litter itself.

I dont think this would be a good idea, for the reason you mentioned. Maybe a public sign would be better.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the leaflet idea was a short thought that would never work. Signs is something they have, but posters within beach front businesses might work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Could recruit people on the dole for a few 'voluntary' hours per week. Now there I said it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Beanies girl

I cant actually read all of the posts as i have somewhere to be. I am not from tramore but i have lived here for nearly ten years. When you walk the beach for 3/4 of the year its fine. The is very little litter, alot of the litter is from tourists and people coming from other parts of waterford for the day. Mayube there could be more bins - but people are well able to bring their sweets , picnics crisps etc to the beach they should damn well take their rubbish off it again. You cant blame the council, the bins could be empty and alot of people still cant be arsed to use them. If people would have the common decency to clean up after themselves there would be no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 7 johnny craw

Hi guys 3 years later i know but such is progress in theses difficult times. As on from tomorrow 24 june 2013 there will be a large cage with dog foul boxes on either side situated down by large rocks just before sand dunes. It would seem many beach cleaners like gathering rubbish but have no where to put it so they tie it up best they can but the wind often can undo their hard work so now they have some where safe to put it until the scaffold company who do the beach cleans empty it and the dog poop boxes also which are badly needed as dog walkers dont want a bag of poop hanging off their finger for an hour or two. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭SimonClarke

rasper wrote: »
    I'm afraid dogs are banned from the beach from 1june-1sept from 11am -7pm

It seems this rule is being ignored and not enforced then.. I've seen plenty of dogs on the beach during these hours over the last 3 weeks..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

How many people in this whole country have ever been fined the €125 for their dog(s) fouling a footpath??

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭thrilledskinny

I think dog poo, much as I do not want to stand in it, is the least thing I worry about when I visit Tramore beach.
    Dog poo washes away with rain and sea water, dog poo bio degrades very quickly and is organic.
    When I visit Tramore what I worry and rant about is.....
    The rubbish that is dumped in the car park from hell off the main strand and the litter that is left behind there and the waste that is washed up by the sea and the waste plastics that are starting to come away as the water washes in around the old dump....
    The fact that the council never seem to send some one down, not even weekly never mind daily, to clean up other peoples waste and dumped rubbish, from disposable bar-b-q sets, to beer cans, to broken toys, to sofas and black bags of waste, never mind haphazardly discarded poo bags!
    The people who leave their waste behind, don't care enough to be bothered to bring it home with them.
    The young people who drink and party down there and aren't raised or educated enough to care about their environment
    The people who dump their rubbish there, don't respect their country or worry what will become of it if every one did the same.
    The people who will dump recyclable materials from their cars and wont bring them to free collection points.
    The council who wont erect CCTV camera's to catch these people and to let on they even care.
    That the council doesn't even bother to regularly pick up the waste that conscientious people who care about their environment, like me, who would pick up even just one piece of waste each time they walk the beach, that then the council leave it so long to collect this waste that it has blown and washed away and re-dispersed !
    That people will wonder why no tourists come to this filthy dirty uncared for country in ten years time or less unfortunately...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I remember being in primary school when the UK 'Keep Britain Tidy' campaign started in the 1950s. Apparently it grew from a proposal at a Women's Institute national meeting, and took off from there. One of the main focuses was in primary schools, and the lessons that were emphasised at the time stuck with me, and apparently a lot of people, as it did make a huge difference to the country in terms of tidiness and non-littering.

An organisation like the ICA could do a great deal to create a similar situation here - it seems amazing that people need to be told to be tidy, but evidently they do. Tidy towns is a great idea, but tends to be local, visitors to a town need to be aware that they have the same responsibility towards it as the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

I think dog poo, much as I do not want to stand in it, is the least thing I worry about when I visit Tramore beach.
    Dog poo washes away with rain and sea water, dog poo bio degrades very quickly and is organic.
    When I visit Tramore what I worry and rant about is.....
    The rubbish that is dumped in the car park from hell off the main strand and the litter that is left behind there and the waste that is washed up by the sea and the waste plastics that are starting to come away as the water washes in around the old dump....
    The fact that the council never seem to send some one down, not even weekly never mind daily, to clean up other peoples waste and dumped rubbish, from disposable bar-b-q sets, to beer cans, to broken toys, to sofas and black bags of waste, never mind haphazardly discarded poo bags!
    The people who leave their waste behind, don't care enough to be bothered to bring it home with them.
    The young people who drink and party down there and aren't raised or educated enough to care about their environment
    The people who dump their rubbish there, don't respect their country or worry what will become of it if every one did the same.
    The people who will dump recyclable materials from their cars and wont bring them to free collection points.
    The council who wont erect CCTV camera's to catch these people and to let on they even care.
    That the council doesn't even bother to regularly pick up the waste that conscientious people who care about their environment, like me, who would pick up even just one piece of waste each time they walk the beach, that then the council leave it so long to collect this waste that it has blown and washed away and re-dispersed !
    That people will wonder why no tourists come to this filthy dirty uncared for country in ten years time or less unfortunately...

Along with the locked toilets at Newtown Cove on the Sunday of the last heatwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭blue note

rasper wrote: »
    I'm afraid dogs are banned from the beach from 1june-1sept from 11am -7pm , but Tramore has plenty of other dog walking treks so its hardly missed.
    I was onto the council about some form of bin further down the beach but I was told they were there before and people dumped their domestic rubbish in them, so their logic was if people are going to use them , then we'll take them away.
    It seems this rule is being ignored and not enforced then.. I've seen plenty of dogs on the beach during these hours over the last 3 weeks..

Or people aren't aware of it. I brought the dog down for a walk on the beach last summer and it was only after when I was getting a coffee and spoke to another dog walker that found out about the rule! We looked at a couple of entrances the next day to see if there were signs but couldn't see them. I must say I'd have been annoyed if I had been fined for a rule that I couldn't have known about.

They need notices at every entrance to the beach!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 johnny craw

Went down to beach last nite at 9 o clock all i can say is my jaw droped when i saw what people left behind. I went down dismorn with kids and some of their friends to do a minni beach clean. We filled 13 sacks in 40 mins . We only did the part in front of the surf clubs ect. But when i drove down onto the sand at 10 in morn people were happily lying down sun bathing in the middle of all the rubbish. I just dont know..people sure have changed. Im going down again tomorow morning im sure ill have something to do.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

There is some solutions to this;

1) Place temporary bins on the beach (yes people are lazy but its common enough in some resorts),

2) Empty the bins on the prom. Its unbelievable that during business hours the bins are overflowing and are not emptied. I appreciate the people who leave the rubbish beside or on top, its better than having it left on the beach and its usually in bags. But its unacceptable to have to do that.

3) The larger bins are awkward if you have a plastic bag full of rubbish. The slot for rubbish is usually too small. One of them across from Moe's Cafe wasn't half full but all the other bins around it were overflowing. The problem? Nobody could fit their rubbish in and nobody appeared to think of opening the bin to put it in.

4) There is supposed to be people cleaning the beach for the council. Not sure what the craic with this but if more people just had the cop on to put their rubbish into a bin that would be great. A few more anti litter signs and enforcement of the litter law wouldn't go astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

If bins are full then bring home your rubbish. Its not difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

If bins are full then bring home your rubbish. Its not difficult.

A Tramore Town Councillor has lashed out the level of rubbish being left on beaches around County Waterford.
    People who come to the coastline to enjoy the sunshine are being asked to take their litter home with them.
    Deputy Mayor Pat Finnerty says it's unacceptableHe says people wouldn't behave like this in other countries
    http://www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-news/184555-people-visitng-beaches-in-waterford-urged-to-bring-rubbish-home-wlrfmnews.html

Many visitors eat out during their stay in Tramore , normally mid-visit . - So most would not enjoy carrying around a bag of rubbish with them until they are returning to their car/B&B etc .

Find another solution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Many visitors eat out during their stay in Tramore , normally mid-visit . - So most would not enjoy carrying around a bag of rubbish with them until they are returning to their car/B&B etc .

Find another solution

That's just nonsense. If you go picnic in a secluded area what do you do after the mid-visit feeding? Just leave everything?

I raised the issues this morning with the council and it was explained that the bins were being emptied early morning once daily due to lack of resources and funding but the issue was being looked at to improve it. I got a call than later informing me collections would be twice daily for now and litter picking on the beach will also be improved.

The larger bins are part covered due to crows pulling rubbish out and also stopping household rubbish being dumped. That's why they can't be opened fully.

The tidy towns, who are doing fantastic work, put notices on the bins saying there were 75 along the prom and to either use them or bring your rubbish home. That's a very valid point and what the deputy mayor has said is also a valid point because people are leaving rubbish behind and that includes beer cans, mineral cans, clothing, bags of rubbish, coffee cups, and chip boxes. To name a few.

On another point; all take-aways and cafes in particular need to keep the front of their shops clean. Most are, some are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Speaking to a Tramore resident yesterday she said there had been a mega-improvement and that it was a pleasure to walk along the beach.

That's just nonsense. If you go picnic in a secluded area what do you do after the mid-visit feeding? Just leave everything?

Nonsense - we're not talking about secluded areas here .

Its about Tramore Beach / promenade .

Most secluded picnic areas , I've been to, have bins that are not over-flowing

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

I passes down by the lifeguard station yesterday morning just after 10am and i couldn't believe the amount of rubbish i seen on the beach. I was totally shocked. Never in all the years i have gone down there have i ever seen it so bad.
    Fair play to Crawford Scaffolding (I think that is their name), they had a group of people in yellow bibs picking up the rubbish that was left behind. You can't blame the council in any way for people being lazy fcukers and not either putting their rubbish in a bin or taking it home with them. It's pure ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Was a lady discussing the state of tramore beach today on the whineline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Find another solution

Absolute tosh. Bring your sh!t home with you and don't be a dirty bastard.

We were all on the beach on Sat/Sun. Council lorry doing the rounds emptying the bins, volunteers on the beac, and the beach was virtually litter-free (and the prom).

The only thing that's missing is that tractor they used drive up the beach a few years ago which levelled out the stones. And thats only a minor complaint.

Given the tens of thousands that were out there yesterday it was a credit to them.

I'll just give you an example of how lazy people are. We were sitting on the prom a few days ago. Couple next to us finished chips and I heard the wife tell the husband that it looked like the bin was full because a big bag of chip rubbish had been left on top of it.

He went over, put the chip rubbish bag in the bin, then put his own rubbish in. The bin had been completely empty.

Some people are just dirty b@stards. No matter what you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

I know this is not related to the hygiene of Tramore beach but could anybody tell me if I was to bring a large group to the beach in Tramore at around 11.00am some morning in the next week would the tide be in or out at that time. We want to set up some fun games on the beach but we would need plenty of space so the tide would definitely have to be well out. Would it be by 11.00am??

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    I know this is not related to the hygiene of Tramore beach but could anybody tell me if I was to bring a large group to the beach in Tramore at around 11.00am some morning in the next week would the tide be in or out at that time. We want to set up some fun games on the beach but we would need plenty of space so the tide would definitely have to be well out. Would it be by 11.00am??

Tidal Info:
    http://magicseaweed.com/Tramore-Strand-Surf-Report/55/Tide/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

dobbs2210 wrote: »

...did I ever offend you?

CopyofDSC08208_zps6169f56e.jpg

Unsightly sign on Tramore Beach

DSC08187_zpsfe6d2bd0.jpg

More on the other side - is someone trying to spell it out to sully :)

First one has been damaged a long time sadly.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

CopyofDSC08208_zps6169f56e.jpg

Unsightly sign on Tramore Beach
    that sign is damaged so long now that tucker is now 25

• Registered Users Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Dog fouling is becoming a serious problem again. In a space of 2 days roughly about a hour between the 2 I saw 3 dogs fouling and the owners not cleaning up. When coming down off the bank one area at the bottom of the path had least 4 different deposits. Fecking kill yourself trying to dodge them. Today right in the middle of the golden sand a turd was left. Up further on the dry sand kids were playing in the sand and dog crap not far from them. What I noticed is quite a few people just let the dogs run wild and of course out of sight they can say they didn't know there was something to clean up. If they started charging €50 a poop it would pay for itself to have a warden on duty and even make a few bob out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

are they allowed to leave the dogs free now that its the off season

Advertisement